Login

russian armor

Windows 10, anyone?

PAGES (7)down
2 Jun 2015, 14:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I've got Windows 8.1 on my desktop and yesterday I got the message saying I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Has anyone already updated to Windows 10 and, if so, what are your first impressions? Does COH2 work? How about other programs?
Windows 8.1 is dumb, but it hasn't given me any problems and I am reluctant to wake the sleeping dog.
2 Jun 2015, 15:30 PM
Donator 11

If you would read the whole message you would know that it will be available for download on july 27 :welcome:
2 Jun 2015, 15:31 PM
Donator 33

Windows 10 will be released in July AFAIK.
2 Jun 2015, 15:33 PM

2 Jun 2015, 15:35 PM
Patrion 15

July 29.

But, I have used the Developer Preview and I've got to say that I really like it.

It really is much better than both Windows 8 and 8.1 and offers a substancial improvement over Windows 7 now; I personally noticed a decent performance increase over Windows 8 on the laptop I installed it on.

Plus, the start bar is back and that means I might even use it on my main desktop.
2 Jun 2015, 15:48 PM

Maybe Windos 8.1 sucks but with a bit configuration it´s okay.

And NEVER forget: NEVER change a running system!!!! :mellow:
2 Jun 2015, 15:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

If you would read the whole message you would know that it will be available for download on july 27 :wub:

Forgiveness, please :snfPeter: My brain is fried from trying to make presentations about liquid chromatography these days. Anyway, it's bound to come up for discussion.
2 Jun 2015, 15:55 PM
Patrion 14

Forgiveness, please :snfPeter: My brain is fried from trying to make presentations about liquid chromatography these days. Anyway, it's bound to come up for discussion.

there's already an existing thread around here somewhere :D
2 Jun 2015, 16:31 PM

It really is a trap. Its a "free licence" for one year, after that you will have to buy it. LEL

btw: Does anyone know how to get rid of they notification thing in the bar, its really enoying
2 Jun 2015, 16:36 PM

It really is a trap. Its a "free licence" for one year, after that you will have to buy it. LEL

btw: Does anyone know how to get rid of they notification thing in the bar, its really enoying

Yeah here is a link :P
2 Jun 2015, 17:16 PM

WRONG.
As an IT guy related to Microsoft if anyone has any legit questions about the Win10 upgrade process inbox me or reply to this post.
First and foremost, once you upgrade to Win10 in the 1 year time span(July 29 2k15-July 29 2k16) it will forever be yours.
Will Windows 10 expire?
I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? Alasdair

No, that’s completely wrong. Once you have installed Windows 10 and made a note of your product key, it’s yours forever. Well, you can use it until Microsoft stops supporting it, which is usually 10 years.
Here's a legit source if anyone doubts me(lel): http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/may/28/five-questions-about-free-upgrade-microsoft-windows-10

Alright now onto to Win10 itself. Some people ask themselves: Is Windows 10 an awesome OS like XP? What are the perks and cons of Win10? Why am I so confused? Glad you asked. Let me un-confuse you all. :foreveralone:

Perks:
  • It has a start menu.
  • Boot up and startup times are reduced(on decent PCs ofc)
  • Increased Performance ratio overall for all desktop applications
  • The ability to have a more advanced virtual desktop than before(i.e. easier to access and use)
  • The freedom to choose what preferences you want(i.e. no more forced tablet non-sense like in Win8, apps can be disabled with more ease)
  • You pay no money for a $120 OS.
  • If you decide you don’t like Windows 10 for some reason, you will be able to revert to your earlier operating system.
  • Bill Gates will always love your family for purchasing Microsoft products
  • You will most likely be given an online CD key in case you need to re-image your PC with win10. :foreveralone:
    Cons:
  • At the moment sadly, from what my OS department tells me Win10 Home Users will have forced updates which are downloaded and installed autmoatically(prepare yourselves for that update wait time :foreveralone: ) that are basically impossible to disable without removing advanced functions within windows. Win10 Pr0 and Ultimate being used allows you to disable updates though.
  • Before where you could just use a local account to log into Windows, you now need a User Profile account which had to be connected to Microsoft when created to login now. :foreveralone:
  • If you have Windows Vista, Windows XP, or anything older, you’ll have to buy Windows 10 and install it from scratch.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software (Microsoft has said before that a future update will add this functionality back “later this year”).
  • If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come preinstalled on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. That said, new versions Microsoft Solitaire Collection and Microsoft Minesweeper will be installed.
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.
  • Win10 doesn't bake you cookies for free. :foreveralone:
    Here's a nice summary video:

Would I recommend it personally?
2 Jun 2015, 17:33 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

You will most likely be given an online CD key in case you need to re-image your PC with win10.

My main concern is whether or not the Windows 10 upgrade is going to be tied to the device holding the old Win7 / 8.1 license. Meaning if you'd like to move your upgraded Win10 license to a new device, would you be able to do so.

Since Win10 is going to be "the last version of Windows", how free this upgrade is actually going be?
Forced upgrades certainly do sound scary. Recent updates for Win7 and 8/8.1 haven't exactly been smooth..
2 Jun 2015, 17:46 PM

Well I would suspect that should tie in to whether or not you have an OEM license or a standalone one.

With hardcore gamers and professional users often changing hardware at a whim I would suspect they have thought of the implications of moving the license to another device and created some means for this to work.
Since that is often what the Software Licensing interprets a renewed hardware.

that being said MS screws up plenty of times. (and sometimes not but users think it is messy.)
2 Jun 2015, 17:48 PM

My main concern is whether or not the Windows 10 upgrade is going to be tied to the device holding the old Win7 / 8.1 license. Meaning if you'd like to move your upgraded Win10 license to a new device, would you be able to do so.

Since Win10 is going to be "the last version of Windows", how free this upgrade is actually going be?
Forced upgrades certainly do sound scary. Recent updates for Win7 and 8/8.1 haven't exactly been smooth..

It will only be tied to the device holding the old license. A key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed: It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative has told me. So, attempting to move the upgraded win10 license to a new device will be pretty much impossible, unless you have the same hard drive. :foreveralone:

Well for now the upgrade is entirely free and it is 100% possible to revert back to a previous version of Windows if you want. Sadly, the forced upgrades part is still in "debate mode" over here at the office. For now though it is currently set to forced upgrades, though obviously some will be limited when Microsoft most likely rolls out newer versions of their "final version" for Windows in the coming years. I am hoping this will change once consumer feedback/HR department calls reveal how much of a bad idea this is. I voted against it personally :foreveralone:
2 Jun 2015, 18:02 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Well for now the upgrade is entirely free and it is 100% possible to revert back to a previous version of Windows if you want. Sadly, the forced upgrades part is still in "debate mode" over here at the office. For now though it is currently set to forced upgrades, though obviously some will be limited when Microsoft most likely rolls out newer versions of their "final version" for Windows in the coming years. I am hoping this will change once consumer feedback/HR department calls reveal how much of a bad idea this is. I voted against it personally :foreveralone:

>> Forced upgrades
>> Update breaks your Windows, Windows fails to load at boot
>> Forced to use a month old System Restore point
>> Apply the same update again
>> Broken again
>> Fuck this shit

My Win8 experience, hopefully not a future Win10 tale.
Happened while trying to install the necessary updates for 8.1 upgrade. Ended up re-installing Win8, installed all updates in a row and about a dozen of restarts later 8.1. was finally available. Updates being forced doesn't really leave room for errors. Even one faulty, forced upgrade is going to make people mad.
2 Jun 2015, 18:04 PM

As an IT professional certified in security I wouldn't consider XP to be a good OS. I also wouldn't upgrade to windows 10 for a few years. Stick with 7 until 10 has been patched to be stable and secure.

Oh and don't use windows for anything other than gaming. Windows sucks and I know the vast majority of people don't keep up with it properly.
2 Jun 2015, 18:05 PM

Vonivan confirmed for microsoft fanboy :snfPeter:
2 Jun 2015, 18:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jun 2015, 18:05 PMBurts
Vonivan confirmed for microsoft fanboy :snfPeter:

Yes, such a fanboy that I list all the cons for Win10 and explain how Win10 has some "features" I disapprove of. I will also be sticking with Win8.1 for a while.(I haven't really updated anything via windows update unless it's super important for me personally or it concerns a crucial security update. :foreveralone: )

I also referred to the functionality of XP for the overall user experience(still the most popular OS of all time from what I hear), not for the security that it lacks due to being outdated, sadly. :foreveralone:
2 Jun 2015, 18:39 PM
Donator 11

cons:
  • If you have Windows Vista, Windows XP, or anything older, you’ll have to [... ]install it from scratch.

to be honest, thats a not a con, but a pro :D
i try to install windows at least every 2 years, otherwise it will be unbearably slow
2 Jun 2015, 18:50 PM

"free" isn´t realy "free" considering the annoyance a freshly released operatingsystem can cause... Remebering how hyped my friends were as they purchased new rigs with vista "Ooooh vista is soooo much better then xp" 1 day after setting up the new rigs started installing xp again :rofl:

I will stay on win7pro, even when I get my new hardware.

There is realy no reason for me to upgrade aslong as win7 is still supported. Sure it´s getting old, but it gets the job done and thats what i expect from an os.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 28
unknown 0

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak