Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 2 Voices

PAGES (8)down
7 Jun 2015, 04:58 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Not sure where this would go, but I think we need a thread for various voices found within the game so we can discuss the various voices and place in clips for units/chatter.

While some people may not like the Company of Heroes 2 voices compared to the first game, I quite enjoy them in their own way. It's a slightly more realistic version versus the high-and-mighty voices from the last game.

Since I got the extractor and conversion tools, I think I'll also begin to place in voice clips here since there are only a few of those on youtube.

1.Unused Rear Echaleon: "Kraut rocket ship coming in!"
2.Obersoldaten
3.Ostheer Half-Track
4.Shock Troops
5.Paratroopers
6.Sturmpioneers
7.Pathfinders
8.Guards
9.British Heavy Armour
10.Ostheer Mediums
11.Pioneers
12.USF Riflemen
13.Grenadiers
14.Sappers
15.Fallschirmjager
16.Panzerfusiliers
17.Soviet Scout Car(s)
18.Soviet Heavy Armour
19.British Medium Armour
20. USF Medium Armour
21.Ostheer Announcer
22. Soviet Announcer
7 Jun 2015, 11:34 AM

I prefer CoH2's voices over CoH1's, they're more down to earth for the most part. Your riflemen aren't all archetypal drill sergeants, they're just young guys. Although they complain and say "dopes" too much.

I'm assuming Relic didn't use Black Rear Echelons because they're the cheapest and weakest infantry unit in the USF, and people looking to be offended would get offended by that...

On the topic of voices, Obersoldaten are still referred to as Honor Guards by Volksgrenadiers. That was their old name before Relic (arguably) made one up for them.
7 Jun 2015, 11:38 AM

I prefer CoH2's voices over CoH1's, they're more down to earth for the most part. Your riflemen aren't all archetypal drill sergeants, they're just young guys. Although they complain and say "dopes" too much.

I'm assuming Relic didn't use Black Rear Echelons because they're the cheapest and weakest infantry unit in the USF, and people looking to be offended would get offended by that...

On the topic of voices, Obersoldaten are still referred to as Honor Guards by Volksgrenadiers. That was their old name before Relic (arguably) made one up for them.

And Obers sound like a 70 years old granny....
7 Jun 2015, 11:48 AM

And Obers sound like a 70 years old granny....

Just keeping up the tradition of squeaky-voices elite infantry, a la CoH1 Stormtroopers.
7 Jun 2015, 11:49 AM

Or simply because blacks had their own units. Don't forget this is 1944.
7 Jun 2015, 11:55 AM

Relic's voice actors Ja-Ja Binksed the Germans

"Mee-sah germanz, we-sa fight-a war, oh noes, running aways!"

[EDIT] The Russians were not voice acted by actual Russians. They sound very bad. (The CoH1 Germans were also not voiced by Germans and made mistakes but still sounded more vibrant than coh2's)

Almost every Russian word is pronounced incorrectly, eg it should be "rOdina", not "rodIna"

While the Ostheer appeared to have been voice-acted by actual germans, they have been voice-acted horribly. Would soldiers really sound like that? Squeeky whiny voices... The commanders for OKW and OST sound like old men with dyssentry.

Ost Grens sound awful. "wiz our nu mg forty twooooooooz" They also sound like whiny old men. Why can't they have a bit of punch in their voices like the US riflemen?

For me the voice-acting is so atrociously bad, it spoils the gameplay.

US sounds great to me though. Soviet commander voice is also not bad.
7 Jun 2015, 12:08 PM

Or simply because blacks had their own units. Don't forget this is 1944.

It's the battle of the bulge. Blacks were officially forbidden from serving on the front lines and were limited to rear-echelon duties only. But during the battle of the bulge a lot of them ended up going to the front due to the desperate need for fighters.

The commanders for OKW and OST sound like old men with dyssentry.

But Ost Commander's voice is by a German, and probably the only non-English voice actor in the game voicing his own faction.
7 Jun 2015, 12:38 PM

The Germans and Russians were not voice acted by actual Germans and Russians.
I´m not too sure about that. I heard the 222 voice actor in an (English voiced) replay and the way he pronounced "Zweihundertzweiundzwanzig" made him sound pretty German. Usually foreigners won´t be able to pronounce that flawlessly. At least he must have had basic knowledge of German.

They sound very bad.
You need to hear the Russians in the German version. :clap:

The biggest annoyance in this game though is the (ger version) voice of the Panzerfüsilier. This guy is trying so hard to have a strong or deep voice that it becomes ridiculous. The voice is so fake it makes you cringe.
7 Jun 2015, 12:43 PM

Relic's voice actors Ja-Ja Binksed the Germans

"Mee-sah germanz, we-sa fight-a war, oh noes, running aways!"

The Germans and Russians were not voice acted by actual Germans and Russians. They sound very bad. (The CoH1 Germans were also not voiced by Germans and made mistakes but still sounded more vibrant than coh2's)

The commanders for OKW and OST sound like old men with dyssentry.

Ost Grens sound awful. "wiz our nu mg forty twooooooooz" They also sound like whiny old men. Why can't they have a bit of punch in their voices like the US riflemen?

Almost every German/Russian word is pronounced incorrectly, eg it should be "rOdina", not "rodIna"

For me the voice-acting is so atrociously bad, it spoils the gameplay.

US sounds great to me though. Soviet commander voice is also not bad.

This is not really a problem. I'm not German and I like nearly all German voice lines. They are supposed to be deutch-sounding, but I can understand your opinion, though. I'm slavic and hearing Stalingrad with 'sh' and not 's' is kinda painful. It's also crazy the Katyusha should be pronounced with 'sh' and they used 's', like they did all mistakes on purpose. So being a German and hearing those grens' or whoever else voices is certainly not pleasant, but not gamebreaking either :)

were limited to rear-echelon duties only

This is why Relic chose rear echelons to be the ones with blacks' voice files :snfCHVGame:

Also, coh1 Wehr announcer was the shit
7 Jun 2015, 13:41 PM

This is not really a problem. I'm not German and I like nearly all German voice lines. They are supposed to be deutch-sounding, but I can understand your opinion, though. I'm slavic and hearing Stalingrad with 'sh' and not 's' is kinda painful. It's also crazy the Katyusha should be pronounced with 'sh' and they used 's', like they did all mistakes on purpose. So being a German and hearing those grens' or whoever else voices is certainly not pleasant, but not gamebreaking either :)

This is why Relic chose rear echelons to be the ones with blacks' voice files :snfCHVGame:

Also, coh1 Wehr announcer was the shit

You're right, it's not gamebreaking :) Although the Russian voices make me want to cry, they were so badly done.

I'm not German either, I just studied it at uni. I still feel my skin crawl when the ost units speak. Even if you ignore the poor pronounciation, you can still hear how they sound like old men or comedy-stereotypes. I wouldn't mind a stereotype if it had a stronger sound.

If you're slavic, what do you think about the Russian voices? I moved to Russia 8 years ago, speak Russian fluently and know how Russians speak English and how awesome they can sound. The voices in CoH2 don't come close to that.
7 Jun 2015, 13:48 PM

Actually the Ostheer announcer is German, and is in fact the same guy who played the general giving that speech to his men in Band of Brothers.

I think it's sad they removed the lines because it made the rear echelon squad a bit more distinct from the riflemen, but on the other hand I can understand why they did it.
7 Jun 2015, 14:03 PM

I´m not too sure about that. I heard the 222 voice actor in an (English voiced) replay and the way he pronounced "Zweihundertzweiundzwanzig" made him sound pretty German. Usually foreigners won´t be able to pronounce that flawlessly. At least he must have had basic knowledge of German.

You need to hear the Russians in the German version. :clap:

The biggest annoyance in this game though is the (ger version) voice of the Panzerfüsilier. This guy is trying so hard to have a strong or deep voice that it becomes ridiculous. The voice is so fake it makes you cringe.

Yes, you're right. The way he says Leichte Panzerspehwagen also sounds like he was German. Could you confirm?

I listened through the German units, couldn't find any definite proof they weren't german, except the Pioneers building T2. I can't make out what they're saying, could you listen and check? It sounds like Dolch Aktionen but that doesn't seem right at all.

Also, what does the HT driver say when you tell him to move? "gut..." I can't make out the rest.

So, I was wrong about the Germans not being german :( I made an assumption based on knowing the Russians weren't Russian and the Germans sounded bad (to my ears at least) Ekh.

Anyway, the Russians weren't Russian and sound lame.
7 Jun 2015, 14:14 PM

Yes, you're right. The way he says Leichte Panzerspehwagen also sounds like he was German. Could you confirm?

I listened through the German units, couldn't find any definite proof they weren't german, except the Pioneers building T2. I can't make out what they're saying, could you listen and check? It sounds like Dolch Aktionen but that doesn't seem right at all.

Also, what does the HT driver say when you tell him to move? "gut..." I can't make out the rest.

I can do that. Though I have the German version and need to watch some replays where those English voice-lines are in. If you gave me a link it would definitely be easier. ;)
7 Jun 2015, 14:26 PM

I can do that. Though I have the German version and need to watch some replays where those English voice-lines are in. If you gave me a link it would definitely be easier. ;)

Thanks, would be great! I can't find any voice-rich replays though :(

Thanks for the correction! I made an assumption and was wrong about ze germanz.

7 Jun 2015, 14:27 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They could've had rear echelons spawn randomly as white or black,regardless if that was actually a thing in real life.

Not like relic cares about realism or authenticity at this point anyway.
7 Jun 2015, 14:29 PM

I'm not German either, I just studied it at uni. I still feel my skin crawl when the ost units speak. Even if you ignore the poor pronounciation, you can still hear how they sound like old men or comedy-stereotypes. I wouldn't mind a stereotype if it had a stronger sound.

If you're slavic, what do you think about the Russian voices? I moved to Russia 8 years ago, speak Russian fluently and know how Russians speak English and how awesome they can sound. The voices in CoH2 don't come close to that.

I hated stereotypical voices when I jumped into coh1 wagon, when transitioned to coh2 it wasn't that much an issue :p

Not Russian, but still soviets being my favorite faction lmao, in my humble opinion the pronunciation (mostly accent, but also including smaller mistakes like those I pointed out before) is mostly really horrible, it's really easy to see that both VA and writers weren't Russian (or, if some of them were, good for them). The accent on 'r', the stereotypical trait of Slavic languages is seen (dat halftrack driver) but, really, I have no more words other than stereotype. Like it's the only word I know :p

Anyway the familiarity of words spoken by soldiers makes me forget about those issues really quick, same with German lines as I've been learning German for some time

inb4 coh2.org not a personal diary
7 Jun 2015, 14:32 PM

Russian voices are typical example of evil soviets from 80-s movies. Others are fine. Ost voices maybe not sounds like real Germans but have a lot of funny speech lines. And what's wrong with OKW guy? His voice sounds like an old general.
7 Jun 2015, 14:36 PM

Russian voices are typical example of evil soviets from 80-s movies. Others are fine. Ost voices maybe not sounded like real Germans but very have a lot of funny speech lines. And what's wrong with OKW guy? His voices sound like an old general.

You mean OKW announcer? He sounds like someone once described him, an evil doctor/villain from a cartoon.
7 Jun 2015, 14:39 PM

You mean OKW announcer? He sounds like someone once described him, an evil doctor/villain from a cartoon.
Yeah, I was talking about him. But he sounds like a real SS general I think.
7 Jun 2015, 14:45 PM

Yeah, I was talking about him. But he sounds like a real SS general I think.

Normal SS elite troops announcer would be IMO more calm, while SS death squads announcer, well, I don't imply anything

And while in this topic, as a slav I can confirm soviet atrocities seen in campaign aren't just an imagination :mellow: i've seen many 'murricans believing such things didn't happen and its just propaganda, well, archives in my country on the other side of iron curtain tell otherwise
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS