Login

russian armor

Windows 10, anyone?

PAGES (7)down
30 Jul 2015, 16:26 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I'm still on Windows 7 and all I gotta say is that I'm watching this thread closely. I don't plan to upgrade any time soon, but I think I will before the "free window" runs out. Pls keep posting your observations! They're very helpful. :thumb:
30 Jul 2015, 17:05 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

using windows 8.1 and not sure if to update or not.
30 Jul 2015, 17:11 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I'd pretty much never recommend doing an in-place upgrade of any OS. If you want to move I'd do a clean install.
30 Jul 2015, 17:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 17:05 PMSpanky
using windows 8.1 and not sure if to update or not.

I'd recommend waiting a year before doing so. That way all the bugs/driver errors/or other broken updates can be resolved via the guinnea pigs trying out Win10 the first couple months. :D
30 Jul 2015, 18:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 14:54 PMBudwise
I clean installed Windows 10 Pro, COH2 plays just the same as before but overall its a large step forward from Windows 8.

8 is a total failure. <444>_<444>

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 17:13 PMVonIvan

I'd recommend waiting a year before doing so. That way all the bugs/driver errors/or other broken updates can be resolved via the guinnea pigs trying out Win10 the first couple months. :D

At least now, all my stuff can be used normally, no bugs, no driver errors. :)
30 Jul 2015, 23:46 PM
Donator 11

No problems with Win10 so far...

but yeah you probably need to reinstall some drivers and coh2 if you go for that upgrade function
30 Jul 2015, 23:56 PM
Donator 11

i love it. and damn i even switched from chrome to edge :sibHyena:
31 Jul 2015, 04:04 AM

Since some people use ad-block and Microsoft edge doesn't have extension support yet, I'm going to leave this here for those who want a workaround: link
31 Jul 2015, 06:34 AM

Yep been working with Win 10 for 2 days now. I did upgrade install so did not use install media and I selected the option to keep my own personal files.

I lost all my programs (and drivers) but after installing chrome, teamspeak and few drivers I was about good to go. :D

I want to emphasize that I've had 0 problems so far (maybe I'm lucky guinea pig). You might want to check the privacy settings, they're horrible. By default you basically agree to everything.

I had steam on different drive and I just launched steam.exe and set from the settings to run it again every time windows started and everything worked as should. All games started right away and as I said - I even got small fps boost. And OS starts even faster than 7.

If you do have keyboard / mouse settings you do want to keep and they are on your C drive, make sure to backup them. The installation was a bit unclear what is removed.

Edge seems quite fast and cool browser and with the ad-block workaround I might give it a better chance but so far I just thought that I'm perfectly satisfied with Chrome, so why would I change it.

Maybe one thing to mention for me atleast was that I had my Win 7 with eng. installation. By default 10 installed based on my location (?) since the upgrade changed it to Finnish. But it's easy to change it back to English afterwards.
31 Jul 2015, 09:49 AM
Honorary Member Badge

was at the hardware store today. looks like they're on to me. :faint:
31 Jul 2015, 10:16 AM

Windows 10 enterprise is good. Works fast, lets you stop the horrible auto updates and lets you postpone new features and abilities for several months, so you don't get flooded with stuff you don't want. Because it is a 'big company' version, you can pretty much change anything you don't want and shut down or even delete certain stock programs that would rustle the jimmies of other programs. :megusta:

The new browser is nice, yet it doesn't support any kind of AdBlock capabilities, so I will stick with Chrome for the time being. Another shortcomming is the fact that you can't select the certain auto updates you do want and don't want, neither does Windows 10 show you a list in which you can select or deselect updates. Surely they will add this later.

Game wise it is on par with windows 8.1, we don't have Direct X 12 graphics cards yet, so it wouldn't be any different unless some games make huge improvements via patching with windows 10. Nvidia has released a WHQL for windows 10, but it still hasn't solved the Chrome crashes and Batman Arkham Knight runs even worse on Windows 10. Gefore Experience is still bugged since 350.12, all overclock programs run smooth on Windows 10, I have tested the standard ones. Steam works fine, GOG Galaxy works fine (you can change the client to Windows 10 compatibility), Origin well we all know xd. Haven't noticed any fps boosts nor dips in Coh 2, which still riddled with memory leaks :foreveralone:

If you insist on getting it, get either the Pro or Enterprise version since they let you tweak a lot more. Now if you don't have the certain pre-windows 10 version that you need to get the Pro or Enterprise versions, you can of course get these versions for free as well. Naturally getting it activated is not so hard as well. The stories about getting watermarked and getting volume registration keys is not true, these people updated from a insider version, which is pre release. Any version of Windows 10 gets activated via 'suspicious' ways. How this will turn out when Windows 10 goes behind a pay wall after the free year has expired, we can only guess.

If you want to wait and see how it turns out, understandable. If you do go for Windows 10, just make sure you keep a backup of your previous windows version on some sort of medium just to be sure. I have done this myself, I will never forget the Windows Vista launch :foreveralone:

Edit: Do a clean install if you want to get it via 'suspicious ways', otherwise it won't work duhh.
31 Jul 2015, 10:42 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2015, 06:34 AMFlamee

I lost all my programs (and drivers) but after installing chrome, teamspeak and few drivers I was about good to go. :D

what do you mean? it stayed absolutely the same for me as it was on 8.1. i didnt have to reinstall anything.
31 Jul 2015, 10:53 AM
Benefactor 392

idk why people are so hyped up about the whole win 10, like all software programs, and i mean all software, games included, it won't run properly until later in it's release, personally if you want to buy a new OS that has recently been released, the best time to actually get it is probably 1 to 1 and a half years, otherwise you are going to do what you all do and bitch about how broken your spanking new software is
8 Aug 2015, 13:45 PM

Interesting note: My dear old mother (64 counts as old i guess) bought a new PC on the 29th. I helped her set it up. And she got the question when configuring if she wanted to update. Old lady hit yes.
Anyway she seems really happy with it and she thinks its really good.
The lack of family related tech-support calls to me confirms she isn't just being nice.
It seems to me that this OS is more intuitive atleast to her than Win 8 would have been.

8 Aug 2015, 14:06 PM

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

Food for thought.

I'm a big advocate for privacy, which is another major reason I've begun supporting Apple.

Anyways, I dunno if I said it in this thread or not but if you do want to move to win10, wait at least a year.
8 Aug 2015, 14:33 PM

If you don't care about your privacy or ads go ahead downgrade to W10.

After install you got 30 days to upgrade back to W7/8.

DX12 maybe in 5 years will be relevant.
8 Aug 2015, 14:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2015, 14:33 PMWhoa
If you don't care about your privacy or ads go ahead downgrade to W10.

After install you got 30 days to upgrade back to W7/8.

DX12 maybe in 5 years will be relevant.

Yeah, I don't care, because in my rig Windows is just for gaming. I go back to OSX when working.
8 Aug 2015, 15:30 PM

Yeah, I don't care, because in my rig Windows is just for gaming. I go back to OSX when working.

Cool, then give me your:

quote from Microsoft's privacy policy:

".. we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)... but we may refer the matter to law enforcement...
8 Aug 2015, 15:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2015, 22:33 PMCieZ

Microsoft patches once per month and there's no reason ever to skip a security update. Unless you're dumb.

What if i told you...

It's not smart installing updates without reading what they actually do.

Example latest updates for w7/8 install W10 ads, and tracking processes. /just google it..
8 Aug 2015, 19:03 PM

Privacy stuff

Use this on your hosts file: http://pastebin.com/QuSnR3sk
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak