Login

russian armor

OKW advice

22 May 2015, 18:03 PM

Permanently Banned
Hello there,

I have been having trouble whilst playing OKW. I just can't hold teritory, let alone keep some kind of balanced field presence. The only thing I can basically do is spam infantry, since I always float manpower as OKW and aim for a panther.

Kubels don't cut it and flackhalftracks always dies, no matter your micro, eventually it will die. Is there more to this faction than spamming infantry and aiming for some tanks, because this just won't cut it when trying to hold ground.

I know there is a doctrine with a mg34, but I don't want to play that doctrine every game just to have an mg..

Help would be very nice!
22 May 2015, 18:29 PM
Donator 11

Panther is not a good choice right now. If you stall for it you will loose before it gets out against same skill oponent. It's better to prioritize muni instead and get some fusilliers, shrecks and jpzer or play flak ht + shrecks into command panther (that is cheaper as you don't need flak truck). The first strategy is better vs usf as they have their tanks earlier and their infantry is more scary. The second one is anti callin one. Mind that one panther cannot kill double 85s or IS-2 alone so it will probably need shreck or raketenwerfer support. It's also wise to place some mines on the roads to be prepared for first callin push.
22 May 2015, 20:01 PM

A lot of OKW's early game depends on effective Sturmpioneer use. Using shot/LOS blockers to your advantage to keep them alive and maximize their close range effectiveness is key. Any smart player is going to focus on the Sturmpioneers over Volks, and you can use this to your advantage. Once your opponent starts focus firing your sturms, try to duck them behind a LOS/Shot blocker. Enemy infantry will all jump out of cover and start closing the distance to try and reveal your sturms. If you opponent is wise to this, they will stop focus firing, which can be your cue to move those SPs back in.

If you have a volks squad at long range, you can use this dance to whittle down your opponent.

Also, many OKW players have gotten into the habit of using kubels offensively, which was extremely effective before being patched. They really have to be used defensively these days, except for maybe an all-out rush on a fuel point in the first moments of the game.

But losing the manpower spent on the kubel is usually not worth delaying a fuel point most times, especially since all non-muni points give fuel income. Trying to deny a fuel specific point is hardly as effective a tactic in CoH2 as it was in vCoH.
22 May 2015, 20:56 PM

Permanently Banned
Panther is not a good choice right now. If you stall for it you will loose before it gets out against same skill oponent. It's better to prioritize muni instead and get some fusilliers, shrecks and jpzer or play flak ht + shrecks into command panther (that is cheaper as you don't need flak truck). The first strategy is better vs usf as they have their tanks earlier and their infantry is more scary. The second one is anti callin one. Mind that one panther cannot kill double 85s or IS-2 alone so it will probably need shreck or raketenwerfer support. It's also wise to place some mines on the roads to be prepared for first callin push.

Good strategies! Thank you for your advice, I will use these tactics with much anticipation!
22 May 2015, 20:57 PM

Permanently Banned
A lot of OKW's early game depends on effective Sturmpioneer use. Using shot/LOS blockers to your advantage to keep them alive and maximize their close range effectiveness is key. Any smart player is going to focus on the Sturmpioneers over Volks, and you can use this to your advantage. Once your opponent starts focus firing your sturms, try to duck them behind a LOS/Shot blocker. Enemy infantry will all jump out of cover and start closing the distance to try and reveal your sturms. If you opponent is wise to this, they will stop focus firing, which can be your cue to move those SPs back in.

If you have a volks squad at long range, you can use this dance to whittle down your opponent.

Also, many OKW players have gotten into the habit of using kubels offensively, which was extremely effective before being patched. They really have to be used defensively these days, except for maybe an all-out rush on a fuel point in the first moments of the game.

But losing the manpower spent on the kubel is usually not worth delaying a fuel point most times, especially since all non-muni points give fuel income. Trying to deny a fuel specific point is hardly as effective a tactic in CoH2 as it was in vCoH.

That tactic sounds effective, thank you!
22 May 2015, 21:38 PM

I disagree and say that mechreg works really well against the USF. Defensive doctrine for pak43's and mg34s complement pumas and flakhts very nicely and with micro they can counter anything thrown at them, light vehicle or infantry, considering the lack of indirect fire be careful of armor or recon company; however, it may be better to get a jp4 against those commanders as the pak43 will be very vulnerable to some of the best offmap
22 May 2015, 22:12 PM

Permanently Banned
I though rushing panther as okw wasn't all to bad seeing as you can get one out at around 16-17 minutes. Do some kiting and some baiting. The only thing that will really stop you it if you are out microed by two t34s or easy 8s. But you better have something prepared for dual is2. Thats pretty brutal to fight.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Peru 16
unknown 24
unknown 8
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %