Login

russian armor

Need advice in how to play ostheer in this patch

27 Jul 2015, 14:29 PM
Donator 22

Im struggeling as ostheer right now against USF rifle spam combined with lt rush into a m20, it sounds easy but it's hell on earth if you do one mistake against this.

Im always on my backbone against usf untill i get my tiger ace and I am tbh really tired of having to win games with ace.

Another problem is su 76 soviet, kholodny ferma especially.

So what do the common ostplayers do in this patch? extended tier 1 and 2 with multiple paks and skipping tier 3? or a tiger call in rather?

I need some tips, in the opening moves..

I tend to go 1 mg > 2 grens > 1 mg > Mortar or gren > adapt

Im mainly a allied player, but I have played allies so much i know them by hearth - so im kind of starting up as ostheer.
27 Jul 2015, 15:07 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 14:29 PMHauken
Im struggeling as ostheer right now against USF rifle spam combined with lt rush into a m20, it sounds easy but it's hell on earth if you do one mistake against this.

Im always on my backbone against usf untill i get my tiger ace and I am tbh really tired of having to win games with ace.

Another problem is su 76 soviet, kholodny ferma especially.

So what do the common ostplayers do in this patch? extended tier 1 and 2 with multiple paks and skipping tier 3? or a tiger call in rather?

I need some tips, in the opening moves..

I tend to go 1 mg > 2 grens > 1 mg > Mortar or gren > adapt

Im mainly a allied player, but I have played allies so much i know them by hearth - so im kind of starting up as ostheer.

A 2 mg start is better as one can cover the other. 1 gren is then probably sufficient as unless they use the dodge car you don't need Fausts'and the grens need mg support so cannot fight alone (I.e build more mgs) The sniper eats us alive as they lack a counter until m20. Once you've got a bit of map try and tech quickly and build a scout car and/or pgrens with shrek and then some more grens with lmg. The scout car + 1 supporting unit can take the m20 (watch for the crew getting out and using their bazooka).

Ensure your infantry is strong enough to hold them and push map control and tech to tier 3 unless you don't see m20 in which case you need pak for AA halftrack Be careful of building more mgs mid game as the pack howitzer will take a toll on stationary units. I wouldn't recommend a mortar as a good U.S. Player will keep moving and can easily steal it from you another mg would be better

Ostheer got a major boost vs us with its buffed mg, extra starting manpower and instant scout car upgrade to auto cannon so provided you cover your mgs with each other early game they. Shouldn't be too hard to destroy
27 Jul 2015, 16:18 PM
Donator 22

I tend to disperse from mg covering mg, Typically on road to kharkov for instance in the north spawn i put a mg covering middle vp and westeren flank, the other i put to cover the muni point in the north east.

Is this bad?

Im just terrified to get swarmed from all sides, I cant really say that this works that great either mainly because the riflemen always seems to find a way around, even on a campy map.

I feel like I play ostheer like i play soviets, swarm for map control, I recently started going hard on one side only 1 fuel 1 muni.

I see you talking about sniper, It's never the first unit i pick up but I tend to pick it up mid game where it gain vet 2 before it usually dies.

http://prod.coh2.org/replay/37371/thorougly-even-game

Heres a replay of my latest 1v1

27 Jul 2015, 16:36 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 16:18 PMHauken
I tend to disperse from mg covering mg, Typically on road to kharkov for instance in the north spawn i put a mg covering middle vp and westeren flank, the other i put to cover the muni point in the north east.

Is this bad?

Road to Kharkov North is one of the hardest to play as ostheer because of the variety of hidden flanking routes and cover. I suspect you need to use the first 2 mgs together until youve pushed off their initial attack and got some supporting units otherwise your premise is correct for this map. Dont forget to use wire is possible to reduce routes and p[ossibly build a bunker.

Another approach to this map would be to choose mechanised with assault grenadiers. build your 2 mgs but support each one with an assault gren - they will punish attempts to flank. Don't spam them as they will cause manpower bleed and don't scale beyond early game.

Ostheer needs to build a solid position and then push outwards. The trick is not getting compressed too much and pushing early enough before the enemy gets too much resource advantage. One fuel one muni is the correct approach
27 Jul 2015, 18:00 PM
Donator 22

Alright, I'll slap in mechanized.

I tend to use them as offensive units, i never tried mg babysitting.

Very informative :sibWaddle:
27 Jul 2015, 18:09 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 18:00 PMHauken
Alright, I'll slap in mechanized.

I tend to use them as offensive units, i never tried mg babysitting.

Very informative :sibWaddle:

Assault grens tend not to work offensively against good players unless you can ambush them to get close range. Competent players pull back and sit in cover cutting them down and riflemen also have high dps. The U.S. Player has to close with you mg to flank making them come to you.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt as I am no expert at 1v1 but do play a lot of Ostheer 2v2 and end up 1 on 1 vs us.

Just to clarify my mortar comment. I don't recommend them because they can't plug holes in your line early game and aren't effective against moving infantry. However against us players who are sitting back in cover stopping you advancing and whol build emplacements one can be useful once your line is firm. The pak or flanking pgren with shrek is a better emplacement clearer though if they emplacement spam

You also mentioned su76 being a problem. When I've fought as soviet players have countered me with shrieked pgrens. Paks alone don't work as they get barraged. If you can hold them off a stug +pak can put the nails in their coffin. A stug alone is too rng and they often come in pairs
28 Jul 2015, 10:07 AM
Donator 22

Well the stug is a good tank, but I tend to still be at tier 2 when I see them as I want more infantry and map presence usually.

Maybe tier 3 rush could be effective nowadays, it's just bad if you loose a tank early and have less infantry.

But I am figuring out though, Im on a win streak as ostheer atm so I think im doing it right, just need to get comfortable with my decisions.
28 Jul 2015, 10:54 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2015, 10:07 AMHauken
Well the stug is a good tank, but I tend to still be at tier 2 when I see them as I want more infantry and map presence usually.

Maybe tier 3 rush could be effective nowadays, it's just bad if you loose a tank early and have less infantry.

But I am figuring out though, Im on a win streak as ostheer atm so I think im doing it right, just need to get comfortable with my decisions.

Tier 3 rush is not feasible. You must have a pak and if possible shreks just to hold your ground and frighten off m20 aa truck t70 or m5 but a good player won't let you kill them. When you get to tier 3 the stug can be used in combination to take them out.

One other approach that worked (in one game) for me today was 2 x 222. They got the jump on an m5 before it's gun upgrade completed. A t70 then came and although 1 222 died the other plus a Faust killed it. After this the game was mine. There is a narrow window for this the game before I nearly managed this with 1 222 but the aa upgrade popped just before i killed the m5 and it won
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 22
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment