Login

russian armor

M24 Chaffee

30 Jul 2015, 05:58 AM

but which light tank would you prefer if you had a choice the M5 Stuart or the M24 Chaffee?

assuming their strength reflect history, the m24 of course.

basically push the USF's tech tree into 1945.
30 Jul 2015, 06:05 AM

assuming their strength reflect history, the m24 of course.

basically push the USF's tech tree into 1945.

that might work all we gotta do next is put pressure on relic into doing so
30 Jul 2015, 06:39 AM

I see the chaffee as an early game medium/light tank with a more powerful gun than the stuart, about as much speed as the m20 and with paper thin armor. It would have to be an early game kind of thing like being able to get it out with a lieutenant or a captain.
It could force an early panzerschrek/AT weapon purchase but it's thin armor would also make it severely vulnerable and therfore be both a gift and a liability.
You would not make very many of them and at the same time their agility could cause alot of trolling...it's price would be off-set of course.
it'd be like the IR halftrack in the sense that it will only be utilized under certain circumstances.

Have the M18 Hellcat act as a more mobile alternative to the Jackson... Consider that the Jackson is supposed to do a massive load of damage to vehicles yet it does NOT!!! The M36 is supposed to be a tank destroyer after-all!
The M18 is fast and it's gun is good. Again the main problem is it's armor but since the USF is so micro intentsive it will fit in quite nicely.

76mm Shermans could be a simple upgrade to improve it's effectiveness against tanks but it also has a
decent anti-infantry ability by default. HINT:HE and AP rounds...
30 Jul 2015, 21:14 PM

I see the chaffee as an early game medium/light tank with a more powerful gun than the stuart, about as much speed as the m20 and with paper thin armor. It would have to be an early game kind of thing like being able to get it out with a lieutenant or a captain.
It could force an early panzerschrek/AT weapon purchase but it's thin armor would also make it severely vulnerable and therfore be both a gift and a liability.
You would not make very many of them and at the same time their agility could cause alot of trolling...it's price would be off-set of course.
it'd be like the IR halftrack in the sense that it will only be utilized under certain circumstances.

Have the M18 Hellcat act as a more mobile alternative to the Jackson... Consider that the Jackson is supposed to do a massive load of damage to vehicles yet it does NOT!!! The M36 is supposed to be a tank destroyer after-all!
The M18 is fast and it's gun is good. Again the main problem is it's armor but since the USF is so micro intentsive it will fit in quite nicely.

76mm Shermans could be a simple upgrade to improve it's effectiveness against tanks but it also has a
decent anti-infantry ability by default. HINT:HE and AP rounds...

jackson still needs a slight buff in the penetration department damage is good tho but having it paried with the chaffee would make them better as the chaffee can see farther than the jackson can (maybe an "aura" of extended firing range for the jacksons when they work alongside light tanks?)
30 Jul 2015, 21:43 PM

Would be a nice unit for the mechanized company as it fits well in my opinion or for Recon Support Company instead of the Paratrooper Support Squad
30 Jul 2015, 21:46 PM

Chafee would be a great unit.
2 Aug 2015, 00:13 AM

Chafee would be a great unit.

then lets get relic into putting this unique light tank into the game! they do read the forums after all! they just need a little push...well post-September 3 release that is...
nee
2 Aug 2015, 16:23 PM

well one thing is for certain is USF is in dire need of new hardware and toys to play with since axis is currently hogging and hoarding all of the best AT, armor and infantry in-game

To be honest that is a very poor argument for advocating a new unit, especially if it carries all the issues everyone just pointed out.

USF is lacking unit variety yes, but the problem is the core units' overreach in roles. What the Chaffee can do, means it replace not only Stuart and Sherman, but if it's penetration is good then also the M10. In the package of a Light Tank, no less. How can you justify high CP/ popcap and MP/F costs for a light tank that can perform so well?
The only other recourse is to make the Chaffee quite terrible in many other things...but then no one would even bother with Chaffee if it fails to do it' jobs well. Jobs that stock units already cover.

Bottom line is, whatever ideas that make the Chaffee a good idea, is inherently a bad idea because it automatically competes with Stuart/ Sherman. Which is not surprising: that was the point of developing the M24 in the first place.

If it's a doctrinal unlock it would have to be in like Captain tier, which means it still competes with Stuart...and also tempts the player to just spam Stuarts rather than get Major and Shermans. Given it's characteristics, you either get a very spammable light tank, or a hilariously unrealistic portrayal of a light tank that can do certain jobs very poorly despite realism.

Would be a nice unit for the mechanized company as it fits well in my opinion or for Recon Support Company instead of the Paratrooper Support Squad

If you've never heard of the Greyhound, that is.
2 Aug 2015, 20:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Aug 2015, 16:23 PMnee

If you've never heard of the Greyhound, that is.

yeah...comparing a M24 Chaffee with a Greyhound :loco:
nee
3 Aug 2015, 06:26 AM

No, what's :loco: is thinking Recon Support should have I&R, Greyhound and Chaffee all in one.

Nice try attempting to make it look like I'm comparing the two, though.
3 Aug 2015, 10:26 AM

Well, maybe you just should learn to read as i wrote mechanized company OR (!!!) recon support company and drop the paratrooper since they would fit in both categories (recon and mechanized). And mechanized do not have much to offer except the artillery and the Dodge.

nee
3 Aug 2015, 14:42 PM

I did read.
Mechanized: Jeep, Halftrack with Assault Engineers, and Chaffee. Still three units.

But I guess you've also never heard of that Mechanized call-in that deploys two doctrinal units at once, the vehicle being unique to the commander.
4 Aug 2015, 01:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2015, 14:42 PMnee
I did read.
Mechanized: Jeep, Halftrack with Assault Engineers, and Chaffee. Still three units.

But I guess you've also never heard of that Mechanized call-in that deploys two doctrinal units at once, the vehicle being unique to the commander.

please name the WW2 games excluding World of Tanks that the M24 Chaffee has made appearances because from what i pieced together that thing has made very FEW appearances. most common tanks in US arsenal we is shermans, wolverines, hellcats, jacksons, M8 Greyhounds, M3 halftracks, stuarts the list goes on... 0_0 so it would be nice if it made an appearance in the CoH series
4 Aug 2015, 03:22 AM

The Chaffee is very late war and isn't "sexy" like the Pershing. So it's not as popular to include in various games.
4 Aug 2015, 03:33 AM

The Chaffee is very late war and isn't "sexy" like the Pershing. So it's not as popular to include in various games.

but it's sleek, fast and maneuverable and it was built on the lessons learned from the M3/M5 Stuart tanks =(
nee
4 Aug 2015, 05:16 AM

please name the WW2 games excluding World of Tanks that the M24 Chaffee has made appearances because from what i pieced together that thing has made very FEW appearances. most common tanks in US arsenal we is shermans, wolverines, hellcats, jacksons, M8 Greyhounds, M3 halftracks, stuarts the list goes on... 0_0 so it would be nice if it made an appearance in the CoH series

Why do you want me to list every WW2 game BUT World of Tanks featuring this unit? Go look it up yourself.

If you're suggesting that I'm trying to make some justification of not having Chaffee in the game, consider this: I never said I don't want Chaffee in this game, nor have I ever said featuring this unit would be historically unjustified.

but it's sleek, fast and maneuverable and it was built on the lessons learned from the M3/M5 Stuart tanks =(

And that's the problem: it would replace the Stuart and Sherman. Is that bad? Not really. But I do think Relic's been in this "omigawd ppl need to play more stock units let's gimp call-ins" phase lately.

Actually accommodating the Chaffee into the game is honestly actually quite easy: as I suggested, you make M24 stock unit, and the Stuart is a lighter cheaper call-in with it's own unique abilities. The same can be said of Greyhound and M20, they are variants of the same vehicle and design concept. This scheme has already been done on the M10/M36, and to a smaller extent WC51 and M20.
The Chaffee's uniqueness should not be based solely on "better than two stock units".
4 Aug 2015, 06:17 AM

Giving USF a best in class light tank call in would break the game. You would pick that commander everygame, go T1, and push the enemy off of the map.
6 Aug 2015, 20:53 PM

Giving USF a best in class light tank call in would break the game. You would pick that commander everygame, go T1, and push the enemy off of the map.

im sure relic can find a way to make it work if not then idk
8 Aug 2015, 02:29 AM

Have you missed the announcement of the Valentine? A Light Tank marginally more expensive than an M5 Stuart, but with a 75mm gun and IR Half-Track spotting?
8 Aug 2015, 02:36 AM
Patrion 15

Pretty cool tank, could fill the role that the Valentine does in the UKF, a light call in tank with decent pen and good speed. Although this role is already filled by the M10, it could maybe be a little less effective v armor and a little more effective v infantry?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 43
unknown 23
Mexico 18
Germany 857

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %