Login

russian armor

FestiveLongJohns - Kobunite, Ducati, Fearless Prince

29 Jul 2015, 22:18 PM
Patrion 15

Whats up you two, Kob, obviously we don't need an introduction. Curber, we haven't met yet, so if you'd like to join our TS, send me a message on steam and we'll get this thing started. I think having you two player each other while I spectate will be a good place to start, that way I can get a feel for your skill level and what we can work on.

If you have any replays you want analyzed post them here, and i'll leave you with the WONDERFUL guide from Budwise in his mentoring thread for starters: http://www.coh2.org/topic/37358/budwise-talesofvalor40-dart_striker-thedeafkid101-crummo

Also, this is a great watch as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-Sm9QkdHo
30 Jul 2015, 10:19 AM
Patrion 15

Heeeeey Festive! XD

and Curber - feel free to add me on Steam too.
3 Aug 2015, 22:13 PM
Patrion 15

Okay, here's the summary of the match you two played earlier.

When reading your opponent, things to look for:

1. Resource income (how much fuel have you had compared to your opponent)
2. Tech timings.
3. Commander choice.
4. Squad wipes.
7 Aug 2015, 03:39 AM

Hi guys, I felt like posting to let the other mentees who I am, my steam name is Fearless Prince Amazing|RNG -I had like only 800 hours thats nothing compared to others lol, I mostly play Axis on 2v2s - some 3v3s and 4v4s when I'm with my friends but mostly really 2v2, I do 1v1s as well but not as often as the other, I'm more confident when I'm playing with someone rather than alone. - Anyways, I'm really weak when enemy tends to come in great numbers, and Micro, I also tend to control multiple units at a time (3 at most) which costs me a lot when dealing with indirect fire.

Anyway, I've uploaded a win replay so that Festive (or others) can see what I can already do (idk if this is good or bad decision, or it'd be more preferable to upload a loss). and then from there, the next replay that I'd be uploading will be a loss, so that we can see errors or area that needs improving.

Fearless Prince Amazing|RNG Replay # 1

Hoping to play with the rest of the class soon :)

Edit1: Here's a loss Fearless Prince Amazing|RNG Replay # 2
10 Aug 2015, 07:03 AM
Benefactor 115

2 replays for you Festive:

Both are with Soviets, which I struggle with. I'm at a rudimentary level with them. I felt like I controlled the both games, but really struggled to close the match.

In both games I tired to emulate what good players do against me; be everywhere and dominate the map. I had trouble tracking all the units and lost several while multitasking.

Edit - Thinking about it this morning I think my tech timing was off.

10 Aug 2015, 20:35 PM
Patrion 15

So I don't end up feeling all left oot, here's a replay for you Festive!

Added another, this time in Automatch vs Zero. I tried to be more aggressive with my M5 to push the advantage - seemed to work well.

11 Aug 2015, 06:14 AM
Patrion 15

First replay review for Fearless is up!

16 Aug 2015, 17:02 PM

Thank you for the feedback Festive, I have no questions at the moment, I'm just gonna update on what I am up to. - I've been practicing on using snipers and scouts now, as well as timing my anti-tanks.

I got a question for Kob or Ducati, - how do you guys do that? like make the replay appear instead of the post.
16 Aug 2015, 18:07 PM
Patrion 15

Thank you for the feedback Festive, I have no questions at the moment, I'm just gonna update on what I am up to. - I've been practicing on using snipers and scouts now, as well as timing my anti-tanks.

I got a question for Kob or Ducati, - how do you guys do that? like make the replay appear instead of the post.

You just put [replay] (5 digit replay number in the URL) [/replay]

Also, the 2nd replay review of your cast will be up tonight Fearless.

I've been pretty sick for the last week so I haven't gotten a chance to check out the other replays. I'll get to them on my day off :)
18 Aug 2015, 16:11 PM
Patrion 15

2nd Replay review for you Fearless:
18 Aug 2015, 18:57 PM
Patrion 15

And here's the first review for Ducati!

19 Aug 2015, 05:42 AM
Benefactor 115

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer your question; How do I manage my units? I use the icons in the upper right hand corner. However, I still have trouble keeping track of everything on the field. Additionally I have been trying to work with the mini/tactical map more, but I'm finding its a hard habit to get into. I find I get too involved in the stuff right in front of my face.

Roger on:

Working the cut off on the left side of that map
Laying mines after the point is neutral
I will try and use maxims more vs the OKW.
I will try and be more efficient as to when I tech.
I was going after the Light infantry gun (in a couple situations) as I thought it was relatively unguarded. Similar to the units on the side of the map with a crap retreat path. With hindsight I agree it was too risky.
I will try and use infantry more with vehicles

Questions:

Could you do a video demo of pushing Volks around so the can't fire the shreks. I've tried doing it but I just ended up with a dead vehicle. Can you do this with any vehicle or just a light tank or greater?
Towards the end of the game I built a AT gun. Was that a good choice? Looking back I think it may have been a bad choice.

From my game with Kobunite, you suggested I use attack move to set up the Flak HT. Could you do a video demo of this as well? I've tried it but I just don't think I'm doing it right.

Could we get together on the weekend to for another TS session?

19 Aug 2015, 12:30 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2015, 05:42 AMDucati
Thanks for the feedback.

To answer your question; How do I manage my units? I use the icons in the upper right hand corner. However, I still have trouble keeping track of everything on the field. Additionally I have been trying to work with the mini/tactical map more, but I'm finding its a hard habit to get into. I find I get too involved in the stuff right in front of my face.

Roger on:

Working the cut off on the left side of that map
Laying mines after the point is neutral
I will try and use maxims more vs the OKW.
I will try and be more efficient as to when I tech.
I was going after the Light infantry gun (in a couple situations) as I thought it was relatively unguarded. Similar to the units on the side of the map with a crap retreat path. With hindsight I agree it was too risky.
I will try and use infantry more with vehicles

Questions:

Could you do a video demo of pushing Volks around so the can't fire the shreks. I've tried doing it but I just ended up with a dead vehicle. Can you do this with any vehicle or just a light tank or greater?
Towards the end of the game I built a AT gun. Was that a good choice? Looking back I think it may have been a bad choice.

From my game with Kobunite, you suggested I use attack move to set up the Flak HT. Could you do a video demo of this as well? I've tried it but I just don't think I'm doing it right.

Could we get together on the weekend to for another TS session?

Shreck pushing is risky with a vehicle like the T70, as it has a lot less health than a medium, but it can be used to good effect if the squad is overextended and unprotected. It's best done with vehicles that can crush as well, as you're likely to actually kill some models while your pushing the shreck around. Be careful with this though, if you crush the model with a shrek, it will pop up on another model that might be tough to continue pushing, you want to try and keep the squad bunched up. I'll upload a video of both shreck pushing and A moving the Flak HT later.

We can try to get some more games this weekend, but it'll have to be before noon or just after, I work from 3-midnight central us time.
25 Aug 2015, 09:07 AM

2nd Replay review for you Fearless

Thanks for the review Festive.

You mentioned that you wanted to know how I react to unlucky squad wipe, I typically just cuss over it and then get over. - If its like a sniper or a vet 3 upgraded squad, I always try to make a new unit to replace it, but most of the time, I just leave it be and continue investing on techs.

Got it on the halftrack, tho will it be worth it late game? It cost quite a fuel. - also, I've changed my load-out after watching the first review, I've added a command panzer, and also thinking of removing Encirclement Doctrine but keeping the close air support. - Can you suggest a second commander?

I've got a question, when is the right moment to upgrade a healing bunker? - I obviously need to work on MG Bunker management as you have said, is it still worth it if I keep being aggressive and building it defensively so that when I fall back, theres something to cover, or not to build it at all?

Is getting two panzer 4s good choice too? or teching up to t4 and then panther later on would be better?

I'm starting to use Sniper against USF but it gets extremely hard to micro and keep it alive late game, whats the ideal situation to call a sniper?

Thanks!
25 Aug 2015, 14:19 PM
Patrion 15

Got it on the halftrack, tho will it be worth it late game? It cost quite a fuel. - also, I've changed my load-out after watching the first review, I've added a command panzer, and also thinking of removing Encirclement Doctrine but keeping the close air support. - Can you suggest a second commander?

The halftrack is basically always worth it. It gives so much field presence. The idea is to create a hard point around it that can't be pushed off. Keep all your grens and your mg around it and control key points of the map. Use your pioneer squad to harass other parts of the map. (Be careful not to lose it!)

As for another commander, I would suggest Mobile Defense. The puma comes at 5 CPs and can give you the mobile AT needed to deal with the M5/stuarts that are the meta right now. The command tank is just crazy as well. The buff it gives is nuts, use it to anchor your hard point. The Ostruppen call in squads are also excellent for harassing parts of the map that you can't afford to send a grenadier too. This will force your opponent to commit at least one(likely more valuable) squad to deal with it, and weaken his main force.

I've got a question, when is the right moment to upgrade a healing bunker? - I obviously need to work on MG Bunker management as you have said, is it still worth it if I keep being aggressive and building it defensively so that when I fall back, theres something to cover, or not to build it at all?

Regarding bunkers, I wouldn't build your medic bunker until after you have your first pak on the field. Getting your AT out as fast as possible is the most important thing you can do as Ostheer. A medic bunker won't do you much good against a 6 minute M5 or stuart. I also think it's less important than getting an early LMG on one of your grenadier squads, the earlier you can start the MP bleed on your opponent the better. A good time to invest in a medic bunker is after you've established yourself on the field against a potential light vehicle rush, and before you tech to T3(if you plan on teching T3).

As far as MG bunkers go, I wouldn't bother with them. Good players will deal with them easily, and that 60 munis would be much better spent on another LMG for your grens or a teller mine. If you are struggling with keeping field presence, the halftrack is the solution, not an MG bunker. (No I won't shut up about the halftrack :P)

EDIT:I'm not a fan of bunkers, but they can be useful, just don't make it a priority. You can work one into your build in the mid game if you're floating some MP or resources they can be useful to be a nuisance at a key point.

Is getting two panzer 4s good choice too? or teching up to t4 and then panther later on would be better?

This varies on the game, but generally speaking I think a 2nd P4 is going to serve you better in most situations. Paks are such an effective AT gun that investing the fuel in T4 and a panther just isn't worth it in most games. One of the only situations that a panther could be worth teching to is against an IS-2. However, if you're playing with an OKW partner, let him build the panther, since he won't have to tech for it.

I'm starting to use Sniper against USF but it gets extremely hard to micro and keep it alive late game, whats the ideal situation to call a sniper?

The sniper is a map dependent unit. Maps like minsk, Rails and Metal, Crossing in the Woods, and Moscow outskirts are ideal for snipers because they generally have open sight lines, and limitied areas of the map to get surprise by enemy infantry. You can choose a sniper on other maps, but as you said you have to baby sit them in these situations and it becomes a real challenge to micro.

Snipers are very effective against USF rifle play and T2 soviet play (and T1 soviet play if you are patient enough. Basically you just use your sniper to keep the soviet sniper from going HAM, and look for opportunities to counter snipe)
25 Aug 2015, 14:56 PM
Patrion 15

Also, I wanted to mention that I was working on a video demo of shreck pushing, but it's a lot of work to edit all that shit together. I think it'd be a lot easier if you wanted to just watch me stream a video demo. It's really really simple. The jist is basically you just drive your vehicle into the model that is holding the shreck. If you keep that individual model moving he won't be able to fire.

Msg me on steam next time you're on and I can stream it for you.
28 Aug 2015, 07:57 AM
Patrion 15

Here is a game I feel like displays the meta for at least the first 15 minutes pretty well. My opponent goes M5, I go mobile defense. North side faymonville is tough as ostheer because you are so far from the fuel. Mid game capping power from ostruppen allows me to pressure all over the map, while the command tank and P4s allow me to hold in the mid game.

Had my opponent spent his fuel more wisely he could have punished my lack of AT. Especially at the ~20 minute mark. If he had gone shock rifle and called in an IS-2 I would have been in trouble. Likewise if he had tech'd T4 and gotten a T34-85 instead of picking a KV-8 commander he would have had much more momentum. The KV-8 basically threw the game for him.

31 Aug 2015, 15:23 PM
Patrion 15

If anyone else is interested in asking for personal help, feel free to post here. I'm willing to extend this beyond the initial 3 that I've been working with. :)
1 Sep 2015, 19:58 PM

If anyone else is interested in asking for personal help, feel free to post here. I'm willing to extend this beyond the initial 3 that I've been working with. :)

Hey man i pm-ed u in here so please check ur inbox when u have the time.
I am looking for a new mentor because i feel i can learn better if play 1s with ts guides.
If u still can take ppl please take me in.
Cheers XD
2 Sep 2015, 04:02 AM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2015, 19:58 PMrush

Hey man i pm-ed u in here so please check ur inbox when u have the time.
I am looking for a new mentor because i feel i can learn better if play 1s with ts guides.
If u still can take ppl please take me in.
Cheers XD

I'd be happy to play some 1v1s with you! Add me on steam and send me a message next time I'm on.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★