Login

russian armor

tofu :- Pheenyx;USFMain86;Steel;rush;Fearless Stalker;tanju

29 Jul 2015, 03:10 AM

Hi.

I'm making this thread for Mentoring Program.

First of all,Please give me some information if you still have a pasion for this program.
I need these information by the end of the month.

1)Your steam ID

2)Your history of RTS/FPS games(to know if you are used to games)

3)Your level of touch typing(select a~d)
  a)perfect touch typing include numbers
  b)only alphabet
  c)few character(Which one?)
  d)other(please write your situation)

4)An average amount of play time per week

5)Your factions(USF/OKW/Sov/WM) and play mode(1v1? 2v2?).
  *focus on 1 allies,1 axis,1 game mode is a good idea

6)Your problems in game if you know that

7)Your goal to this program(e.g.top 1000 as a USF in 1v1)

All these questions are related to setting your goal.I hope we decide your goal together.

My class will use your replay and I add a comment on it.
So please give me your replay which you lost.
Lost games are more effective than win games to show your weakness.
At the beginning,many replays are needed to make me understand your playstyle.
At the middle,1 replay each day is recommended to clear your problems.
After that,I don't need so many replays.I just use them to check your progress.

At last,I'll introduce myself.

I'm tofu. My steam ID is 76561198004222702.
As a Japanese veteranan FPS/RTS player,I took the lead in some games include "Left 4 Dead 2","R.U.S.E",and "Natural Selection 2".I have a history of winning a prize in these games.
I've played these games almost 10 years,so I'm fully understanding how to use my keyboard.

I've started to playing Company of Heroes 2 about 2 years ago.At first,it was very hard for me to play.I can't use even 1 infantry squad,don't know how to cross the Fence,how to drive a tank in reverse,how to...I mean everything.So I've increased the amount of my knowledge,improved my micro operations,watched tons of replays and twitch to understand strategy.

And what's the result?Well,I'm not a top 10,but I'm top 50 player in 1v1 mode and top 20 in 2v2 mode.
I belive everyone whcih has enough passion for it can move forward.So,let's begin our class!
29 Jul 2015, 03:15 AM

And I'm sorry to my poor English.
Please tell me if you can't understand my sayings.
30 Jul 2015, 13:01 PM

Steam ID: Pheenyx 76561198044236316

History:
Big AOE fan, played 1 through 3. Total War Shogun Fan, Got in to Coh about 3 years ago with vCoH, now in to CoH2. Big FPS Fan, mainly realism related (Battlefield, Arma, etc.)

Touch Typing: In terms of ability, I think I'd be somewhere between B and A. Quite competent with alphabet, but numbers I don't use AS often.

Playtime: Due to my current lifestyle, I'm lucky if I get 1-5 hours a week

Focus: Soviets & OKW 1v1/2v2s

Problems: Losing units, struggling to keep up with management, strategy and tactics

Goal as Mentee: To improve my overall playing ability, no real goal in terms of rank
30 Jul 2015, 14:00 PM

1)Your steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198075800034/

2)Your history of RTS/FPS games: Used to be a hardcore CS:GO player competitive with high rank. Into fairly realistic games like Red Orchestra 2 but prefer strategy (RTS/TBS/Grand Strategy) games these days.

3)Your level of touch typing: Between A-B. Just like Pheenyx, competent with alphabets, not so great with numbers.

4)An average amount of play time per week: 5-7 hours per week.

5)Your factions and play mode: Wehr and USF though I would definitely like to learn to play with the other 2. 1v1 and 2v2 with the occasional 3v3 with my brothers.

6)Your problems in game if you know that: Transitioning to a different stage of the game and reacting to opponent's play.

7)Your goal to this program: Top 100.
31 Jul 2015, 02:48 AM

I do 2v2's with USFmain. Maybe give me a little feedback too? k. :D
31 Jul 2015, 03:44 AM

To Pheenyx,

It's good to hear you are expert of RTS&FPS.I think you will be better soon.
I added you so let's start our class!

Although it's a regrettable that you can't spare much time to play,I think I can give advice to you.

At first,I need your replays to understand your playstyle.I need 2 replays at least.If you can,I want to watch 5 replays.

This is because I have to check why you lost units.I belive EVERY lost has its reasons.
For example,you may spread your unit everywhere you can't deal with,or you may use too big blob on the contrary.You may not use tactical map/mini map/squad control area properly.
The timezone of losing units is important,too.If you lose your units too early,there are many times that you don't understand the feeling of distance between basic infantry.Or there are many times that you move your units too far at a time and you forget about them.

If you lose your unit at midgame and lategame,you may have maximum limit of your operations or it's maybe a problem about concentration.

Anyway,losing units will be big damage to your resource.When you can overcome this difficulties,you become better.

I think I can also give advice about basic strategy for your playstyle.
31 Jul 2015, 04:47 AM

To steel,

Nice to see you here.I add you and let's start our class!

I played CS Source before,so I think it's quite a wonderful achievements of being high ranker of CS:GO.And I think that's one of the reasons you want to be top ranker in this game.

So first of all,I want to watch your replay to understand your current level.
Especially,I want to watch all factions(include Soviet&OKW if you play) to see your response regarding various situation.

I expect that you are not used to play this game so you don't catch up with meta.
Many meta were born and died day by day.I think every faction,and every game mode(1v1~4v4) has many meta.
So,if you want to be top 100,I hope you spare more time to play.
(I don't checked all but I think many rankers play 14 hours and more per week)
I won't say meta is all,but it's certain that meta makes us play easier.

Transit from early game to mid game,mid game to late game is a difficult decision.
Even high rankers sometimes miss timing and lost the game.
To know current meta,you can prepare for be used meta by enemy,and of course for using meta to build your order.

I think I can also give other kind of advice after watching your games.
31 Jul 2015, 04:50 AM

I do 2v2's with USFmain. Maybe give me a little feedback too? k. :D

Sry BlazedMaster,it's not your turn.
You should have applied Summer Mentoring Program 2015 first.
31 Jul 2015, 06:31 AM

Here you go, tofu. Not the best match I've played but I think it will do. :)
31 Jul 2015, 08:14 AM

gg.This replay told me a lots about you.

I feel you are better at the beginning and then getting worse.

Overall,I think you can improve midgame.You should have made your units together when you faced Soviet's T-70(or M5).This is my conclusion and below is some pointing out and sugeestion.

First,3 doc combination is good though I don't know how to use Osttruppen personally.
But I feel your bulletins should be changed.Generally speaking,people use Grenadier almost 100%.Furthermore,they often use 3 or more squads.However,Panzergrenadier is not so much used.
So,I think bulletins about Grenadier are more effective than bulletins about Panzergrenadier.
You may think this is a little thing,but I believe Jesulin and many other top 10 players pile up these little improvement.Only 1% improve will become 10% when you do it ten times.(In fact it'll become a bit more than 10%)

Second,your tech up speed from T1 to T2 is good.and your upgrade to minesweeper is also a good timing.Your production of Pak40 is so smooth.These three things are one of the most important action when you fight against Soviet.

However,you were defeated by Soviet's T-70.That's because you divided your unit into two groups and you have only 1 Pak40.So,T-70 could attack the group which didn't have a Pak.All you can do is shooting panzerfaust,it means you lost your ammo and you couldn't make health bunker.
If you stuck together your unit(like Counter Strike),they could cover each other and might kill T-70 easier.

In this patch,fast T-70 and M5 is meta.Jesulin once deployed his M5 at 6:11 !!!
When you faced Soviet,2x Pak40 or fast Puma(Mobile defense doc) is recommended.In fact,fastest StugG is too late for fastest M5.

I also estimate a few more improvement,but there is not enough evidence so please give more replays!
31 Jul 2015, 10:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2015, 08:14 AMtofu
gg.This replay told me a lots about you.

I feel you are better at the beginning and then getting worse.

Overall,I think you can improve midgame.You should have made your units together when you faced Soviet's T-70(or M5).This is my conclusion and below is some pointing out and sugeestion.

First,3 doc combination is good though I don't know how to use Osttruppen personally.
But I feel your bulletins should be changed.Generally speaking,people use Grenadier almost 100%.Furthermore,they often use 3 or more squads.However,Panzergrenadier is not so much used.
So,I think bulletins about Grenadier are more effective than bulletins about Panzergrenadier.
You may think this is a little thing,but I believe Jesulin and many other top 10 players pile up these little improvement.Only 1% improve will become 10% when you do it ten times.(In fact it'll become a bit more than 10%)

Second,your tech up speed from T1 to T2 is good.and your upgrade to minesweeper is also a good timing.Your production of Pak40 is so smooth.These three things are one of the most important action when you fight against Soviet.

However,you defeated Soviet's T-70.That's because you divided your unit into two groups and you have only 1 Pak40.So,T-70 could attack the group which didn't have a Pak.All you can do is shooting panzerfaust,it means you lost your ammo and you couldn't make health bunker.
If you stuck together your unit(like Counter Strike),they could cover each other and might kill T-70 easier.

In this patch,fast T-70 and M5 is meta.Jesulin once deployed his M5 at 6:11 !!!
When you faced Soviet,2x Pak40 or fast Puma(Mobile defense doc) is recommended.In fact,fastest StugG is too late for fastest M5.

I also estimate a few more improvement,but there is not enough evidence so please give more replays!
Thanks for the tips. So I should give up a little of map control if there is an early vehicle? I'll try to keep this in mind for my next game. Another replay will probably be coming soon. :)
31 Jul 2015, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2015, 10:58 AMsteel
Thanks for the tips. So I should give up a little of map control if there is an early vehicle? I'll try to keep this in mind for my next game. Another replay will probably be coming soon. :)

Yes.Your infantry can't attack or defend any position without anti-light tank unit if there is a light tank(M3/M5/T-70 or so).It's the same when you see a medium tank like T-34.

In fact,these infantry-kill tanks are the core unit of what I called "map control"strategy.
I think I'll explain the detail of this strategy later.
Roughly speaking,you are recommended to use these unit (especially) when you play as allies.
31 Jul 2015, 13:56 PM

31 Jul 2015, 17:08 PM

steam id:76561198083799989
History: played command and conquer since red alert on ps1.Played warcraft 2 and 3. .

touch style is qwertyu and 1-4.
I usually play about 15 hours per week

I want help with OKW and USF in 2v2 as i dont really 1v1.

Problems:I am allways having trouble overcoming rush strategies and kubelwagons.I have trouble with managing my manpower and inf midgame when i start to micro my light tanks.I stock pile too much muni and have trouble spending effectively.

Goal:To defeat mg weapons more consistenty early game and become better with combined arms to scale better into mid and late game.
31 Jul 2015, 18:26 PM

how do i reply with a replay.I uploaded it just fine.
31 Jul 2015, 18:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

31 Jul 2015, 18:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2015, 13:56 PMPheenyx

OK,you are just starting this game unless this replay is desynced.

As well as other RTS games,using your resource is important aspect.Saving too much resource(especially ManPower) isn't a good idea.The reason is below.

Generally speaking,the goddness of victory is with the side which has more infantry squads.
This is why 3 conscript squads defeat 1 grenadier squad easily.Every top player insists on the importance of (green) cover,and it's right indeed,but the amount of infantry on the battleground is the most important thing.You can watch Jesulin often has twice amount of squad than his enemy at the first or second engagement.He shows what brings victory.

To take advantage of quantities,you have to keep three priciple below and this will ease your beginning.
1.You should make more basic infantry than your opponent.
2.Fight when you have more squads
3.Run away when you have less squads.

You also have to learn the importance of tech-up.
Basic infantry like volksgrenadier is just basic unit.you need special team on battlefield.To make powerful unit,you must build up your base.As for OKW,Schwerer Panzer Headquarters is the top ranked base.

The reason of emphasizing tech-up is that sometimes you faced unbeatbale unit if you use only basic infantry.As you already know,it's quite difficult for volksgrenadiers to beat Soviet's shock troops.You need an armored car or an infantry support gun,and these units are come from upper base.

This means that if you make upper base faster than enemy,you will take advantage because your opponent doesn't have few units to counter.

However,making upper base/unit need more resource than basic infantry.
This is the key point of this game.You have to get more resource to use your basic infantry well at the beginning and use these resource to product more stronger units CONSIDERING whether your basic infantry can stand a few minutes with less squads or not.(don't forget first priciple above)

Although I have many other suggestion for improvement,it can be postponed.Please focus on these points first.
GL for your next match!
1 Aug 2015, 01:25 AM

I think I did quite well in this game so I might not learn much from it but I'm uploading it anyway if you wanna watch and spot my mistakes. Do you think getting a 222 scout car would have been good?

Here's a replay from me as Soviet. I won but I think I didn't do very well. When should I get T3? When to get hospital? These 2 were in my head all the time.

1 Aug 2015, 04:18 AM

steam id:76561198083799989
History: played command and conquer since red alert on ps1.Played warcraft 2 and 3. .

touch style is qwertyu and 1-4.
I usually play about 15 hours per week

I want help with OKW and USF in 2v2 as i dont really 1v1.

Problems:I am allways having trouble overcoming rush strategies and kubelwagons.I have trouble with managing my manpower and inf midgame when i start to micro my light tanks.I stock pile too much muni and have trouble spending effectively.

Goal:To defeat mg weapons more consistenty early game and become better with combined arms to scale better into mid and late game.

Welcome!I add you on steam so please receive it.

In 2v2,victory/defeat is not a important thing to improve your skill because you have a random mate who may be HelpingHans or may be just rage quitter.
So,I focus on finding better way to fight on the assumption that your mate has average skill level.

So,as far as I can see,you surely have trouble spending your resource efficiently.As for munition,it's not a bad idea to save it for Thunderbolt.But many people use it for greandes or upgraded weapons.In this replay,you can't request help from air and faced 2x MG at the beginning.So it's reasonable to get grenades.Grenade (especially smoke grenade) is always effective for MG.

And this replay tells me why you have trouble in using infantry with your tanks.You are too concentrating on just 1 unit.I think you concentrate your attention at center of your display and don't move from there.I also think you sometimes do this with conscious because you zoomed camera to make your micro precise.

This way is surely useful for one battleground.Not many people can do like you so this is one of your strength.But at the same time,it may be your weakness.You can't operate any units which are out of your sight.

To overcome this,you have to tell yourself to watch out for other battlefield while concentrating on the center of your display.It's like you have Intel inside.

Technically speaking,tactical map is the most useful to move your units which are not displayed on your monitor,but you said you can't use num0 key(though you can change keybind from num0) so mini map is a second choice.

The point is that now you have less time to move your unit.You should realize the situation of battlefield more quickly,and decide the better way to act,and jump to next front.

I think multi task is a problem of consciousness.Only people who has strong will can deal with two or more matters simultaneously.Like fighter pilot,like pro sports player,and like...you!!!

I think I can tell what makes you decide more quickly at the next time.So give me more replays!
1 Aug 2015, 07:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Aug 2015, 01:25 AMsteel
I think I did quite well in this game so I might not learn much from it but I'm uploading it anyway if you wanna watch and spot my mistakes. Do you think getting a 222 scout car would have been good?

Here's a replay from me as Soviet. I won but I think I didn't do very well. When should I get T3? When to get hospital? These 2 were in my head all the time.

To answer your question about 222,I'll explain my "map control" strategy a bit.

This tactics consists of three simple principles.

1.Attack is easier than defense.
2.Vehicles are faster than AT guns.
3.Larger amounts of units gain a victory.

The same as other RTS games,Company of Heroes 2 become easier when you attack and more difficult when you defend.This is because you can attack at any point you want to,but can't defend all points you want to.So,if you are able to search weak points,your attack will end in massive victory.

To search weakness,recon units are highly recommended.This units tend to be light vehicles like 222 "SCOUT" car.these units are needed to move faster than infantry because they are often needed to run away from enemy infantry and because they have to move around the map to get enemy's movements.

When you find enemy's weak point,just attack there with larger amount of units than the opponent which defends its position.
I said "infantry-kill tanks" are recommended before,and this is becase if you have it,you don't need to wait other units to attack.Furthermore,Multi purpose unit of recon and infantry-kill play
s ideal role.It can shift its role from search to destroy without any timelag.

If this strategy works well,your opponent must stick together their units.(if not,he will lost unit one by one.)And that means you can get map control.Except for enemy's blobbing spot,you capture all territories and thus your income will greater.

From this point of view,Company of Heroes 2 is a game of taking map control.So,fastest 222 is recommended to get map control and fastest M5 is also recommended to take (back) map control.

How about Puma? I think Puma is designed to kill map control unit such as M5 and T-70.Although Puma itself can't take map control,it prevent M5/T-70 from taking map control.
And if you have 222 with Puma,this tactics will works a bit again.
After all,Combined arms are important especially in Axis.

So,as for second replay,you know when you should get T3 now.And I was surprised to see your conscripts played well.Now you know aggresive attack will take map control,too.This is because your opponent tend to use all its units to defend from your successive strikes.
In fact,sometimes you will see you don't need M3/M5/T-70 to get map control.Marshal of Soviet Union knows oorah conscript squads meet two-thirds of principles above.

At last,the timing of getting hospital is a good question.If you wanto to get map control with your conscripts,it should be after your taking map control.(generally,you can make health after deploying 4 or 5 conscript squads.)
And if you build T2 it's more likely to be late.One maxim (and sometimes one motar) should be faster than health at least.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★