Login

russian armor

AOE Suggestion to prevent squad wipes

1 Aug 2015, 07:00 AM

Make demo charges only usable on objects (buildings/bridges ect)
Fix squad spacing and done.
1 Aug 2015, 08:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2015, 21:09 PMsquippy
The same applies to vehicles, you quite often see friendly vehicles drive right through each other, because this minimises traffic jams.

Yeah but this goes both ways. I have had situations where my single Tank met two of my opponents tanks on a bridge, my tank went into halt to reverse, one of my opponents tanks with its speed simply clipped through my tank, ended up behind it, blocking it from reversing and it got nailed from both sides. :foreveralone:

It are these kind of things, combined with the rng galore, that will never make this game any kind of big deal in competitive play
1 Aug 2015, 12:45 PM
Patrion 14

I like this idea, but it seems a bit lazy to me. Moders have already shown that units can use formations on the move to avoid squad wipes, and good spacing in cover to benefit large squads.

Heck, paratroopers and NDA both show that its possible. Why can't we have more of that?
1 Aug 2015, 13:05 PM

Permanently Banned

Yeah but this goes both ways. I have had situations where my single Tank met two of my opponents tanks on a bridge, my tank went into halt to reverse, one of my opponents tanks with its speed simply clipped through my tank, ended up behind it, blocking it from reversing and it got nailed from both sides. :foreveralone:

I have been at the other end of this bargain many times, horrible exploit and killed many Panthers this way
1 Aug 2015, 13:16 PM

Instead of fucking around with AoE, Relic just needs to increase the spacing on Infantry squads. That would instantly solve most problems with AoE and squadwipes.

This.

Problem is obvious, I have no slightest idea why so many people are so keen on fixing what isn't broken instead of the core of the problem.

The problem isn't squad wipes, its part of the game, it will happen if you want it or not and getting rid of it entierly would be, well, retarded would be an understatement.

The problem is much more wipes then intended occur, because some intern messed up squad spacing for all infantry, yet for some reason squads like paras have no problem being nicely spread.

Units are NOT supposed to be immune to squad wipes, so suggesting the idea that will do so is simply a dumb suggestion.
1 Aug 2015, 15:04 PM

This.

Problem is obvious, I have no slightest idea why so many people are so keen on fixing what isn't broken instead of the core of the problem.

The problem isn't squad wipes, its part of the game, it will happen if you want it or not and getting rid of it entierly would be, well, retarded would be an understatement.

The problem is much more wipes then intended occur, because some intern messed up squad spacing for all infantry, yet for some reason squads like paras have no problem being nicely spread.

Units are NOT supposed to be immune to squad wipes, so suggesting the idea that will do so is simply a dumb suggestion.

Ok so to clarify you think it's OK for a 30 MU grenade to wipe a 240+MP squad?
1 Aug 2015, 15:13 PM

Ok so to clarify you think it's OK for a 30 MU grenade to wipe a 240+MP squad?

If its bunched up?
Yes.

Now, why its bunched up?
Because relic can't copy paste paras spread formation.
1 Aug 2015, 15:15 PM

I like this idea, but it seems a bit lazy to me. Moders have already shown that units can use formations on the move to avoid squad wipes, and good spacing in cover to benefit large squads.

Heck, paratroopers and NDA both show that its possible. Why can't we have more of that?

You may say it's lazy but it's the same reason that this game has only front and rear armor. Sure, you could have side armor but unless you incorporate a physics calculation that also takes shot angling into account it's not really worth it.

It's simple. If a grenade goes off in a group of guys the shrapnel will probably be absorbed by 1 or 2 members. OK OK there's probably the perfect scenario where 4 guys are in a circle (doing who knows what) in a bunker and a grenade lands right in the middle and no one crouches down or anything and the grenade fragments spread perfectly and kill all four guys.

Both in terms of reality/intuitive and game balance a single nade shouldn't have the potential to kill an infinity of soldiers if they are all on top of each other.

Like I've pointed out - squad formations only fix certain types of squad wipes. It still doesn't change various squad behavior and game engine issues (like soldiers stacking on top of eachother). Relic could laboriously go through and fix each one of these issues or make this simple change.

1 Aug 2015, 18:22 PM

That isn't really realistic; in fact grenades are rather under-powered by comparison to reality. Pretty much all the grenades in the game are of the 'defensive' variety, so called because they hurl shrapnel over a longer distance than the grenade itself can be thrown, meaning they can only be used safely from cover.

This is of course basically irrelevant to game design, though. I see no reason for making an effort to prevent grenades from causing squad wipes, this is neither necessary nor desirable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★