Login

russian armor

Why No Maxim Buff?

PAGES (9)down
2 Jul 2015, 11:09 AM

I guess we can agree than dshk is awful with AP rounds.

At long range it takes 6-7 bursts to kill flaktruck.
HMG42 at the same range kills AA truck in 2 bursts.
If you cannot reverse away from dshk, well...
If HMG42 catches you with AP rounds, you have almost no chances to go back.

No need to say more.
2 Jul 2015, 11:53 AM

I guess we can agree than dshk is awful with AP rounds.

At long range it takes 6-7 bursts to kill flaktruck.
HMG42 at the same range kills AA truck in 2 bursts.
If you cannot reverse away from dshk, well...
If HMG42 catches you with AP rounds, you have almost no chances to go back.

No need to say more.

The reason why it takes so long is it's got poor long range Pen, that's about it. It does 80 damage per burst which to a Flaktrack is really putting on the hurt.
2 Jul 2015, 12:11 PM

The reason why it takes so long is it's got poor long range Pen, that's about it. It does 80 damage per burst which to a Flaktrack is really putting on the hurt.

Ignoring penetration, MG42 would take 7 seconds to kill a flakht, while dshk takes 12 seconds. When you add in the MG42 having over two times the penetration things quickly start looking really pathetic.
6 Jul 2015, 20:26 PM

While it is better at attacking, it is also less good at defending bigger areas. You have to do a lot more guessing as to where the enemy will come from if you use it to say, defend your cut off on Road to Karkov. The offensive capabilities of the maxim already don't come for free.

And when it comes to grenades, all HMGs have it tough. While the maxim may be slightly better at dodging grenades if you pick up early enough (i.e. before it is thrown) it also already suffers from the drawback that the HMG gets dropped if the gunner is killed, forcing the whole squad to stop their retreat and pick the gun back up. So while the other members may have fled a bit more, the slower turning maxim gunner may get killed, allowing you to do more damage to it and potentially wipe the squad. Other HMGs don't have this, if the gunner is killed on retreat, the gun just magically teleports to the next guy; making it easier for the squad to escape compared to the maxim.

The maxim has some pros en cons that already weigh up to the pros and cons of other HMGs, the only difference is that the maxim does not do the 1 job it is supposed to do unlike other HMGs.

Maxim vs. Blob

If that was an mg42 the whole blob would be suppressed on 1 burst and pinned on 2nd or 3rd.
6 Jul 2015, 20:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2015, 12:11 PMCruzz

Ignoring penetration, MG42 would take 7 seconds to kill a flakht, while dshk takes 12 seconds. When you add in the MG42 having over two times the penetration things quickly start looking really pathetic.

It Is Known the Dhsk still needs love, but it's by no means as pathetic as it was before. It can atleast do well against infantry now yes?
6 Jul 2015, 20:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Maxim vs. Blob

If that was an mg42 the whole blob would be suppressed on 1 burst and pinned on 2nd or 3rd.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, you saw a Maxim actually suppress more than two units?

I tried one in CheatCommands to hit a blob and only saw it suppress two units at once! And the second one took six seconds instead of three/four.
6 Jul 2015, 22:12 PM
Donator 11

While it is better at attacking, it is also less good at defending bigger areas. You have to do a lot more guessing as to where the enemy will come from if you use it to say, defend your cut off on Road to Karkov. The offensive capabilities of the maxim already don't come for free.

And when it comes to grenades, all HMGs have it tough. While the maxim may be slightly better at dodging grenades if you pick up early enough (i.e. before it is thrown) it also already suffers from the drawback that the HMG gets dropped if the gunner is killed, forcing the whole squad to stop their retreat and pick the gun back up. So while the other members may have fled a bit more, the slower turning maxim gunner may get killed, allowing you to do more damage to it and potentially wipe the squad. Other HMGs don't have this, if the gunner is killed on retreat, the gun just magically teleports to the next guy; making it easier for the squad to escape compared to the maxim.

The maxim has some pros en cons that already weigh up to the pros and cons of other HMGs, the only difference is that the maxim does not do the 1 job it is supposed to do unlike other HMGs.

This
6 Jul 2015, 22:22 PM

What I have found with the DHSK is that the bursts it fires come really slowly and it seems to target only one infantry at a time and I have to manually target another squad that enters its radius for it to even suppress them (unlike MG42 which insta-suppresses anything that gets close to its arc).

Also here is a video of DHSK AP rounds vs. Ost HT:
6 Jul 2015, 22:49 PM

I managed a miracle today: I pinned 4 grenadiers with 1 maxim! They came in 2 by 2 through a narrow path that they could not escape from and I had to micro like hell to keep them all pinned because they lost the pinned status and became suppressed rather quickly even when I was focusing a squad right next to them. Even then, 2 of them almost made it past my maxim. And by almost, I really mean almost, they almost crossed the arch 1 meter away from the gun.

I then did a counter attack and 1 MG42 was able to pin 3 of my squads, which were a bit more spread out. They were all pinned without even making it halfway to the MG42. No micro required by the axis player because the AoE suppression is 13.

It's pathetic that both of these units cost 240mp.
6 Jul 2015, 23:43 PM

L2F (flank)
6 Jul 2015, 23:50 PM

It is hard to flank when 2 MG42s cover the only avenues of approach on half the maps in this game...
7 Jul 2015, 00:26 AM
Donator 11

L2F (flank)

With the Maxim :snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter:
7 Jul 2015, 00:36 AM

Sarcasm people
7 Jul 2015, 02:48 AM

even my grens close to each other like that, the Maxim still couldn't suppress them all, and my men can easily shoot back. It's really no problem?

If Relics reverse the status between MG42 and Maxim HMG, can you the honorable player could accept the MG42 that even couldn't suppress the cons blob as close as that? No, I guess just after the patch goes live for 15 minutes will there be flooded by "MG42 overnerfed" thread.

It is no point why I have to buy a mg with 240mp but couldn't do the same like others HMG :*( Just give the Maxim and the Dskh a 80% of even 60% near suppression radius, or buff it like others and nerf some of the setup time, or remain the same but lower the cost and the pop cap.

And like in the last twitch, seems Relic confirmed that the maxim receives no change was a bug and they will fix that in next hotfix? If it's real, did they fix that?

7 Jul 2015, 03:49 AM
Patrion 14

It Is Known the Dhsk still needs love, but it's by no means as pathetic as it was before. It can atleast do well against infantry now yes?

Just because it's better than before is not a reason to defend it. Its an overpriced piece of s#%! For what it does. Its ok to just say that and not try to explain away it's weaknesses. There is absolutely no reason for the DSHK to cost 300mp and be so much worse than the .50, mg42, and mg34.
7 Jul 2015, 03:56 AM

Just because it's better than before is not a reason to defend it. Its an overpriced piece of s#%! For what it does. Its ok to just say that and not try to explain away it's weaknesses. There is absolutely no reason for the DSHK to cost 300mp and be so much worse than the .50, mg42, and mg34.

I'm agreeing with you, but hyberbole serves no purpose but to poison discussions. Lots of people like to swear things are legit shit when they are just anemic that need some slight buffs here and there to be effective.

What the Dhsk needs is just to do AoE suppression and get better AP rounds, bim bam bosh there you go!
7 Jul 2015, 04:10 AM
Patrion 14

I'm agreeing with you, but hyberbole serves no purpose but to poison discussions. Lots of people like to swear things are legit shit when they are just anemic that need some slight buffs here and there to be effective.

What the Dhsk needs is just to do AoE suppression and get better AP rounds, bim bam bosh there you go!

Taint hyperbole, tis the truth.

The DSHK has a crisis of faith currently, like the maxim, it doesn't know what it wants to do with its life.

If it is meant to be a damage mg, it needs to be doing a lot more damage per burst, so that it can have mg42 incind rounds on constantly in terms of damage (accuracy can be low though so it isn't too powerful vs. infantry). his way, it won't murder infantry but absolutely will murder light vehicles when it has AP rounds equipped. Then, its AOE suppression can be excused.

Else, the DSHK needs to have a much larger supression AOE than the MG42/ MG34, allowing it to efficiently punish blobs in front of it. Then the damage can be similar to that of those mgs, and its pack up, set up time can be slightly increased.

The DSHK is 300 mp, and as the most expensive MG in the game, it should be the most powerful. It is currently a jack of all trades unit that excels at doing "meh" at every role its given. It doesn't need buffs to make it slightly less "meh" at all roles, it needs buffs to make it an effective unit at a singular role, and to reflect its high price-tag.
7 Jul 2015, 04:14 AM
Patrion 28

the problem with the MG42 is that it has to be very effective at suppressing since it's used to deal with cons (who have oorah) and riflemen (who are very powerful). it needs to have effective counters though which it doesn't right now. mortars are shit and USF doesn't even have mortars nor any indirect fire for the first 5 minutes of the game...

shit design relic.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight