Login

russian armor

Reskin the old factions: Ostheer and Soviets

29 Aug 2015, 23:48 PM

They'll never make alternate Infantry skins, because the skins are important in identifying a unit. This isn't a problem with vehicles because those are large and have distinct shapes. Infantry are small and roughly the same shape, so their skins are one way to quickly tell them apart.

Again this has to do with unit identification. Soviets are bright yellow-tan to make identification easy. Same with Americans who instead of olive green are fairly light green, which stands out and is unique, or Volksgrenadiers who have bright grey uniforms.

Absolutely irrelevant. Infantry units have never been and will never be identified primarily via the appearance and skins of their models. That's what the colored icons above them are for. Do you zoom in to tell Conscripts apart from Combat Engineers? No, you look at the colored icon above their head. If someone changes the camo, the cloths or whatever on them so they look more realistic, it has absolutely zero impact on the gameplay (unless they color units in neon pink or something maybe, but even that wouldn't really change the fact that the unit icon is the one ppl look at).
30 Aug 2015, 00:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2015, 23:48 PMQbix

Absolutely irrelevant. Infantry units have never been and will never be identified primarily via the appearance and skins of their models. That's what the colored icons above them are for. Do you zoom in to tell Conscripts apart from Combat Engineers? No, you look at the colored icon above their head. If someone changes the camo, the cloths or whatever on them so they look more realistic, it has absolutely zero impact on the gameplay (unless they color units in neon pink or something maybe, but even that wouldn't really change the fact that the unit icon is the one ppl look at).

You'd be suprised. It's more important than you'd think. At least for a lot of people.
30 Aug 2015, 00:49 AM

You'd be suprised. It's more important than you'd think. At least for a lot of people.

Dafuq...

30 Aug 2015, 01:12 AM

I've got the same problem too... its hard to identify if its a volksgrenadier or an obersoldat :foreveralone:
30 Aug 2015, 11:07 AM
Donator 11

In Groningen The Netherlands you do get free food at restaurants. Appetizers with bread and free drinks when you take a full menu.

And in the way you are putting it, isn't it weird that staff that take your orders while working in a company that charges you money for certain food items and then the staff expects you to give them money for the services they provide you (tips). While it is just their job?

If we factor this in, shouldn't Relic be giving us free skins because we play their game. Surely we should get some reward right, we are the loyal but small playerbase.

Relic is not expecting you to give any money (tips). You pay for what you want. Again, relic is a smaller company working on a niche genre for PC only, that alone reduces business opportunities. As long as they perform like this year, Im glad to pay for whatever little nerd-powered nonsense they throw at me to help them become bigger.

After all, its the only company which consistently produces triple-A-quality titles in the RTS genre (besides Blizzard, which really does not need any financial support at all).
30 Aug 2015, 11:55 AM
Patrion 14

I agree with OP, the Wehr and USSR need to be of the same care and eye for detail as the newest factions (IMO the best unit model in the game are the obers FWIW).

The camouflage grens suck, why not just use the far superior PzFus model from OKW tweaked slightly?

My other bugbear is Wehr vehicle crews wearing helmets. Virtually all images show them wearing soft caps.

Lastly, the Russian combat engineers look like farmers, not gnarly front-line combat troops. Give them camouflage suits like the summer-uniform snipers at least.
30 Aug 2015, 14:05 PM

Relic is not expecting you to give any money (tips). You pay for what you want. Again, relic is a smaller company working on a niche genre for PC only, that alone reduces business opportunities. As long as they perform like this year, Im glad to pay for whatever little nerd-powered nonsense they throw at me to help them become bigger.

After all, its the only company which consistently produces triple-A-quality titles in the RTS genre (besides Blizzard, which really does not need any financial support at all).

I see.

Coh2 a triple-A-quality title? Hahaha don't push it now
30 Aug 2015, 14:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2015, 23:48 PMQbix

Cons and engineers are blobed together so you cant see whitch are what by icon because icons are crossing . With that what we have now i will quickly target conscripts not sweeper engi, but when it will be mish masch i will have no clue whats going on
30 Aug 2015, 14:35 PM

I agree with OP, the Wehr and USSR need to be of the same care and eye for detail as the newest factions (IMO the best unit model in the game are the obers FWIW).

The camouflage grens suck, why not just use the far superior PzFus model from OKW tweaked slightly?

My other bugbear is Wehr vehicle crews wearing helmets. Virtually all images show them wearing soft caps.

Lastly, the Russian combat engineers look like farmers, not gnarly front-line combat troops. Give them camouflage suits like the summer-uniform snipers at least.

To distinguish the engineers from the sniper, I suggest that the camouflage was green or other type of camouflage.
30 Aug 2015, 19:33 PM

The .50 cals on these vehicles :P

The Combat Engineers are not meant to be Assault Engineers, those guys are already sorta-portrayed as Shock Troops. Although if Shocks had demo or satchel they'd more fit the real-life role. The Combat Engineers in game seem like rear-echelon types, they lay mines, fix vehicles, and complain about combat ("We are builders, not killers, why are they shooting at us!?")
30 Aug 2015, 23:06 PM
Donator 11

I see.

Coh2 a triple-A-quality title? Hahaha don't push it now

Yes. CoH, W40K, DoW2, CoH2, all rts-games on the highest level of quality.

Have you played BF4? Or any alternative RTS-game of the past 5 years (again Blizzard is out of the equation because of soon(ish)(TM))?

CoH2 had a bad start with a lot of issues, but meanwhile its an excellent game, state-of-the-art graphics, solid balance, unique gameplay.

Funny how ppl are so used to their internet whining, that they cant see quality anymore.

31 Aug 2015, 00:32 AM

You guys wanna know something sad?

It's never gonna happen.

There was a thread a year back with over 1k votes. Just give up, relic doesn't care.
31 Aug 2015, 01:36 AM

The USF presentation spoils me when I play other factions.
31 Aug 2015, 04:04 AM

The .50 cals on these vehicles :P

The Combat Engineers are not meant to be Assault Engineers, those guys are already sorta-portrayed as Shock Troops. Although if Shocks had demo or satchel they'd more fit the real-life role. The Combat Engineers in game seem like rear-echelon types, they lay mines, fix vehicles, and complain about combat ("We are builders, not killers, why are they shooting at us!?")

Camouflage developed in the department of Engineering Institute (now 15 TSNIII behalf Karbyshev). Spread camouflage engaged the engineering troops. Sappers have always been a camouflage.
31 Aug 2015, 04:43 AM

The USF presentation spoils me when I play other factions.

Wait 'till you see the British, their skins put all factions to shame...
31 Aug 2015, 05:06 AM

Have you played BF4? Or any alternative RTS-game of the past 5 years (again Blizzard is out of the equation because of soon(ish)(TM))?

CoH2 had a bad start with a lot of issues, but meanwhile its an excellent game, state-of-the-art graphics, solid balance, unique gameplay.

Funny how ppl are so used to their internet whining, that they cant see quality anymore.

State of the art graphics?...lol. It looks good but its a mix of reused material and rushed in new stuff. Almost every unit and asset is scaled wrong. All buildings and assets are 30% smaller compared to the soldiers. Some of the new animations look also very cheap and actually worse to vCOH. Look at the off battle animations-units walk like synchronized robots something that the devs were proud to not do it in vCOH. Compare the uniforms and some of the units modeling with the original game, how well their helmets were tucked in their heads and a lot of other details. FFS they even mede the okw volks helmet round, how could they mess this up...

so yeah COH2 still holds the best RTS design but in no way it is a AAA title. I am sure they will fix it though if you give them more money.
31 Aug 2015, 07:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2015, 05:06 AMmrako
Almost every unit and asset is scaled wrong. All buildings and assets are 30% smaller compared to the soldiers...Compare the uniforms and some of the units modeling with the original game. FFS they even mede the okw volks helmet round, how could they mess this up.

There are scaling problems, the worst is the 222 which is CoH1's model. The scaling of other units was also terrible, like the M18 being the size of a Tiger I. Buildings are the same size as CoH1; small. They're small because buildings only serve to break up the map and as cover or strong points. Some buildings like the Soviet Apartments are more realistically sized, however. Huge buildings like factories are usually portrayed as skeletal wrecks that you can fight in and around. As for uniforms; Tan Riflemen, White Grens, Purple Pioneers, Etc :p

CoH2's scaling and skins aren't perfect, but they're better than CoH1's. I left out the animations talk because I don't remember much of CoH1's animations other than the fact that everyone was sprinting all the time. I don't know what you mean about the Volks Helmet, care to elaborate?
31 Aug 2015, 08:38 AM

Funny how Relic has gotten used to what every other gaming company does and can't seem to realize that they should focus more on quality than quantity. Releasing factions time and time again won't fix anything, let alone quality :wave:
31 Aug 2015, 08:50 AM

Funny how Relic has gotten used to what every other gaming company does and can't seem to realize that they should focus more on quality than quantity. Releasing factions time and time again won't fix anything, let alone quality :wave:

No he's right, people will whine about anything now. We already have people complaining that USF / OKW don't have any new doctrines while others complain that Relic is adding too much stuff too quickly. Gamers, and the internet in general, have just become very bitter and entitled.
31 Aug 2015, 08:53 AM

No he's right, people will whine about anything now. We already have people complaining that USF / OKW don't have any new doctrines while others complain that Relic is adding too much stuff too quickly. Gamers, and the internet in general, have just become very bitter and entitled.

Yet what I said was nothing but the truth, which you ignored :facepalm:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS