Login

russian armor

Help with counter sniping the soviet sniper team

24 Aug 2015, 03:32 AM

Was playing in a game where the Soviet player had two sniper squads by the five-minute mark. I was within a hair of finishing one when I lost my scout car at his base. I decided to try the counter-snipe. I put my sniper on hold fire immediately, I got him into cover next to the Soviet push. The Soviets fired a shot and were not in any cover so they stayed visible. I hot key clicked sniper and right clicked their sniper and nothing for a whole second then the squad disappeared. they fired again and then I tried attacking them and again nothing. I thought maybe the problem is when they are whole fire they cannot even attack when told to. When their sniper fired, I untoggled hold fire and my sniper shot a non sniper. So frustrating. Eventually they closed ranks on me as I was trying to hold my ground; their sniper squad suddenly revealed right next to my sniper. I quickly untoggled hold fire and he finally sniped the soviet team who was practically on top of him, with in a split second the second member of the team fired back and my sniper ate the dirt. I wanted to scream, how do you counter snipe?!?!
26 Aug 2015, 01:37 AM

26 Aug 2015, 12:53 PM

Double mortar is nice, or mortar ht.

Ostruppen works fine too, since they're so cheap to reinforce so you don't bleed mp so much, with ht support they make the sniper pretty much useless.

Stormtroopers are a nice choice too, but you have to be careful tho, you have to have them in camo, upgrade the STGs and play the waiting game for a while to get a nice chance to attack the snipers

These are the best options to get rid of the sniper, but countersniping is pretty hard and needs a lot of practice, the best choice is to wait for vet 1 and use the special fire ammo (Whatever it's called) and smack the sniper squad with that
26 Aug 2015, 13:33 PM

Look at this Replay. It very hard to pull this of but its possible!

26 Aug 2015, 15:39 PM

Try grens with lmg on camuflage or panzergrens that will be covered in obvious spot and when sniper come close bum and with attacking bonus he is dead in second
26 Aug 2015, 15:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge

4x Grens -> Tech up -> Flamer HT is a reliable build order to counter Sniper play. Do not engage on open fields where he can shoot your Grens and withdraw and shoot again. Stay behind shot blockers and defend your territory or capture external territories. If you want to attack then come from multiple directions. Once you got your Flamer HT push together with your Grens (who should reinforce if needed) and be careful about AT nades or Guards. Get a PaK40 as soon as possible to counter light vehicles.
26 Aug 2015, 16:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

4x Grens -> Tech up -> Flamer HT is a reliable build order to counter Sniper play. Do not engage on open fields where he can shoot your Grens and withdraw and shoot again. Stay behind shot blockers and defend your territory or capture external territories. If you want to attack then come from multiple directions. Once you got your Flamer HT push together with your Grens (who should reinforce if needed) and be careful about AT nades or Guards. Get a PaK40 as soon as possible to counter light vehicles.

I think if I tried this I'd get rekt.

Does it work at such Godly ranks, Theodosios? Flame HT is not in the meta at all and a T70 or ZSU would wreck it. I could see my PaK gun getting decrewed by snipers as well.

Those risks are necessary?
26 Aug 2015, 17:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge

I think if I tried this I'd get rekt.

Does it work at such Godly ranks, Theodosios? Flame HT is not in the meta at all and a T70 or ZSU would wreck it. I could see my PaK gun getting decrewed by snipers as well.

Those risks are necessary?

If your opponent goes for T1 and builds a Sniper squad he has spent an considerable amount of manpower into one squad which is basically only reliable in shooting your Grens. He cannot push with them without conscript support unless he wants to take huge risks and capping hostile territory is thus also risky especially if your Grens wait behind shot blockers. If you utilize shot blockers in a way Snipers cannot harm you you basically deny this huge manpower investement he made in the early game. Then going fast flamer HT should easily break his Sniper because a) he has no reliable way to counter your flamer HT; just drive away from AT nades; Guards shouldn't be a problem since you didn't let him shoot his Sniper much thus he doesn't have enough CPs; and even if he calls in Guards he delays his T3 manpower wise; if he back techs to T2 he delays his T3 and b) if you push with your Grens and he shoots you with Snipers you can just reinforce; it costs 30 manpower for each model BUT you will win versus his other infantry squads thus forcing his unsupported Snipers back. You take most of the map, get a PaK40 to counter light vehicles, tech further and possibly base pin your foe. If he tries to Sniper his way out hide behind shot blockers in front of his base. Unfortunately CoH2 maps have plenty of them.

And yes, it worked for me.
29 Aug 2015, 21:49 PM

Only the mortar idea is non-doctrinal. The camo idea is cool but o only like one doctrine that includes camo. Plus you have to pay for camo. I like mobile defense so ostruppen is something I often have but again is doctrinal. Storm troopers are also doctrinal and I rarely equip that doctrine in my loadout. I do use spearhead so I could also get mortar half but I often forego it due to 40 fuel input which delays my first tank especially if I want to get a flamer half or car which are nice.
29 Aug 2015, 22:00 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded. Any additional replays would be nice. Another issue with mortars is the snipers disappear often into camo so you have to use barrage ability but it only refreshes every so often. So what do you do when the snipers relocate to a new spot but your barrage hasn't refreshed? Click attack on nearest visible enemy or tell it to fire at snipers whenever they appear when taking the shot?
30 Aug 2015, 09:12 AM
Donator 11

You can use attack ground on spots where you expect them.

30 Aug 2015, 14:03 PM

Put your sniper in green cover, then hold fire and countersnipe. He cloaks so fast in green cover that sov sniper can't aim at him quick enough.
30 Aug 2015, 17:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2015, 14:03 PMJunaid
Put your sniper in green cover, then hold fire and countersnipe. He cloaks so fast in green cover that sov sniper can't aim at him quick enough.

I tried that multiple times and it didn't work. I can't load replay because game has patched twice since then. The first time I toggled hold fire off and the sniper squad was visible. I had line of sight but my sniper shot a penal squad. I quickly went back into hold fire and cloaked and we started a cat and mouse game of trying to reveal each other. They revealed again in open terrain shortly thereafter and this time I stayed in hold fire mode but ordered him to specifically attack that sniper squad. He did nothing for a whole second and then the Soviets cloaked. I would not get another opportunity to fire until the Soviet sniper squad was within a few meters of my sniper and the war had already turned irrevocably against me. At that point both snipers revealed each other and I released hold fire got off one shot to kill one of their two squad members and they immediately counter sniped me

Do you know of a better way to make sure you counter snipe the actual sniper? Clicking attack on that sniper does not seem to work, and releasing hold fire also backfired on me
30 Aug 2015, 20:21 PM

The Ostheer sniper does not counter Soviet sniper play, unless you have a great deal of micro superiority its the other way around.

Just as an alternative approach to what Theodosios outlined, I like to invest into a heavy t1 (usually along the lines of MG+5 Grens) and really ramp up the aggression, trying to push his cut off right away. One might think the MG kinda superflous in this build order, but I find that it really helps in getting cost effective engagements against a player who correctly screens with his Conscripts/Guards. Obviously, losing it is a big no no. Also imperative are minesweepers, as any good Soviet player will spam mines to oblivion with a sniper build.
However, in this patch, fastteching without T2 will not work unless in freak occurences, as the Quad will usually come out well before your PIV even if you have his cutoff for the better part of the game - I've only ever made it work once against a decent player. I'd also advise against scoutcars - these are actually not terribly good vs snipers, and will just stall your PIV.
31 Aug 2015, 13:26 PM

Do you know of a better way to make sure you counter snipe the actual sniper? Clicking attack on that sniper does not seem to work, and releasing hold fire also backfired on me

Also, the closer you are the faster the sniper aims. But the reverse applies too

I sympathize, it is tough. Try keeping hold fire on at all times and try to right click his sniper the moment he uncloaks next time.

Tbh, ost sniper isn't meant to truly counter sov sniper till he hits vet 1. Even then its dicey. Best bet is lmg grenadiers and/or fast ostwind/p4
31 Aug 2015, 22:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2015, 13:26 PMJunaid

Also, the closer you are the faster the sniper aims. But the reverse applies too

I sympathize, it is tough. Try keeping hold fire on at all times and try to right click his sniper the moment he uncloaks next time.

Tbh, ost sniper isn't meant to truly counter sov sniper till he hits vet 1. Even then its dicey. Best bet is lmg grenadiers and/or fast ostwind/p4

Cool, I did not know that; that is helpful. Thank you
2 Sep 2015, 11:56 AM

Cool, I did not know that; that is helpful. Thank you

You're welcome
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak