Login

russian armor

XCOM

9 Aug 2015, 03:26 AM

only problem right now, the estimate release time is in NOV 2015 yet there is no exact release date or pre order available yet except amazon and amazon pre order release date is set dec 31 2015. so i doubt we will able to see it release this year.
9 Aug 2015, 18:30 PM

Umm? That wasn't an estimated date, it was announced as such by the developers. They might conceivably have to delay, these things happen, but not usually after an announcement at such a high profile event. The fact that some second party retailers may or may not have dates doesn't mean anything significant; for all we know Firaxis just don't want to put things in the hands of others, after recent leaks of things like Fallout 3 and Stellaris.

Too much tea-leaf reading, in short.
10 Aug 2015, 06:00 AM

makes no difference to me i'll preorder it regardless and support firaxis same with bethesda
10 Aug 2015, 17:13 PM

Pre-ordering breaks the relationship supposedly inherent in the transaction, in which you give them money for a working product. It takes pressure off companies to deliver games that live up to their advertising, or even just simply ship in a working state. After all they already have your money, and even in the worst case they can count on a lot of people not being willing to go to the hassle of getting a refund.

There once was a time video game reviews and word of mouth played the most important part in determining the success of a new title. There'd be a chance for either professional critics or like-minded peers to get their hands on a game and tell you whether it's actually worth your time or money. With games being so expensive, those opinions can be - and to be sure, are still in some way (especially word of mouth) - important!

They can also be bad for business if you're in the business of making or selling video games, though, so removing that roadblock is in both the publisher's and retailer's best interests. The cult of preordering is how this is achieved. By getting your commitment to purchase a game in advance, when all you've got to go on is a marketing campaign, you're signalling that you, as a consumer, are totally cool spending $40-$60 on a game simply on the strength of how it's been marketed.

And it works, with many games tallying up preorder counts in the millions.

Want to know why there aren't any demos anymore? This is why. Want to know why content is withheld from everyone's game and is instead sprinkled across various competing retailers? This is why. Want to know why there's now an accepted norm where those paying more for a game can sometimes gain competitive advantages? This is why. Publishers don't need to sell you on their games, because by slavishly throwing money down before they're even out, you've signalled your intent to take whatever it is they give you.

http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preordering-video-games-please

There's an old aphorism that you should never buy a pig in a poke, and that's exactly what pre-ordering tries to get us to do.
11 Aug 2015, 04:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Aug 2015, 17:13 PMsquippy
Pre-ordering breaks the relationship supposedly inherent in the transaction, in which you give them money for a working product. It takes pressure off companies to deliver games that live up to their advertising, or even just simply ship in a working state. After all they already have your money, and even in the worst case they can count on a lot of people not being willing to go to the hassle of getting a refund.

http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preordering-video-games-please

There's an old aphorism that you should never buy a pig in a poke, and that's exactly what pre-ordering tries to get us to do.

xcom enemy unknown and enemy within did not fail to disappoint you did it?
11 Aug 2015, 04:31 AM

I preordered witcher 3 almost year ago and when it was released it exceeded all my super hight expectations.

I bought Xcom in release day, it was exactly what i wanted.

Bad companies who does not care about their customers would make bad games and spend half of budget on marketing, good companies would make hight-quality games which would speak for themselves, preordering would not change a thing.

Looking forward to preorder Xcom2.
11 Aug 2015, 05:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2015, 04:31 AMJadame!
I preordered witcher 3 almost year ago and when it was released it exceeded all my super hight expectations.

I bought Xcom in release day, it was exactly what i wanted.

Bad companies who does not care about their customers would make bad games and spend half of budget on marketing, good companies would make hight-quality games which would speak for themselves, preordering would not change a thing.

Looking forward to preorder Xcom2.

witcher 3 is on my wish list i hear good things about it problem is my comp can't run it =(
12 Aug 2015, 02:17 AM

witcher 3 is on my wish list i hear good things about it problem is my comp can't run it =(

you can run COH2 then you should be fine to run the witcher 3, my laptop runs both witcher 3 and COH2 on lowest sitting about same FPS borrow your friend's GOG copy and try it out.
12 Aug 2015, 06:54 AM

you can run COH2 then you should be fine to run the witcher 3, my laptop runs both witcher 3 and COH2 on lowest sitting about same FPS borrow your friend's GOG copy and try it out.

right now i'm planning on getting/building a new comp since the current comp i have right now is obsolete
14 Aug 2015, 07:24 AM

So a few people have non-negative expeirences; that doesn't alter the harm its doing to the industry. Even when companies actually deliver the product they advertised - unlike the case of Colonial Marines, to name but one egregious offender - they can change whatever rewards they offer for pre-ordering at whim. Or they can offer stuff that is effectively pay-to-win, or features which should have been in yhe game as standard but were cut to make an enticing pre-order offer.

I have not argued that you are automatically going to be disappointed by pre-ordering; I'm saying that you;re encouraging developers to put more effort into marketing than actually making games.
28 Aug 2015, 21:38 PM
23 Oct 2015, 09:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2015, 20:32 PMVuther
So how's about that XCOM 2 eh? The different direction was surprising and intriguing to me - I hope it utilizes the change in setting to its fullest, and then things could turn out pretty well for the game.

On a related note, I went back to the previous XCOM playing the Long War mod on it, which is HOLYSHITGODDAMNAMAZING10/10!

Playing long war now! :D
It's rough, I need better armor and guns but lack resources (alloy). Soon I have two second gen carbines and I have one second gen armor. Hardly enough to go around. Just finished the fishing camp mission and that one I reloaded a few times (I usually live with results) and in the end two survived, 35 aliens killed. It took maximum caution and the trooper that pushed the button went there alone and I returned to extraction with the other two since I had played the game before and knew what was coming. "Run like the wind and our prayers are with your sole soldier" I though. She didn't make it back.
21 Dec 2015, 03:37 AM

saw updated gameplay footage of XCOM 2 on youtube u guys shud check it out if u got the time
12 Jan 2016, 19:52 PM

3-4 weeks from now here in the US XCOM 2 come out! cant w8 to go nuts with the mods
4 Feb 2016, 05:09 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

You're all probably not as nuts as me so it doesn't matter to you BUT PRE-LOAD'S OUT!
5 Feb 2016, 18:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I failed the first real mission on the second hardest difficulty so it made me restart it

And then I did it without getting hit :romeoPro:

And I turned my friends into soldiers/Dark VIPs first, of course.
12 Feb 2016, 13:26 PM

Having sunk around 30 hours into it so far I can say this game is a masterpiece and will go down in history as one of the greatest pc games ever made.

There are few minor/balance/performance issues but I'm enjoying the game greatly. It has everything that made XCOM EU great and improved on those features which were lacking.
13 Feb 2016, 23:04 PM

Late to the replies, but just wanted to say... OMG... SO MANY MODS FOR THIS GAME OUT ALREADY?
I've completed the campaign three times already, and it's still got such replay value. I adore it.

Money well spent, truly :)
23 Feb 2016, 22:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment