Login

russian armor

M26 Pershing/Calliope Debate

PAGES (12)down
4 Aug 2015, 03:08 AM

That's not unusual for T0, the main difference is that their T1 / T2 come later rather than immediately.

thats a big bummer especially if axis have MGs (which can now insta-suppress) they can call out at T0 and meanwhile USF have MG's locked in T2 which is quite problematic...
4 Aug 2015, 03:09 AM

thats a big bummer especially if axis have MGs (which can now insta-suppress) they can call out at T0 and meanwhile USF have MG's locked in T2 which is quite problematic...
4 Aug 2015, 03:15 AM
Patrion 28

if that is the case then why did relic bother creating heavy tank skins for USF in the first place? as a previous poster said it'd be a waste of time and money for them to do it if they are not going to do it at all.

little bit late here but relic hasn't necessarily created any textures. the camouflage is done off a base pattern and then laid out in the UVW unwrap. if there aren't any heavy models there isn't any unwraps for them and therefore there isn't any textures. the slot itself doesn't mean anything as there doesn't have to be models for there to be a slot and the only reason the slot is there for USF at this point is because it's there for every other faction, which has heavies right now and it would require work to remove the slot. also, it builds hype.
4 Aug 2015, 03:19 AM

little bit late here but relic hasn't necessarily created any textures. the camouflage is done off a base pattern and then laid out in the UVW unwrap. if there aren't any heavy models there isn't any unwraps for them and therefore there isn't any textures. the slot itself doesn't mean anything as there doesn't have to be models for there to be a slot and the only reason the slot is there for USF at this point is because it's there for every other faction, which has heavies right now and it would require work to remove the slot. also, it builds hype.

still someone must have done the work to make it right? i mean you and i both know that it costs time and money...
Jeo
4 Aug 2015, 03:22 AM
Patrion 39

pff, you think I need a heavy tank as USF? what would that solve? nothing, all i need is riflemen with rifle gremades.
4 Aug 2015, 03:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2015, 03:22 AMJeo
pff, you think I need a heavy tank as USF? what would that solve? nothing, all i need is riflemen with rifle gremades.

assuming you have the munitions to afford it which is non-existent within the first 5 minutes of a game
4 Aug 2015, 04:12 AM
Patrion 28

still someone must have done the work to make it right? i mean you and i both know that it costs time and money...

that's what i mean, just because USF has the slot doesn't mean it cost them anything and thus doesn't mean that USF will get heavy tanks. it's cheaper for them to leave the slot then it is to remove it, especially since it leaves it open in case they DO add heavies.

the default settings for each faction have a heavy tank texture slot so removing it would require more work then just leaving it, in addition to the other minor advantages to leaving it.

given that we have seen a model of the pershing (i don't know if anyone has tested it out with the USF heavy camos) there is a good possibility that the pershing will be added, even more so if the heavy camos work with it.
4 Aug 2015, 04:18 AM

that's what i mean, just because USF has the slot doesn't mean it cost them anything and thus doesn't mean that USF will get heavy tanks. it's cheaper for them to leave the slot then it is to remove it, especially since it leaves it open in case they DO add heavies.

the default settings for each faction have a heavy tank texture slot so removing it would require more work then just leaving it, in addition to the other minor advantages to leaving it.

given that we have seen a model of the pershing (i don't know if anyone has tested it out with the USF heavy camos) there is a good possibility that the pershing will be added, even more so if the heavy camos work with it.

true dat there may be some hope after all...not much but its better than nothing
4 Aug 2015, 06:18 AM

true but its was classified as a heavy tank up until korea but nevertheless it will probably be like as you said; an allied panther

No. It was renamed to medium in 46', not till Korea.
So in the end you have tanks designed as a medium, based on medium prototype, which was renamed to heavy to increase morale, and then in 46' renamed again to medium.
4 Aug 2015, 06:34 AM

No. It was renamed to medium in 46', not till Korea.
So in the end you have tanks designed as a medium, based on medium prototype, which was renamed to heavy to increase morale, and then in 46' renamed again to medium.

oh...i did not know that 0_0 well it appears I was "half" right
4 Aug 2015, 09:29 AM

oh...i did not know that 0_0 well it appears I was "half" right

It's also worth noting that US Doctrine didn't account for "Heavy Tanks" at the time so the designation officially didn't exist. M26 is closer to the Tiger in terms of Firepower, Armor and Mobility. Howver Just like the Panther its largely a case of interpretation and semantics.
4 Aug 2015, 09:39 AM

Does anyone still has the leaked pics? Or is it NDA'd?
4 Aug 2015, 19:34 PM

It's also worth noting that US Doctrine didn't account for "Heavy Tanks" at the time so the designation officially didn't exist. M26 is closer to the Tiger in terms of Firepower, Armor and Mobility. Howver Just like the Panther its largely a case of interpretation and semantics.

Also worth noting the Tiger in CoH2 has exaggerated durability compared to real-life, it only had about 40mm more armour than a Panzer IV Model H. Realistically a T-34/85 or Easy Eight would be able to consistently penetrate it frontally at closer ranges. Not that the Tiger wasn't good, it aged fairly well for a Heavy Tank from 1942, just not as well as CoH2's portrayal.

Does anyone still has the leaked pics? Or is it NDA'd?

Because the pictures were taken in the Alpha and feature units that do not exist in the retail game files., they fall under NDA.
4 Aug 2015, 21:05 PM

Because the pictures were taken in the Alpha and feature units that do not exist in the retail game files., they fall under NDA.

Thanks!
4 Aug 2015, 23:35 PM

USF will be a forgotten army after the UKF, not sure if new commanders will come out though. I think Relic might allow Pershings for Mods.
5 Aug 2015, 00:10 AM

USF will be a forgotten army after the UKF, not sure if new commanders will come out though. I think Relic might allow Pershings for Mods.

makes me wonder why relic bother to put them into the game in the first place if they will be forgotten so easily
7 Aug 2015, 03:04 AM

i find the idea of a Pershing for mods a bit far-fetched
7 Aug 2015, 08:07 AM

Also worth noting the Tiger in CoH2 has exaggerated durability compared to real-life, it only had about 40mm more armour than a Panzer IV Model H. Realistically a T-34/85 or Easy Eight would be able to consistently penetrate it frontally at closer ranges. Not that the Tiger wasn't good, it aged fairly well for a Heavy Tank from 1942, just not as well as CoH2's portrayal.
It still had a significant engagement range advantage. Yet it gets outranged by SU-85s in this game. So that evens out. Also if we go down that lane, the T-34 shouldn´t be able to hit reliably and have poor vision range etc. The T-34 lacked in any regard but numbers and mobility.

Also: Why does the 1941 KV deflect Panther shells? This Russian tank is totally exaggerated.

The Tiger has a shit survivability in this game, since they took any survivability buff from its vet.

So: NO, German tanks don´t perform to their actual value.
7 Aug 2015, 23:14 PM

It still had a significant engagement range advantage. Yet it gets outranged by SU-85s in this game. So that evens out. Also if we go down that lane, the T-34 shouldn´t be able to hit reliably and have poor vision range etc. The T-34 lacked in any regard but numbers and mobility.

SU-85 has range because it's a turretless Tank Destroyer and in CoH those have extra range to make up for not having turrets. I also underlined the sentence that is already a feature of the T-34/76 :thumb:

Also: Why does the 1941 KV deflect Panther shells? This Russian tank is totally exaggerated.

Because the KV-1 has inflated armour stats just like the Tiger I does.

The Tiger has a shit survivability in this game, since they took any survivability buff from its vet.

300 Armour and 1040 Health is not "shit survivability".
nee
8 Aug 2015, 03:15 AM

makes me wonder why relic bother to put them into the game in the first place if they will be forgotten so easily
I haven't read of any post by Relic stating they never and Pershing in the game, only that they don't have any plans on the subject. At best this can mean they originally wanted to but ultimately decided to cut it from the final game.

That's not to say it will stay this way forever, seeing as there is no heavy vehicle at all, and the game store states that USF heavies "may" become a reality in the future. But then again we're talking about Relic, they might do something more fantastic like Pershing with turbolasers that's only for Afrika Korps.
PAGES (12)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS