Login

russian armor

Focus one side of the map altogether or spread out?

18 Jul 2015, 11:55 AM

I'm on a pretty good 4v4 AT I forget our win lose ratio, it's like 38 and 4, but we got our 4th loss tonight and I have a theory as to why it happened but I want confirmation from the COH2 community if we went about it all wrong. No I don't have a replay, but I can pretty much accurately describe what I think cost us the round.

So on your 4v4 and 3v3 maps, I think taking an approach to the map like it's say 3 1v1's or 2 2v2's is the wrong approach when you got 3 teammates. I do think that spreading out and defeating your opponent is a way to get a fast win in, but if you're trying to maintain a win streak, the better safe than sorry route is better, which is for the team to work together and support each other and focus one side of the map more than the other.

We were playing General Mud, the two OKW players went for left fuel, me and the other Wehrmacht player went for right fuel. Neither of our split up team got either fuel, and we eventually lost the round. I think that if this had happened on other maps, against a strong team we were facing, it would have played out similarly, whether it was Steppes, Hill 331, or say a 3v3 map like Pavlov's House, maybe even Oka River (usually I have one guy go country on Oka river as a matter of insurance incase the other two don't get the fuel/muni in the town).

Do you think when you're trying to maintain a win streak on a good 4v4 team, we should be heavily focusing just one half, or a connected 2/3's of the map, or do you think, as I think that spreading out our forces and taking as much territory as we can on our own is the best approach to a 4v4 team? For example on Steppes, 2 go Island, 1 go middle, and 1 go top for munitions, IMO would be spreading out our forces too much to take anything for sure.

I play a lot of random games, and sometimes my random teammates will get mad because I'll help the other side more than the side closer to my spawn simply because I want to guarantee we hold at least half the map rather than hold no advantage over splitting up into two separate 2v2's.

I'm not really the leader of our group as I have a more Beta male personality overall, which is why I didn't propose this idea prior to the round starting and letting everyone do their own thing that they wanted, my team chose to spread out and I went along with it.
19 Jul 2015, 23:11 PM

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

>I am more of a beta personality

Whatever you say about yourself becomes true in your reality
19 Jul 2015, 23:38 PM

Well the answer is: It depends.

Spreading out over a wide front you will have an easier time to find weakness in the enemies lines and with coordination you can make sure to exploit those weaknesses (often there will be several) meaning you can dominate the map.

Focusing costs you awerness of the enemies whereabouts and might lead to you to having gaps in your lines or simply giving up on certain areas.
However it does grant you a good shock-value and it will be easier to overrun one or two of the enemy players and thus weakening them for the game.
But focusing is putting all your eggs in one basket. If you succeed victory will be closer but not ensured, however if your initial push fails for some reason you have nothing. Great risk with potential for great rewards.

Spreading out however you are potentially putting the initiative in the hands of the enemy and you open yourself open to being knocked back by a focused opponent in some area and this is potential game-costing.

You really have to alternate both things for the best effect. Against randoms the focus usually have good results but against arranged teams the second one will be a safer bet.
Alternating between the two during the match is what you want, read the opponent, avoid fighting where the enemy wants to fight, take the initiative and fight on your conditions.

1.) Know what the enemy is up to.
2.) Strike heavy and hard against their weakness.
3.) Reinforce where you are winning.
4.) Where you are loosing/cant push, only harass the enemy as to lock down his units.
27 Jul 2015, 16:25 PM

Well the answer is: It depends.

Spreading out over a wide front you will have an easier time to find weakness in the enemies lines and with coordination you can make sure to exploit those weaknesses (often there will be several) meaning you can dominate the map.

Focusing costs you awerness of the enemies whereabouts and might lead to you to having gaps in your lines or simply giving up on certain areas.
However it does grant you a good shock-value and it will be easier to overrun one or two of the enemy players and thus weakening them for the game.
But focusing is putting all your eggs in one basket. If you succeed victory will be closer but not ensured, however if your initial push fails for some reason you have nothing. Great risk with potential for great rewards.

Spreading out however you are potentially putting the initiative in the hands of the enemy and you open yourself open to being knocked back by a focused opponent in some area and this is potential game-costing.

You really have to alternate both things for the best effect. Against randoms the focus usually have good results but against arranged teams the second one will be a safer bet.
Alternating between the two during the match is what you want, read the opponent, avoid fighting where the enemy wants to fight, take the initiative and fight on your conditions.

1.) Know what the enemy is up to.
2.) Strike heavy and hard against their weakness.
3.) Reinforce where you are winning.
4.) Where you are loosing/cant push, only harass the enemy as to lock down his units.

I like this, thank you :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS