Login

russian armor

Tank smoke.

27 Jun 2015, 14:18 PM

I know this has been brought up countless times, but are we ever going to see a change to tank smoke?

It is a skilless, get-out-of-jail-free ability that ignores bad play and is heavily RNG influenced. The only counter play is attack grounding which is extremely inaccurate and straight up broken on certain maps due to the geometry. Players need never be afraid of overextending into ATGs, Su-85s and Jacksons when they can get away scot-free.

It is neither an exciting ability nor is it being used as an aggressive tool which I'm sure Relic intended it to be used as.

I'd suggest making the vehicle only able to pop smoke if has no critical applied to it. This way we would see it more as an offensive tool than the phase plasma shield it is now.

This also applies to blitz (even though it was nerfed on heavies iirc). Blitz isn't as bad since the tank is still hittable, but the solution here is simple: Don't let the tank use blitz when reversing.
Hux
27 Jun 2015, 14:28 PM
Patrion 14

I know this has been brought up countless times, but are we ever going to see a change to tank smoke?

It is a skilless, get-out-of-jail-free ability that ignores bad play and is heavily RNG influenced. The only counter play is attack grounding which is extremely inaccurate and straight up broken on certain maps due to the geometry. Players need never be afraid of overextending into ATGs, Su-85s and Jacksons when they can get away scot-free.

It is neither an exciting ability nor is it being used as an aggressive tool which I'm sure Relic intended it to be used as.

I'd suggest making the vehicle only able to pop smoke if has no critical applied to it. This way we would see it more as an offensive tool than the phase plasma shield it is now.

This also applies to blitz (even though it was nerfed on heavies iirc). Blitz isn't as bad since the tank is still hittable, but the solution here is simple: Don't let the tank use blitz when reversing.

I think the cant have been crit'd thing is a bit much. Although I do agree its a bit too easy.

Having to manually aim it, like the Sherman has to would go a long way to making this ability more balanced. Using it offensively would mean a much larger level of micro, especially if being used by multiple vehicles simultaneously.

I'd be happy for it to be that way.
27 Jun 2015, 15:03 PM
Patrion 14

yep. it is too easy.
27 Jun 2015, 16:23 PM

Don't let the tank use blitz when reversing.

I don't think they have away to set forward and reverse speeds. However you could make blitz an out of combat ability so it can only be used at the start of an assault and not as a get away speed buff.
27 Jun 2015, 16:43 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2015, 16:23 PMTetley

I don't think they have away to set forward and reverse speeds. However you could make blitz an out of combat ability so it can only be used at the start of an assault and not as a get away speed buff.

Yes thats an alternative, but If that were the case then the speed buff should be lengthened by about 5 seconds. Because it currently only last 10 seconds.
27 Jun 2015, 17:27 PM

Would require a change of a lot of doctrines, which Relic probably isn't going to do.

Buuuuuut they have said they are going to rework all Vet abilities so Blitz will probably get a change/removed.
27 Jun 2015, 18:01 PM
Donator 22

I like the way Shermans use smoke. Fire it somewhere. That works beautifully.
-->use that for Wehr as well is my suggestion
27 Jun 2015, 18:03 PM
Benefactor 115

I would like them to at least make panzer tactician be like how sherman smoke is deployed instead of how it currently is (press button to not die)
27 Jun 2015, 18:18 PM

Free deployable smoke on literally every vehicle with half an inch of armor if you made it the way the Sherman smoke is would probably be a little bit more OP than it currently is.
27 Jun 2015, 18:27 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They should have just avoided putting it on the best Ostheer commanders. Elite and Spearhead do not need this at all. It would be good if they switched them for the air dropped smoke pots on these commanders.

I'd say it's fine on Fortified Armor, Festung Armor, Blitzkrieg, and Mobile Defense because of how little these doctrines are used.
27 Jun 2015, 18:48 PM

The smoke at least needs to have a slight 2 second delay or something. It's the instant nature of the ability that bugs me the most. They can just walk right into situations that will get their tanks killed, cause causalities for enemy players, pop smoke and get away with 0 cost to themselves.

And attack ground is not always something players can do in time. Most players simply don't have the micro skill to hit attack ground instantly. It can take even good players around 3 seconds and that's

Right now the ability too heavily rewards bad micro and decisions. It's way too good, especially on already hard to kill tanks like panthers and tigers.
27 Jun 2015, 18:51 PM

Permanently Banned

And attack ground is not always something players can do in time. Most players simply don't have the micro skill to hit attack ground instantly. It can take even good players around 3 seconds and that's

3 seconds to press "G", aim, and click?

I don't agree, it takes at most, half a second to do this.
27 Jun 2015, 19:01 PM

3 seconds to press "G", aim, and click?

I don't agree, it takes at most, half a second to do this.

Maybe for you. Not at generally intermediate level play I see. Things in this game need to be need to be balanced for not only high level players but lower as well.

Most players I see can take a good two seconds just to hit reverse, and that's something they are prepared to do. Smoke comes with no warning and will catch a lot of players off guard as they scramble to hit G and the right spot.
27 Jun 2015, 19:14 PM

Well, 3secs is more than enought. I assume that smoking tank is in the center of battle, and you see it. Hotkey for AT gun, hotkey for ground attack and 1 click is something you can do in 1-1.5s especially if you have cursor ready over target since you do everything else with hotkeys.
Just a bit of practice :)

To the topic...

I think, all skill abilities should be countered with skills, so skill-less abilities should be easily countered by your own skills. From that point of view, if we assume that ground attack requires some mid-level skills to execute right, it's fine between Sherman smoke and ground attack - skill smoke vs skill micro. But PT is truly braindead ability which you can try to deny with your own skills - not fair. One big smoke nade aimed manually would be better cause right now it's A-move + "Oh shit, 2 ZiSes" + smoke and be happy.

It promotes brainless attacks which are not punished.
27 Jun 2015, 19:46 PM

Permanently Banned
Try to use more than just "T" and "R" for hotkeys.
27 Jun 2015, 19:52 PM

Panzer Tactician on light vehicles like the Puma, HT, and whatnot are fine because they do need the extra survivability later in the game. Were it gets problematic is when you have Tigers/Panthers running around field using it.

Personally I would like to see Panzer Tactician for the Tiger and Panther get switched to a "smoke thrower" like the Sherman.
27 Jun 2015, 19:55 PM

Panzer Tactician on light vehicles like the Puma, HT, and whatnot are fine because they do need the extra survivability later in the game. Were it gets problematic is when you have Tigers/Panthers running around field using it.
Yeah on light vehicles it's perfectly fine. Most of them die in two hits anyway.
27 Jun 2015, 19:55 PM
Patrion 14

Free deployable smoke on literally every vehicle with half an inch of armor if you made it the way the Sherman smoke is would probably be a little bit more OP than it currently is.

I won't comment on whether anything would be op or not, however:

Neither panzer tactician nor sherman smoke is free. ;)
27 Jun 2015, 20:38 PM

I won't comment on whether anything would be op or not, however:

Neither panzer tactician nor sherman smoke is free. ;)

Panzer Tact isn't free, Sherman smoke however is.

27 Jun 2015, 20:40 PM

Panzer Tact isn't free, Sherman smoke however is.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★