Login

russian armor

Going about the early game

26 May 2015, 03:07 AM
Patrion 27

First, I want to apologize in advance if this is a question that has been repeated multiple times. I looked around and couldn't find anything recently, so I made a thread.

With that out of the way, on to my questions. Sadly, I have no replays on hand that I can link here for specific analysis. this is more of a general problem. so if anyone wanted to get a general idea of my skill level/ability, here is my player card:
http://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198031861039

I understand Ostheer is pretty weak in the early game, and I am a bit undecisive/confused about what would be the best method to survive the early game and set myself up for a good mid game.

1. Capping order

I understand as Ost you really want to make sure you hold at least one fuel/muni point, but my question pertains more to HOW you go about capping. Do you use your precious grenadiers to cap points? or do you keep them together to support each other and defend your fuel/muni/cutoff/HMG early and just let your pio do the capping. I've experimented with several different ways to go about doing this but I can't tell what is more efficient.

2. Engagements

Another thing I really struggle with, not just with Ostheer but all factions in the early game, is determining when/where and how long to stay around in the first few opening engagements. often I feel I stick around in fights that I have no reason or ability to win, and it cost me in heavy MP bleed. If this question is a bit confusing, basically what I'm asking is when is it better to soft retreat and give ground/lose maybe one model rather than just full on retreating.
29 May 2015, 15:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Sorry for late response.
jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2015, 03:07 AMLumpy
First, I want to apologize in advance if this is a question that has been repeated multiple times. I looked around and couldn't find anything recently, so I made a thread.

With that out of the way, on to my questions. Sadly, I have no replays on hand that I can link here for specific analysis. this is more of a general problem. so if anyone wanted to get a general idea of my skill level/ability, here is my player card:
http://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198031861039

I understand Ostheer is pretty weak in the early game, and I am a bit undecisive/confused about what would be the best method to survive the early game and set myself up for a good mid game.

1. Capping order

I understand as Ost you really want to make sure you hold at least one fuel/muni point, but my question pertains more to HOW you go about capping. Do you use your precious grenadiers to cap points? or do you keep them together to support each other and defend your fuel/muni/cutoff/HMG early and just let your pio do the capping. I've experimented with several different ways to go about doing this but I can't tell what is more efficient.

capping order really depends on the faction you're fighting against and the map.. If it's USF on Kharkov you'll probably want your pio nearby to spot for and assist your MG... If it's soviets on Langreskaya you'll probably want the pio capping the fuel and a gren pair capping the cutoffand munitions.. Really depends.

2. Engagements

Another thing I really struggle with, not just with Ostheer but all factions in the early game, is determining when/where and how long to stay around in the first few opening engagements. often I feel I stick around in fights that I have no reason or ability to win, and it cost me in heavy MP bleed. If this question is a bit confusing, basically what I'm asking is when is it better to soft retreat and give ground/lose maybe one model rather than just full on retreating.
soft retreat if you have an MG,or reinforce point nearby...
And get the hell out of there ASAP if you feel you can't win or monitor engagement.

30 May 2015, 01:09 AM
Patrion 27

thanks for the reply cookiez.

I was kinda hesitant to make this thread, since I realize so much depends on map, match up, etc.

I'm starting to get a better feel for engagements that I can and can't win, and I've noticed I'm winning a lot more engagements early on than I used to. I still make some pretty bonehead decisions when I go back and watch the replays after the game, but I'm working on ironing those out haha.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★