Login

russian armor

Hinterhalt-Tarnung (Ambush) Camouflage

2 Jul 2015, 08:24 AM

For a few days now I've been working on a Hinterhalt-Tarnung Camouflage for Ostheer. Commonly labelled the Ambush Pattern camouflage, the Hinterhalt-Tarnung Camouflage came in a variety of different patterns based on what manufacturer produced the tank. For this set I have used the Diamler-Benz pattern.

I've included every vehicle for Ostheer including commander call in units such as the Opel Truck and the Puma. I still have work to do to make them each unit stand out in their own way.
Things like small details on certain vehicles such as a few different varieties of kill markings, logos and unit numbers. But I thought it about time to let people see what I've been working on. I will be making a different colour palette for the winter camouflage, for now the colours remain the same as the summer pattern.

So without further delay....My version of the Daimler-Benz Hinterhalt-Tarnung Camouflage.

Hinterhalt-Tarnung (Ambush) Camouflage For Wehrmacht

Hinterhalt-Tarnung (Ambush) Camouflage For Oberkommando West

The images shown here are also using a custom Angry Bears Decal set made by myself and Choccy.

SdKfz 221/2 Scout Car

SdKfz 251 Halftrack

StuG III Ausf. G Assault Gun

StuG III Ausf. E Assault Gun

Flakpanzer IV Ostwind

Panzer IV Ausf H Medium Tank

Panzer IV Ausf F1 (Stubby) Medium Tank

Panzer IV Ausf F1 Command Tank

Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbär"

Panther PzKpfw V Medium Tank

Panzerwerfer 42 Multiple Rocket Launcher

Opel Blitz Cargo Truck

SdKfz 250 Halftrack

SdKfz 250/7 Mortar Halftrack

Puma SdKfz 234

Tiger PzKpfw VI

Elefant Heavy Tank Destroyer

As I said I still have things to change, I have some mistakes I am aware of and possibly some I might not be so please feel free to point them out to me. I am also completely open to suggestions for change, so please feel free to post your opinions on such things.

EDIT: Included spoilers cause Wifi doesn't like having to scroll so much.

UPDATE 03/07: I've spent some time rescaling the camouflage texture, as many people have pointed out it would be worth my time to concentrate on that before fiddling with the smaller details. This update also includes the winter pattern colour palette for Ostheer. I have started work on the OKW units but I'm in no rush to release them just yet.

UPDATE 07/07: I've released the summer and winter skins for Oberkommando West in a separate download please see the links for details. I've also edited some of the current skins as they were getting some weird lighting effects on the wheels.
2 Jul 2015, 09:26 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

2 Jul 2015, 09:32 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Looks damn good!
2 Jul 2015, 12:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Panzer IV Ausf. I should be H or J. The I in the name of the model and skins is a typo or an inside joke at Relic. There was never an I. :P

Nice skins, though!
2 Jul 2015, 12:34 PM

Awesome! Very nice.
You can tell you've spent some time making these.
Do you plan on finishing the OKW vehicles as well?
2 Jul 2015, 13:04 PM

The Ausf. I was an H that was mistakenly identified by Allied troops as a new version.

#themoreyouknow

eliwood beat me to it. I'm so embarrassed
2 Jul 2015, 13:35 PM

First of all, the camouflage texture is too big, I think you used full size camo texture, am I right? You should just cut a little part and then lay it on skin. Original ambush camo had big patches, so you should cut as little part as the resolution allows to make it fit. Look at this picture for reference: http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Ambush-pattern1.jpg
Other thing is the colours are too bright and vivid, they should be toned down a little - glaring camo would rather encourage Jabos than camouflage your tank :) Simply lowering the saturation should do the trick.
2 Jul 2015, 13:36 PM

Neat :thumb:

Looks damn good!

Thanks Guys! :banana:

Panzer IV Ausf. I should be H or J. The I in the name of the model and skins is a typo or an inside joke at Relic. There was never an I. :P

Nice skins, though!

Yeah that's also a typo on my behalf too. I rushed labeling the spoilers. :D and thank you I'm glad you like them.

Awesome! Very nice.
You can tell you've spent some time making these.
Do you plan on finishing the OKW vehicles as well?

I do plan to do the OKW vehicles for now I'm trying to focus one faction at a time. So the winter palette will be next then onto OKW.

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2015, 13:04 PMsamich
The Ausf. I was an H that was mistakenly identified by Allied troops as a new version.

#themoreyouknow

eliwood beat me to it. I'm so embarrassed

Yeah that's just a typo I've fixed it now though :D

Again a big thanks I'm glad people are liking them so far! :thumbsup:
2 Jul 2015, 13:48 PM

First of all, the camouflage texture is too big, I think you used full size camo texture, am I right? You should just cut a little part and then lay it on skin. Original ambush camo had big patches, so you should cut as little part as the resolution allows to make it fit. Look at this picture for reference: http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Ambush-pattern1.jpg
Other thing is the colours are too bright and vivid, they should be toned down a little - glaring camo would rather encourage Jabos than camouflage your tank :) Simply lowering the saturation should do the trick.

The texture size is the way it is for now because each vehicle is different in size. So to solve having the camo look awkward on some vehicles I went about making a layer that would fit over everything to begin with that I could then work my way along each vehicle and adjust each ones camouflage size accordingly.

As for the colouring that depends on the map it is displayed on while yes the hue and saturation both need adjusting on the majority of the vehicles it will never look the same because of the lighting on maps being different. As you can see the screens are taken on a testing ground because it provides me with a lighting effect that is not altered and I can better perceive the way things look. they look quite different when played over the course of different maps.

So in short yes both of these things will change over the coming time but each vehicle in its own way and I thank you for you input it is both informative and genuine.

EDIT: I might also add that there are a few people each working on their own version of this particular camouflage and each are using their own size of the textures making it a hard thing to create while trying not to step on other peoples toes. So while I would love to make these perfect there may well be somebody out there who makes it better than I.
3 Jul 2015, 10:00 AM
Donator 11

3 Jul 2015, 11:09 AM
Patrion 14

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Or 5.99 eur for the whole set. Relic, take heed.
3 Jul 2015, 19:50 PM

Great job ;)

Cheers Lazarraga

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2015, 11:09 AMSappi
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Or 5.99 eur for the whole set. Relic, take heed.

Well good thing is it's free so you'll be able to save that money :D
3 Jul 2015, 19:56 PM

Update 03/07: Please check the bottom of the OP for details. For a sneak peek though check out these quick snaps.

3 Jul 2015, 19:59 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Bloody nice, they are:)
4 Jul 2015, 10:21 AM
Patrion 310

That looks swell :).
5 Jul 2015, 13:24 PM
Patrion 14

Yea, I know it's free but I don't want to look at Hello Kitty penistikas just to have these skins on; I'd rather they were official and curated.
7 Jul 2015, 08:16 AM

Update 07/07: Please check the bottom of the OP for details. In short I have released the OKW vehicles set and fixed some lighting issues. I'll just be doing a quick preview this time.

8 Jul 2015, 05:35 AM

yea looks realy nice :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 28
United States 2
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L