Login

russian armor

P4 wiping squds

26 Jun 2015, 21:19 PM

The last couple of games I've gone up against a P4 and it now pretty much wipes squads left and right. Is this just a new paradigm with tanks? Or is the P4 just stupidly powerful against infantry?
26 Jun 2015, 21:23 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Pretty sure that's just RNG kicking in. Any tank with reasonable AOE can knock down full squads if they bunch enough. This is particularly noticeable when the squad is:

1. Leaving cover/entering cover
2. Coming around corners
3. Exiting buildings
4. Moving with obstacles on both sides
5. Infantry being infantry and closing ranks because they feel like it

Ever since the patch I've been holding down the right mouse key at most positions during a fight in trying to get the squad to spread out as much as possible.
26 Jun 2015, 21:35 PM

Permanently Banned

Ever since the patch I've been holding down the right mouse key at most positions during a fight in trying to get the squad to spread out as much as possible.
26 Jun 2015, 22:00 PM

People just didn't realize how strong the p4 is because they were all too busy calling in tigers to try anything new. Nothing about the p4 itself changed this patch as far as I remember.
26 Jun 2015, 22:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2015, 22:00 PMCieZ
People just didn't realize how strong the p4 is because they were all too busy calling in tigers to try anything new. Nothing about the p4 itself changed this patch as far as I remember.

This meta hasn't helped, the Soviet player can get 2 T34/85s by the time the Ost player gets 1 P4, and with mark target called in, it gets beat.
26 Jun 2015, 23:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2015, 22:00 PMCieZ

Pretty much this.

P4 was always potent.
Now it can have StuG support for AT and there isn't much in armor department that can contest the combo for cost effectiveness.
26 Jun 2015, 23:29 PM

No one remembers the squad wiping p4s from 2 years ago lol
26 Jun 2015, 23:38 PM

Why tanks need to be so good at wiping infantry ?
They have HMGs upgrade for it.

It's make the game less fun then is was before.

When a full vet inf squad is wiped like that, it's often a game over... So why let random decide the outcome of a match that much ? Not fun neither competitive....

My opinions.
26 Jun 2015, 23:41 PM

Speaking 1v1, the PIV would be fine if it was not for the meta, since you still get only one at 7-8cps, where it will have very limited impact, and then at 10 cps the 85s hit at roughly the same price, and they are individually stronger than the PIV, and outclass it in practical gameplay terms since they come in tandem and with mark target. The IS-2 pretty much walks all over even 2 PIVs, or a PIV and a StuG.
Against USF, PIV builds are semi-viable, but Easy-8s and M10s are still far more cost-effective. Against competent opponents I have never not regretted building a PIV. :(
26 Jun 2015, 23:43 PM

Speaking 1v1, the PIV would be fine if it was not for the meta, since you still get only one at 7-8cps, where it will have very limited impact, and then at 10 cps the 85s hit at roughly the same price, and they are individually stronger than the PIV, and outclass it in practical gameplay terms since they come in tandem and with mark target. The IS-2 pretty much walks all over even 2 PIVs, or a PIV and a StuG.
Against USF, PIV builds are semi-viable, but Easy-8s and M10s are still far more cost-effective. Against competent opponents I have never not regretted building a PIV. :(
i rather have a p4 than a sherman or t34/76
26 Jun 2015, 23:46 PM

i rather have a p4 than a sherman or t34/76

Eh, wat? I think you'll be pretty alone in that opinion, no offence. ;) You ever saw what a Sherman does to German infantry? Its simply objectively better: Better AOE, plus smoke, plus superglue etc, and in a 1v1 tank encounter it pretty much comes down to RNG until the PIV gets its skirts.
The 34/76 I agree, then again it costs a good deal less and its a Soviet tank, and with Soviets you don't have much of an excuse not to have dominant map control through the early-midgame in 1v1.

Again, I tried playing Ostheer fluffy and nice with tech and whatnot in this patch, and you get punished even more brutally for doing so than last patch....congratulations relic.
27 Jun 2015, 00:12 AM

Permanently Banned
Sherman is not better than a p4
27 Jun 2015, 00:21 AM

If P4 didn't have Blitz I'd agree
27 Jun 2015, 00:22 AM

Sherman is not better than a p4

Well, what do you base that on? Look at the stats, look at the squadsizes, there is your answer. And that is before considering the gameplay environment/faction dynamics/timing, like the Sherman usually appearing much earlier etc.
Shermans can win you a game, P IVs often leads you to lose it. Still before I sound too pessimistic, the PIV as a medium generalist per se is fine, but in the call-in meta it just does not have much of a place.
27 Jun 2015, 00:32 AM

I dno what the stats are on paper, but I'd take the P over the Sherman (i play usf, maybe im just bored of the sherman).
27 Jun 2015, 00:35 AM

Well, what do you base that on? Look at the stats, look at the squadsizes, there is your answer. And that is before considering the gameplay environment/faction dynamics/timing, like the Sherman usually appearing much earlier etc.
Shermans can win you a game, P IVs often leads you to lose it. Still before I sound too pessimistic, the PIV as a medium generalist per se is fine, but in the call-in meta it just does not have much of a place.

You would lose in the past because tier 3 was incapable dealing with 85/e8 or is2. p4 is fine a medium tank.
27 Jun 2015, 00:39 AM

I dno what the stats are on paper, but I'd take the P over the Sherman (i play usf, maybe im just bored of the sherman).

No offence man, but sounds like a "grass always greener" thing. Look up this:
http://www.coh2-stats.com/
...consider the weapon profiles, in short, the Sherman when using HE is much deadlier against infantry while fighting smaller squads.
27 Jun 2015, 00:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2015, 00:35 AMZyllen

You would lose in the past because tier 3 was incapable dealing with 85/e8 or is2. p4 is fine a medium tank.

I'll let you in to a terrible secret: Tier 3 is still incapable of dealing with call-ins.:)
In fact even more so since you can't just defuse rushes by fausting....
As I've stated before, PIV is nice enough per se, but against the usual hurr durr Guard motor 85/E-8 spam its suicidal.
27 Jun 2015, 00:56 AM

No offence man, but sounds like a "grass always greener" thing. Look up this:
http://www.coh2-stats.com/
...consider the weapon profiles, in short, the Sherman when using HE is much deadlier against infantry while fighting smaller squads.

Oh, I forgot we were talking about strictly infantry capability. In that case, I would take the sherman with HE of course.

But in straight tank vs tank, I'd take the Piv.
27 Jun 2015, 00:58 AM

I'll let you in to a terrible secret: Tier 3 is still incapable of dealing with call-ins.:)
In fact even more so since you can't just defuse rushes by fausting....
As I've stated before, PIV is nice enough per se, but against the usual hurr durr Guard motor 85/E-8 spam its suicidal.

The P4 is not expected to deal with callins. The P4 is expected to punish your enemy for waiting for callins.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★