Login

russian armor

Enlight me about those so called "map hacks"

23 Aug 2015, 14:16 PM

More and more people are complaining about players using map hack. What exactly is that ? If it is viral, it is ruining the game. Will relic do something about it ?
Vez
23 Aug 2015, 14:38 PM

A map hack is used to see trough the fog of war.
23 Aug 2015, 14:53 PM

I have been playing this game since the beginning without suspect of map hacking but the last month I started to feel cheated in my games, having the feeling that the enemy knew all the mines and my troops position in fog of war. I hope relic can fix that problem.
23 Aug 2015, 15:06 PM

I have been playing this game since the beginning without suspect of map hacking but the last month I started to feel cheated in my games, having the feeling that the enemy knew all the mines and my troops position in fog of war. I hope relic can fix that problem.

Had some similar situations myself.

When I watched replays I saw that crawlers gave some line of sight which showed me either placing mines, showed my units's positions and sometimes my mine placement was just so plain obvious even I could have figured it out.

Sometimes I have my doubts as well, but hey, human nature and actions are predictable, so perhaps they know something we don't :foreveralone:
23 Aug 2015, 15:06 PM

The most vital phrase to remember: 95% of the map hacks accusations are delusion.
23 Aug 2015, 15:13 PM
Donator 22

The most vital phrase to remember: 95% of the map hacks accusations are delusion.

+1

and for the rest 5% there is an OKW unit called infrared Halftrack :sibHyena:
23 Aug 2015, 15:14 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

A Moderator may decide to lock this thread.

Please be aware of the following from the Site Rules

2.2 Cheating
Cheating is absolutely not allowed and anyone found to be cheating, publicly accusing others of cheating, or posting links to third party cheats, will be banned. Please report cheating directly to Relic via email: enforcement@relic.com. If you are not sure about whether or not you should post something on COH2.ORG, it's always best to PM a COH2.ORG Admin to ask first.
23 Aug 2015, 15:14 PM

http://www.quora.com/How-does-Blizzard-detect-maphacks-in-Starcraft-II

http://www.sc2sea.com/showthread.php?t=4535

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/2c2psa/do_most_people_realize_that_streamers_can_maphack/

TL:DR

Maphacking can work one of two ways:
It can either inject itself into the game, modify code to turn off fog of war directly or indirectly. Easy to detect.

or

Since everything about each player's state is saved on each client computer in order to run the simulation on each client computer, it is possible to access that information in memory and then recreate it in some sort of custom GUI.

And yes, it is possible (and easy) to maphack while streaming.
23 Aug 2015, 15:16 PM

A Moderator may decide to lock this thread.

Please be aware of the following from the Site Rules

I think the discussion is fine as long as it does not become a witch hunt.

Informing the community on the subject, I think, is fair.

Well and as long as people don't start blaming all their losses on map hackers. I think in my time playing coh2 (which has been quite a lot). I've only been convinced that two people have hacked. Although Relic has banned more than that in the past.

But yeah, it's extremely rare in coh2.
23 Aug 2015, 15:50 PM

please remove Blink_Mike's post as it could provide people a way to get a map hack!
23 Aug 2015, 15:58 PM

the only "maphacks" in this game are Partisan commander abilities like Radio intercept which tells what units enemy is building, also shows where enemy builds mines and Spy Network that shows all enemy units on the minimap.

23 Aug 2015, 16:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2015, 15:50 PMakula
please remove Blink_Mike's post as it could provide people a way to get a map hack!
hahahahahahhahahahha xD
23 Aug 2015, 16:09 PM

I think alot of the problem is the inability to detect cheating programs for this game. I won' whine too much on relic this time. SC2 has the same problem. But I wonder if more integration with other anti-cheat systems that might be able to detect it wouldn't be for the best.

Maphacks are so annoying because they can be so hard to detect even when you are fighting against it.
23 Aug 2015, 16:24 PM

I think alot of the problem is the inability to detect cheating programs for this game. I won' whine too much on relic this time. SC2 has the same problem. But I wonder if more integration with other anti-cheat systems that might be able to detect it wouldn't be for the best.

Maphacks are so annoying because they can be so hard to detect even when you are fighting against it.

If Coh2 could integrate VAC it would help a lot... Especially considering there isn't a lot of money to be made constantly updating a coh2 map hack to continue to avoid detection.

but yeah, even Blizzard with Warden has trouble preventing it in SC 2... and Warden is very powerful.
23 Aug 2015, 19:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

90% of the time your opponent is just better than you.
9.5% of the time, it's just little mechanics with the game.

Theres so much things that gives you information:
-Engine sounds
-Fences breaking
-Checking for base shape on FoW (applying to WFA)
-Crawlers
-You can check if a house is occupied or not
-Muni spenditure. No nades/flamer/LMG on first minutes? Mine/Demos.
-Intel abilities
-Tactical map synergies with some abilities (and some bugs).

That 0.5% is what it may you doubt. And still, you might be wrong.

PD: : is there anybody checking enforcement@relic.com ? Has anyone got a response from them in the last year?
23 Aug 2015, 20:43 PM

I've experienced this so much, just out of nowhere they just barrage my troops with no vision (I usually check this trough replays), move tanks to the flank that has no tanks or atguns, goes around the mines etc, if something like that happends once or twice a game I don't really care because it can just be luck, but after playing 5-10 games against the same opponent and he ALWAYS does the same shiet, it gets really really frustrating and it really cannot be "luck" every time. Usually I just drop the game and go to a new one
23 Aug 2015, 20:54 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2015, 15:16 PMCieZ

I think the discussion is fine as long as it does not become a witch hunt.

Informing the community on the subject, I think, is fair.

Well and as long as people don't start blaming all their losses on map hackers. I think in my time playing coh2 (which has been quite a lot). I've only been convinced that two people have hacked. Although Relic has banned more than that in the past.

But yeah, it's extremely rare in coh2.

Do you believe atleast one of them is still cheating? :luvCarrot:
24 Aug 2015, 03:00 AM

I really find true map hacks hard to believe in this game. I've been accused of it, I hope they watched the replays and saw the spotting scope.

Meh.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 29
United States 2
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %