Login

russian armor

WD My Book replacement part

Seb
23 Jul 2015, 15:21 PM
Admin Black Badge

Hey guys,

I'm looking for replacement card: "4061-705089-001 rev 07p" (or "4060-705089-001 rev p1" on the back)

This is what I need :

I don't really want to pay $100 for that, I don't really have that important data on the disk. It's mostly because I'm curious and I want to see if it would work, and well if I can get back the data it's still nice bonus obviously.

Or maybe I'd actually pay $100 but if I was sure I'd get the part and it would be ok. But this is pretty stupid considering it's almost the price of the disk, and then just need to get lucky on the controller card inside...

This is for WD My Book essentials (1130 in device manager) (written WDBACW0020HBK behind the book), the drive is fine but the controller is broken and I need it because it had the excellent idea to crypt data without telling me so I can't plug the disk anywhere else... Normally when that happens and I plug the disk on my SATA dock... And btw it often happens, external drive enclosure (any model) are insanely low quality I've noticed.

I have a lot of other WD at home but it's different models or different years and the controller card is not the same version on any of them.

Note : if you have a recent WD drive be careful, it could crypt your data and fuck you up if the controller stops working. Try to disable the encryption so you can at least move the disk out, and always make external backup anyway.

I hope this ran was useful, and if anyone has such card, or know where I could find it for a decent price and reliable source, please let me know.

Also another solution would be to find the problem on my current card and fix it, if anyone knows more about that I'm up for it as well.

Thanks
24 Jul 2015, 03:24 AM
Donator 11

Additional options that may solve it, even though it's unlikely:
Check the PCB for damage. Might be just some loose port, which can be soldered again.
Test it on a different PC, your problem can also be caused by driver issues.

Exchanging the exact same PCB will work.
You could roll the dice and buy the exact model from the same era (and resell it after).
Alternatively for only the PCB: hddzone.com
Btw.: the PCB in question has been sold before on several european auction sites, for way less. With a bit of patience you might be lucky.

Apropo lucky... FYL :/
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS