Login

russian armor

Strategies for OKW vs Guard Motor

18 Jun 2015, 06:18 AM

So, I guess a lot of people have this problem, playing as OKW. I fought two Russian players yesterday one was very good, one was not so good but both of them went guard motor. I just seem to be at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do. My opener is three Volksgrenadiers, went with Luft for FJ call in. But both games I got dominated at the fuel points. Where I would send one Volk squad, there would be two conscripts that just tore them apart. So I made a mg42, tried attacking another point. Two Volks squad advanced, with the mg set up in cover behind them. Encounter three conscripts pulled back so they get into the mgs firing arc. As soon as he the other players see it they pops their charge run at the mg, kills it and tears apart the two volks squad supporting it. I finally got enough to make a Flack halftrack but guard rifles and conscripts destroyed it. Tried the same thing took an empty point set up the halftrack behind two volks squads who started capturing it. Eventually the conscripts arrive, now with guards with those anti-tank rifles. The conscripts charged, threw a grenade to disable the halftrack and the guards killed it.

What is a good counter to this army, it consistently gives me trouble. Wants those conscripts all get SMGs, supported by maxims, guard rifle they just swarm the fuel points and deny me any hope of pulling out armor before I'm crushed.

This is just from my personal view in that last couple games I've played, but it seems like Conscripts beat out a Volks squad 1v1, they just run at them. I'm pretty good at setting up in cover, or deploying sandbags while I'm capturing points. It just seems they run up with the conscript squads close the gap and destroy the volks squad.

Any advice on what I should be doing, what commander to use, or a good opener would be very helpful.
18 Jun 2015, 06:57 AM

Spend your first 100 fuel on a stuka and the rest of your MP on the reptilian Rak43s, they are a beast now and 4XR43s can kill an IS2 in the blink of an eye, let alone the t34 twins.

Kubel+2X sturms is a good early build order. Volks are awful unless you build 4 or more.
18 Jun 2015, 07:44 AM

is about the extent of your options in response.

you're on the right track, but instead of mech reg, i'd recommend a Schwerer and a luchs. if they decide to totally disregard tech you can have a field day. personally from there i like to grab as many schu mines as humanly possible and a couple JPiV's over a panther but i think that'll come down to preference.

also may i recommend posting your next replay in our replay reviews section so a strategist may analyze your game. often little thematic mistakes can add up and become insurmountable. it would help us to get a handle on what exactly is going on.
18 Jun 2015, 13:00 PM
Donator 11

While FlakHT & Luchs can be good counters against infantry / Guard spam, they're still very vulnerable against double Guard Motor, and with insufficient micro you gonna lose your investment faster than you can hit surrender.

A replay might be helpful, to see what went wrong, which map you played. And did you play in an AT, or random?

Small hints in advance:
Pak43 & support > 85 spam
Stuka > 120s / infantry
PFs / combined arms > Guards
Now add a JP4 / Panther / KT, whatever is currently more needed, and your enemy shall have a "fun" time as well.
18 Jun 2015, 14:20 PM

SOrry, I'm new to this. Only just started playing online. I have only been doing random matches so far. I still have the reply how would I go about putting it on here? Thanks for the advice everyone.
18 Jun 2015, 21:32 PM
Donator 11

Upload it here:
http://www.coh2.org/replay/upload
Then give us the link.

Preferably from a game where you want input on.
Apropo replays: maybe create a topic for it here: http://www.coh2.org/forum/109/replay-reviews

19 Jun 2015, 00:51 AM

I lost those those games in question, I did put another game up for review that was not against guard motors, but I still lost in.
23 Jun 2015, 02:59 AM

Open with 1 Kubel - 3 Volks - T3 Fuel Boost - 1 more Volk - Flak HT at min 5 to counter M3a1, Consripts . Flak HT is good vs both light ammor and infantry.
In mid game you can call 2 Jaegers or 2 Panzerfusiliers.
Make a Puma or Raketenwefer to counter T34 76 or T70 before min 13 ( T34 76 often goes at min 12-13)
You can call Ostwind at 8CP if you want :P
T4 flak truck at min 11-14 (sooner as you can) ,make Obers.
You might need Jadgpanzer 4 ,Pumas and Raketenwefers to counter T34 85s at 11 CP.
Late game with KingTiger.
Sorry for my bad english :P
Hope this can help you.
23 Jun 2015, 06:05 AM

I understood what you said perfectly, thank you for the advice. I have yet to unlock the jager light infantry commander though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★