Login

russian armor

Squad Spacing

23 May 2015, 09:01 AM

that means we'll revert to what it was before, where cons couldnt fit into a piece of green cover so they would always get suppressed from mg42s cause one model was always sticking out.

well i'd hope not necessarily. 'cos that weren't fun either. as katitof said, hadn't cruzz, and i'm sure some other moders whom i'm sure i'm short shrifting atm come up with other, more innovative solutions?

and again, before i look forward, i want to address the original question again, why did relic change things?
28 May 2015, 21:06 PM

well i'd hope not necessarily. 'cos that weren't fun either. as katitof said, hadn't cruzz, and i'm sure some other moders whom i'm sure i'm short shrifting atm come up with other, more innovative solutions?

and again, before i look forward, i want to address the original question again, why did relic change things?

You forget how annoying squads getting pinned constantly when in green cover was. You had to carefully space your squad just perfect otherwise they would get pinned. Also the models would ignore your direction and jump out of cover the whole time. You would have to click a few times for them to get in cover and waste time.

People complained about it a lot back then which drove Relic to fix it.
29 May 2015, 01:03 AM

You forget how annoying squads getting pinned constantly when in green cover was. You had to carefully space your squad just perfect otherwise they would get pinned. Also the models would ignore your direction and jump out of cover the whole time. You would have to click a few times for them to get in cover and waste time.

People complained about it a lot back then which drove Relic to fix it.

i had more control over it, it demanded less attention, and it wasn't as catastrophic imo as the squad wipe syndrome we have now. like, an annoyance compared to considerable losses.

also, bearing in mind this was during a time when you could build 2 MG's + Sniper into PiV... so, i wonder how that model would play out with the way MG's work at the moment. i suspect it would be a lot less extreme.
29 May 2015, 02:39 AM

Huh! I'd figured the spacing issue was more clear cut.
Thanks for revealing things, Bob.
So, how about keeping mortars consistent at bleeding, yet far less consistent at wiping, at the same time as having easy cover usage?
How could this be done? Reduce AoE and scatter?

Edit: I figured it out. Let us scatter the models more when we face direction, by pulling further away from the origin point. I'm fairly confident this functionality would be relatively easy to make.
29 May 2015, 03:11 AM
Patrion 28

decrease >80 damage aoe area and increase the ~~40 damage area; more bleed, less wipe.
29 May 2015, 12:34 PM

decrease >80 damage aoe area and increase the ~~40 damage area; more bleed, less wipe.

Already done for several units (120mm mortar included). Didn't helped much.
29 May 2015, 13:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2015, 14:50 PMSwonVIP
Dont understand why Relic doesnt work together with modders/community.
It would make things so much easier.

Because that means they would look inferior and not worth their pay in their eyes. Kappa
29 May 2015, 14:50 PM
Donator 33

More consistent damage? Easy.

Reduce max damage for indirect fire to values <80 but increase their AoE. No more wipes, more consistent damage.
29 May 2015, 15:18 PM

Already done for several units (120mm mortar included). Didn't helped much.

The adjusted them by fractions of a percent in the case of the mortar carrier and I think around just 11% in the case of the 120.

29 May 2015, 15:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2015, 14:50 PMSwonVIP
Dont understand why Relic doesnt work together with modders/community.
It would make things so much easier.

You'd be surprised how much relic actually works with the community.
29 May 2015, 15:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2015, 15:18 PMSchewi

You'd be surprised how much relic actually works with the community.

I wouldn't call 40 players with majority of them not being really good a "community" :snfBarton:
29 May 2015, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2015, 15:24 PMKatitof

I wouldn't call 40 players with majority of them not being really good a "community" :snfBarton:

Are you insulting an Alpha that you are in.

All testing needs a rainbow. It's more important stuff is idiot proof than "able to be used by top tier players".

Also you need fanboys to ensure the forums have discussion, since they are the only one's with the balls willing to discuss something.
29 May 2015, 17:12 PM

Are you insulting an Alpha that you are in.

All testing needs a rainbow. It's more important stuff is idiot proof than "able to be used by top tier players".

Also you need fanboys to ensure the forums have discussion, since they are the only one's with the balls willing to discuss something.

No, I'm insulting the small, closed group that is in inner circle.
Stuff that they have access too and we don't, like you know, war effort map and bulletins.

If you can call that an insult. :loco:
29 May 2015, 17:13 PM

It's getting tiring seeing the same few people bicker endlessly at each other in lieu of actual conversation or sharing of information.

The useful posts are always lost in this kinda mess.
29 May 2015, 17:32 PM
Donator 33

Invis days have gone on long enough, bring out the ban hammer.

On topic, we could have squad spacing proportional to the amount of cover. When you click green they bunch. When you a-move across open ground they spread. It'd be a bit of work but Relic has pulled off far greater things :D
29 May 2015, 19:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2015, 17:12 PMKatitof

No, I'm insulting the small, closed group that is in inner circle.
Stuff that they have access too and we don't, like you know, war effort map and bulletins.

If you can call that an insult. :loco:

The inner testing group A. Probably does not test nearly as much as we think and B. Probably only test certain things Relic specifically want tested.

More people equals more fights equals more balance and bug fixes. Relic has learned this from the recent [NDA intensifies], having a small group for focused testing isn't a bad idea per say but it's hard to tell if the testing is happening or just being done badly in the "closed" stuff when we have maps that make it to release like Sittard were concrete bridges are actually wood or Wolfs Lair were an entire army literally cannot play if they get put on one side of the map.

30 May 2015, 00:24 AM

my poor thread :(
30 May 2015, 00:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

my poor thread :(
:(

(He's actually sleeping but he looks kinda annoyed to me, right?)
30 May 2015, 01:04 AM

Katitof and Alex should probably stop trying to talk about things that they literally have zero clue about so this thread can get back on topic.

As far as I can remember, Relic adjusted the cover seeking behavior because players incessantly complained about how "out of control" they felt when it came to giving their squads precise orders. As others have stated, models would randomly decide that it was better to stand on the red cover road rather than behind the stone wall you ordered them into, thus suppressing the entire squad, or causing unnecessary bleed.

Overall the new squad cover behavior is a good thing, however a few squads need to be able to spread out slightly more when walking/outside of cover. For example, Obers have a very solid spread resulting in them rarely being wiped at full hp/full models from things like: ISU shots, 120mm shots, HE Shermans, etc. Compare that to the default squad formation of Falls, who really like to bunch up constantly. Lot's of death and frustration ensues as a result of that.

As far as mortars go, the 120mm is the only culprit in terms of frequently one-shotting squads, unless you consider the Scott a "mortar" since it sort of acts like one... kinda. Anyways, reducing the damage of the 120mm would be the best solution to preventing wipes in my opinion. Alternatively the AoE in which 80 damage is dealt could be reduced further. They both basically accomplish the same thing, but in different ways.

Oh and precision strike. That crap is stupid.
30 May 2015, 01:54 AM
Patrion 14

that means we'll revert to what it was before, where cons couldnt fit into a piece of green cover so they would always get suppressed from mg42s cause one model was always sticking out.

This actually doesn't have to be true at all. It was hypothesized by Cruzz several months ago that it would be possible to spread squads when they were not in cover/ on the move, and have them use the current cover mechanics when needed. That Hypothesis was tested and proven correct by several modders since then.

We can have our cake and eat it too. It all depends on whether or not Relic wants to implement the change (step one would be to let them know the fix is possible).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 46
Germany 26
Germany 45
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %