Login

russian armor

Hide the comanders in the bulletins loading screen?

Shall we hide the comanders/bulletins in the loading screen?
Option Distribution Votes
42%
58%
Total votes: 50
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
28 Jul 2015, 22:17 PM

I remember that bug in the past. I really enjoyed the games that days. I will like to know what the forum thinks about it.

I think it will make more dificult to know what your enemy can deploy and then games more hard/interesting

28 Jul 2015, 22:46 PM

I remember that bug in the past. I really enjoyed the games that days. I will like to know what the forum thinks about it.

I think it will make more dificult to know what your enemy can deploy and then games more hard/interesting

Not gonna work. There are too many commanders that hard counter other commanders to do that.

If you can't see your enemy's commanders then you take a huge risk whenever you choose one before you know his, which nerfs all early game commanders. You might pick one planning to go for heavy artillery only to find your enemy can counter it with two clicks.

The reason you can bring three commanders into each battle is so that there is still an element of uncertainty in what your opponent will choose. At the same time, you can see their loadout so that you aren't completely blindsided when assault grens bred from the stock of Usain Bolt are suddenly behind your MGs, or when a mortar halftrack destroys your FHQ with a single incendiary round.

Your proposal would make any commander with a counter unpickable, and in fact would make picking some commanders first at all suicide. Only the "safe" commanders would be wise choices.

Knowing what your enemy might choose from is an essential part of CoH. In vCoH everyone knew all the doctrines and so you could react accordingly when your opponent chose his and started showing the signs, but there was still uncertainty since there were multiple trees to advance down. CoH2 emulates this with the three-commander loadout, allowing you to plan around your opponent's potential choices while still leaving some uncertainty for flavor.
29 Jul 2015, 09:11 AM

Goldeneale is correct. This is the same principle as playing any form of poker or blackjack where some of your cards are face up. It allows the other side to make some kind of informed judgement without giving them absolutely reliable information. It works well and is a popular format, so I think Relic made a good decision to do it this way.

ETA: also, in CoH1, it was a common rule of thumb that a doctrine should ideally not be picked until you saw your opponent make a choice. But this meant that the early game was often conducted only with stock units etc. The new design in CoH2 means we see early commander selection much more often, and so the low-CP abilities are more relevant and get more use. But you can still hold off till later if you wish, and so overall there is a broader variety of options and styles.
29 Jul 2015, 09:14 AM

I loved the bug.
I found it a fun factor to not know the enemies commanders. Now you can see whether they have arty, tigers, ISU, and make decisions even before the game has started.

But that's just me :)
29 Jul 2015, 09:22 AM

Not sure about commanders, but bulletins should be hidden as they give opponent information about your strategy (teching decisions, army composition).
29 Jul 2015, 09:53 AM

Permanently Banned
Ye it was fun bug, but need he now in game or not hard to say.
29 Jul 2015, 09:59 AM

Dammit. Voted into the minority.

Apparently, people just like to be wrong.
29 Jul 2015, 10:06 AM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2015, 09:59 AMJ1N6666
Dammit. Voted into the minority.

Apparently, people just like to be wrong.
maybe its time to get rid of the opposition, so people learn to vote "correctly" :D
29 Jul 2015, 10:17 AM
Patrion 15

I'd hide bulletins. Commanders being displayed can be nice as you can guess but not be certain, but some bulletins straight up tell your opponent what you're doing. Howitzer bulletins are useless because the moment your opponent sees one they know to get a 2 click counter. Others give away whether you like going tier 1 or 2, or if you're going to push for armour.
29 Jul 2015, 10:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2015, 10:17 AMUS3K
I'd hide bulletins. Commanders being displayed can be nice as you can guess but not be certain, but some bulletins straight up tell your opponent what you're doing. Howitzer bulletins are useless because the moment your opponent sees one they know to get a 2 click counter. Others give away whether you like going tier 1 or 2, or if you're going to push for armour.

Same as ostruppen bulletins, irregular bulletins, partisans bulletins etc etc etc
29 Jul 2015, 10:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2015, 10:17 AMUS3K

But what if the only reason you have those howitzer or maxim bulletins is to trick your opponent into preparing for a threat you never intend to produce?
29 Jul 2015, 10:58 AM

Exactly. It could be a bluff. Bulletins are not game changing enough that you absolutely have to take advantage of them or perish. And so again it's another tradeoff - an advantage for you against giving your opponent more information.
29 Jul 2015, 11:03 AM
Donator 33

Imagine if you get 3 bulletins with 10% faster cooldown on unit call in abilities, your opponent might just aswell quit since he knows he is going to drown in call in units :snfBarton:
29 Jul 2015, 13:18 PM

Definetly yes. At least the bulletins if not everything (including commanders). Relic should implement this. I don't want to show my cards from verry beginning. There are so many bulletins that can give you away.
29 Jul 2015, 14:14 PM

Commanders: No. Some doctrines have units/abilities with a lot of shock value and/or can only be reasonably countered with other doctrinal units.

Bulletins: Yes, they need to be invisible. They don't have a lot of benefits and give away your strategy so it is better to just use the bread-and-butter bulletins like +3% accuracy for basic units. The fact that the opponent can see them before the game starts means that some of the more interesting ones are pointless because they just remove the element of surprise or the units themselves.
29 Jul 2015, 14:24 PM

I think it should all be hidden. Faction, commanders, bulletins, even dialogue. No more "hey, gl hf" or "gg, wp".
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 28
Germany 585

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment