Login

russian armor

Russian Maxim Spam

6 Jul 2015, 05:54 AM

I seriously would like to have some idea what you're supposed to do against this as OKW. Playing on crossing in the woods, the russian player built a support company and first three units he made are all Maxims. My volksgrendairs couldn't do anything. From there he went straight to mortars and conscripts. I was boxed in, with maxims all around my base, I couldn't get units out without run into a maxim. And mortars set up behind the maxim just attacking ground at my retreat point. There is just no way to counter maxims in a building early game as OKW, 6 guys in that squad you'll be lucky if a grenade kills 2 of them. I could really use some advice it.I went three volks, then into a medic halftrack to build infantry support guns to hit the MGs, but that did nothing and his mortars killed the support guns. By the time I got out my first Flak Halftrack he hat Zis field guns out which are good at both killing infantry and vehicles, I wish I had some versatility like that..
6 Jul 2015, 06:11 AM

I'm not so good player, but if I play vs maxim spam I usually go T2( mech truck) for Flak AA. And maybe Stuka zi fuss later.
If i already deploy a med truck, then i stall for fast luchs.

Crossing the woods is such kind of map, where HMG rules the whole game. Sometimes i got lucky to flank them with sturmpio)
6 Jul 2015, 06:24 AM

Go to t2 and call halftrack, support your halftrack with volks and watch out for ZIS.
6 Jul 2015, 07:12 AM

well if you spot maxims only a kunbel might not be a bad idea since it acts as a scouting unit and can suppress/pin pretty fast, as soon as a maxim is suppressed send volks to flank.

Kunbel has enough life to sustain a couple of bursts just back away and repair, and from here flack halftrack is probably the best option.

If the map has enough houses you can choose a doctrine with infantry that comes out of houses so either scavange or luft, and tech medic truck into flack truck to get a p2.

Don't forget to either capture or salvage any support weapons you decrew.
6 Jul 2015, 08:19 AM

on a map with a lot of buildings choosing a commander with grenade assult is good idea, because those grenades often kill the whole squad inside building or destroy the building completely.
6 Jul 2015, 08:24 AM

Permanently Banned
Most of the time, they have a strong point and some lonely mg covering some not so important flank elsewhere.

If he places one mg very lonely to guard one path or 'cutoff', just swarm it with all of your squads. Let them shoot at the gunner, by clicking on the gunner model with right mouse :)

The model will mostly die within a few seconds if you use your entire force to kill it. Thus you can break through one of his weaker spots and exploit his most likely weak rear guard units. Then it is a simple move of waiting for him to react, which opens up more flanks and oppertunities for you to flank him.

As OKW on these 'balanced' maps, this is mostly your only option is he spams maxims and you have been pushed back to the point where ZIS guns are very vacant.
6 Jul 2015, 09:38 AM

I dont recoment flak ht , only if you have gr8 micro because of zis. if zis shot it while you advancing forvard its dead ht becuase of deceleration time and its health (2 shots and flak is death)

I think it is better to attack with multiple suqads at maxim becuase it is in bad shape and supress only 1 squad at time.

Also infiltration greandes are great even on maxims that aree not in buildings because they often wipe full suqad and you get 5 fuel (+15 muni if you have scavenge doctrine) or maxim

i dont recomnd stuka in 1 vs 1 because it really hurt you teching and time when your 1 st tank come , so clever russian player will rush fast t 34 /76 and win the game (or just kil stuka , so it is good to protect if with 2 pupetchen)

hope this helps :)
6 Jul 2015, 11:45 AM
Admin Red  Badge

I recommend to use Scavenge Doctrine vs maxim spam. It allows you to use infiltration tactics (= your infantry throws a bunch of grenades) which cost only 10 munitions and do more damage to a spread 6 man weapon teams than usual grenades; furthermore this ability can force your enemy to leave buildings. If maxims clump up then of course throw usual grenades. Jäger infantry can be spawned in buildings behind enemy lines and stab maxims, mortars and AT guns in the back whilst excelling in long range; note that your Jaegers can hold fire and infiltrate in cover if they reached veterancy. Later on you will be able to call in Ostwinds which are supposed to punish non conscript/guard supported weapon team play delicately since your enemy is not able to either AT nade or button your Ostwind. Be careful about AT guns, mines and possible armour call ins though. Go for Battlegroup Headquarters and produce one Half Track with Infrared Searchlight which enables you to spot the positions of maxims and other weapon teams. This alleviates flanking.

Other than that way you can go for a doctrine which can call in MG34s (Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine and Fortifications Doctrine). Fortify the position you want to hold (preferably your fuel point) with sandbags (built by Volksgrenadiers) and add some wire on possible flanking routs. As soon as you can call in MG34s get two of them at least and position them behind your sandbags. Go for Mechanised Regiment Headquarters and save fuel (convert munitions to fuel) for a Stuka zu Fuß which should target hostile mortars initially then - if you dealt with mortars - target other weapon teams. Pure weapon team spam is usually excellently countered by Stuka, even in 1v1 where a Stuka is quite fuel costly. Note that your Fallschirmjägers (from Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine) can hold fire and infiltrate if they reached veterancy like Jägers. You will benefit from this strategy further if you use Infrared Searchlights to spot targets for your Stuka; furthermore you can spot tanks which can be shot by your PaK43 in case you chose Fortifications Doctrine.

Everytime one of your infantry squads get caught by maxims click on these maxims and look at their arc of fire in order to prepare a successful flank.

6 Jul 2015, 13:23 PM

Thanks for all the great responses, I'mm will try to take them into account next time I run into it.
6 Jul 2015, 21:15 PM

Vs Maxim spam:

A) As someone mentioned, pick Scavenge doctrine to get Light Jaeger and also those AWESOME multiple grenades. Light Jaeger has sprint so you can flank maxims.

B)Get Stuka zu Fuss but aim good and watch out for early T70's. 2min COOLDOWN so use it wisely.

C)Get 2 LeIG, you will be surprised how good they are at supressing/pinning/killing/forcing retreat those Maxims.

PD: Are you guys seriously suggesting AAtrack vs maxims? 1 ZiS and you're done, you cant use it.Nice investiment.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★