Login

russian armor

Relic wants your vote about blizzards

Only Relic postRelic 30 Jul 2015, 06:26 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Interesting mixed response. Not what I was expecting at all.
30 Jul 2015, 06:46 AM
Donator 33

I think the idea was nice but it was implemented the wrong way. Cold shouldn't do squadwipes, that is just way too severe. Deep snow is just annoying too, when your troops retreat in slow motion - perhaps have it work like fences for retreat-pathing? Stuff like that.

30 Jul 2015, 06:49 AM

The problem with the current blizzards is that they simply add a micro tax to the game of keeping your soldiers from freezing.

If relic really wants to improve blizzards they really need to make it so it forces players to actually play differently.

I think I would like it if blizzards actually locked down the map and made players forced to stick to heat sources instead of simply running from cover to cover. It would cause players to actually use the cold resistent units to search for campfires and the like to force the enemy to retreat.

Of course they shouldn't happen as much and retreating units shouldn't die from the cold too so it isn't so annoying.
30 Jul 2015, 06:49 AM

Maybe it (cold) could work like White Phosphorous? Take the health away from troops but doesn't kill the members.

Also vision block is cool, deep snow is a bit annoying, make squads move just a bit faster in that (but not the normal speed) ?
30 Jul 2015, 06:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 06:49 AMFlamee
Maybe it (cold) could work like White Phosphorous? Take the health away from troops but doesn't kill the members.

Also vision block is cool, deep snow is a bit annoying, make squads move just a bit faster in that (but not the normal speed) ?

I can find myself into this fix. But this shouldn't apply immediatly ofcourse ;)
30 Jul 2015, 06:54 AM

Excellent idea! I would support this actually.

No, it's just about the retreating squads. There is the real problem because if you enter in deep snow with your units, that was YOUR decision. The retreat path it's not your decision anymore. So as someone said already, when it comes to retreating squads, let's make it like in fences case: retreating squad should automaticaly go around that deep snow area.
30 Jul 2015, 06:59 AM

I can find myself into this fix. But this shouldn't apply immediatly ofcourse ;)

Of course, there should be small delay, then the bonfires could be useful still.

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 06:54 AMJohnnyB

No, it's just about the retreating squads. There is the real problem because if you enter in deep snow with your units, that was YOUR decision. The retreat path it's not your decision anymore. So as someone said already, when it comes to retreating squads, let's make it like in fences case: retreating squad should automaticaly go around that deep snow area.

Ok I respect that. Only for retreats should be adjusted.
30 Jul 2015, 07:15 AM

Remove. If they wanna keep it, just keep the sight restriction and remove every other debuff. Blizzard duration also needs changes.
nee
30 Jul 2015, 07:27 AM

Weather effects could be useful as tactical flavour in winder maps. That said, the way Blizzards are designed, doesn't really offer this because things like off-map abilities are removed. Which is fine, but your men also freeze to death and you have vision reduction. The only "upside" to Blizzards is that the same applies to the enemy.

I just think Blizzards and weather in this game should be fleshed out a bit more to allow for more tactical options when playing, and that at present, all it does is really just gimp everything, instead of changing the way you play, you just play with one hand tied behind your back.
30 Jul 2015, 07:28 AM

my only gripe is that they seem to hamper the performance, otherwise its one of the very few new additions to the game along with the deep snow. It has some issues but it is an honest approach to make the game more immersive which I like.

If we take this and true sight out we might as well kept playing COH1.
30 Jul 2015, 08:02 AM

• Decreased vision is a cool aspect. You can approach MG's and AT's without getting noticed quickly.
  • The freezing-to-death is a pain in the ass. It just slows down the game because you need to build a campfire and just stay with it for a while. Fun in custom games and campaign? Yes. Fun in automatch? No? Fun in tournaments? No.
  • Some blizzards take forever. It just stalling the game. I remember when playing with the bears, we just literally kept waiting and waiting until the blizzard was gone.

Decresed vision is an aspect that could be added in some maps by adding rain or day/night-cycle.
I'd love it, I don't know about the rest.

But anyway thanks for letting the community in on this one!
30 Jul 2015, 08:15 AM

Ask Sega to loan Relic to Microsoft, make a better Halo Wars RTS using the same principles as CoH2 man!
30 Jul 2015, 08:21 AM

The problem with the current blizzards is that they simply add a micro tax to the game of keeping your soldiers from freezing.

If relic really wants to improve blizzards they really need to make it so it forces players to actually play differently.

I think I would like it if blizzards actually locked down the map and made players forced to stick to heat sources instead of simply running from cover to cover. It would cause players to actually use the cold resistent units to search for campfires and the like to force the enemy to retreat.

Of course they shouldn't happen as much and retreating units shouldn't die from the cold too so it isn't so annoying.

You call it micro tax, I call it forceful teaching the noobs that cover is important and retreat at last man isn't the preferred option.

This is a double edged sword that makes you better at the game on the long run, but punishes you if you resist.
30 Jul 2015, 08:35 AM

The effects kind of cancel each other : reduced vision helps offensive play and grants flanking opportunities but deep snow, freezing to death and the lack of arty stifles you when you attack and punishes you when you try to retreat.

Its usually better to wait it out so its just a boring break in the game coupled with a frame rate reduction.

30 Jul 2015, 08:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 08:35 AMsamich
The effects kind of cancel each other : reduced vision helps offensive play and grants flanking opportunities but deep snow, freezing to death and the lack of arty stifles you when you attack and punishes you when you try to retreat.

Well said.
30 Jul 2015, 08:44 AM

blizzards are cool (pun intended)

the real problem is deep snow, as it encourages campy and sniper gameplay. i rather suggest removing deep snow penalties / make them not as severe / reduce the amount of deep snow in maps
Phy
30 Jul 2015, 09:28 AM

Come on guys, this is an oportunity to nerf the RNG in automatch.

I voted for remove it from automatch (but I would be happy if it gets changed too).
30 Jul 2015, 09:36 AM

Blizzards are a bad option.

Coh2 is about fast movement and flanking. Getting rid of that feature - even if it is just for some minutes - destroys the flow of the game. You are a sitting duck and can barely capitalize on your previous right decisions, because both players are stuck and essentially doing nothing at all.

Usually the players wait until the blizzard has gone, to do something again. Just send
your infantry to fireplaces and hope they don´t die. What does that have to do with a fast paced game?

There´s a reason lot of players have vetoed blizzard maps. Take away the option to veto all of them (because of an increased number of blizzard maps) and thus force players to play blizzard maps, will probably result in some not playing the game. Blizzards destroy everything that made Coh a great series.

I´m pretty disappointed that it´s not clear to all that:

Movement, flanking, constant attacks, infantry and vehicles working together

is better than

sitting around a campfire, not moving your vehicles because they can see 5m far.
30 Jul 2015, 09:42 AM

I just wonder, why only Volks are immue to blizzard when they are from western front, while Soviets units cannot get such an upgrade.
30 Jul 2015, 09:53 AM

Environmental effects should not punish players.

Blizzards also grind games to a halt and sometimes when the player needs to make that vital push to win a game they can't, they have no option but to wait and in a game where every VP and resource tick counts, that just isn't fair.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 29
Germany 744
unknown 21
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W