Login

russian armor

On the Impact of Team Play - what do you focus on?

23 May 2015, 12:47 PM
Donator 22

The following might be familiar to you:
You play a 2v2 and things do not go well. You play ok, your mate is ok, but the game drags on and on ¬- and you slowly lose map control and things start to deteriorate noticeably.
Then, after 35min of so-so gameplay, you have one coordinated and well timed attack that really eliminates a few enemy squads and tanks. And the game shifts. Finally.

Examples

Experiences like that made me think about the effect of coordinated attacks and team play in general.
  • Some things like "attacking Wehrmacht tank army with your own tanks while using mark target and Airborne rocket strafe" are fairly obvious and easy to pull off. Nevertheless you need to talk about it.
  • Other things are harder to pull off, some seem too difficult to ever be successful.
    For me that was always the case when I tried to defend my mates AT gun with an MG of mine. Just too micro intensive if the AT gun is on the other side of the map, on the opposite site of my own battles

That made search in those two directions for the best team efforts:
  • How hard is it to pull off?
  • How big is the effect?

Sketched out this looks like this:

In the end I come to a list of things we try to focus on in communication for 2v2 or 3v3 games.

a possible list

• Jointly decide on commander selection and army selection
  • Decide on the first point on the map to really push together
  • Inform others about available abilities, e.g. Rocket Strafe available is someone needs it
  • Wait together in the game and talk, decide on a target and timing for an attack
    (This simple "waiting" seems the hardest and most precious skill to me)

• Talk about major unit decisions, like heavy tanks, AT capabilities

My question

And one thing I rarely saw discussed in the forum: Select on person in the team as a commander. The commander gives some orders every few minutes in game like when and where to attack. 85% of orders need to be followed no matter what.
I find that horribly effective. Do you do that?

What I wonder is: what are the things you talk about in game, that really make the difference for team games? For you?

23 May 2015, 21:57 PM

Great overview Gunther09! To command in a 2v2 is ok, still lots of stress for the guy giving commands. In 4v4 it is useless, rather a split in 2 Groups with possible interactions seem feasible.

What I miss in the list is positive Feedback, since in situations in which you are frustrated due to squad loss etc, it is helpful to hear that the Partner is rocking big style.
The hardest, most mind itching command is "wait"; however, often pulls off great assaults and flanks. Looking Forward to reading some other opionions here. Or do pro Gamers just not Need to talk in 2v2/3v3 anyway?
23 May 2015, 23:40 PM

An important part of the teamplay in our team is the unspoken law, that if one sees a weakness of the enemy/opportunity and goes in, we do not question it but move in with him to maximize damage or minimize his losses.
24 May 2015, 17:35 PM

Great law, but how do u guarantee that you do not arrive to late at the site of carnage? Otherwise waves after waves run into their true death.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★