Login

russian armor

Squad Spacing

22 May 2015, 10:00 AM

What was the rationale for the changes made to squad spacing? As far as I can remember the changes seemed to be made with the release of the WFA, despite personally never thinking squad ai was ever really an issue, up until this point... I guess it's sorta cool that paras move in a triangle, but... well I don't need to go into the downsides. I would have prioritized vehicle pathing.

I was just wondering if Relic in patch notes, or what have you, ever explained why this was a change they felt they needed to implement and what they were trying to accomplish with it. Or was it simply an oops? I don't know.
22 May 2015, 10:04 AM

What was the rationale for the changes made to squad spacing? As far as I can remember the changes seemed to be made with the release of the WFA, despite personally never thinking squad ai was ever really an issue, up until this point... I guess it's sorta cool that paras move in a triangle, but... well I don't need to go into the downsides. I would have prioritized vehicle pathing.

I was just wondering if Relic in patch notes, or what have you, ever explained why this was a change they felt they needed to implement and what they were trying to accomplish with it. Or was it simply an oops? I don't know.

It's a side effect of making infantry squads hug cover.
22 May 2015, 13:53 PM

It's a side effect of making infantry squads hug cover.

And yet paras and penals are able to hug cover well and be spaced out when moving.

Modders have fixed that with simple changes as well.

And relic is unable to "because it will break current cover seeking".

Reason of squad wiping can be solved in 5 minutes by a modder and therefore by relic themselves if they are willing to.

Instead, both community and relic goes the way of overnerfing all AoE weapons.

#reliclogic
22 May 2015, 14:50 PM
Donator 11

Dont understand why Relic doesnt work together with modders/community.
It would make things so much easier.
22 May 2015, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2015, 14:50 PMSwonVIP
Dont understand why Relic doesnt work together with modders/community.
It would make things so much easier.

Probably, the thinking in their minds is that if they were to recognise modders in a developmental sense, then the community would ask: "why do we need developers at all?" (which is nonsense)
22 May 2015, 17:43 PM
Patrion 14

Cover and squad formations have nothing to do with eachother I think. Cover is about the amount of slots it has. So a 2 man cover slot can provide cover for 2 models.

I made a mod once and spreaded on the squads a bit. Results were sweet.
Squads were spreaded out, cover system still worked good.
22 May 2015, 21:28 PM

Okay so although they aren't mutually exclusive I've definitely lost squads in cover and on the move. Which mechanism is at fault, and how can it be fixed?
23 May 2015, 00:05 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Okay so although they aren't mutually exclusive I've definitely lost squads in cover and on the move. Which mechanism is at fault, and how can it be fixed?

1-If you lose a unit by standing on cover, that's your fault. You are the one who choose how they want your troops to stand by.
Yellow cover > no damage mitigation
Green cover > 50% damage mitigation if position well > you can't get 1 shot by mortars or nades

2-Squad spacing on the move is crap on several squads. Period. THIS needs fixing.

2.1-Squad moving around during mid-late game crossing through yellow cover generated by explosion needs fixing

23 May 2015, 00:34 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

2-Squad spacing on the move is crap on several squads. Period. THIS needs fixing.
It causes me physical pain to watch two or three guys in a given squad phase into each other as they walk about capping.
23 May 2015, 00:37 AM

Too hard--the'd have to rebalance all the AoE weapons. They'd rather just balance the AoE weapons in the current model. Kappa
23 May 2015, 02:23 AM

1-If you lose a unit by standing on cover, that's your fault. You are the one who choose how they want your troops to stand by.

not when a squad decide to occupy 2 ft of real estate on a 20ft wall and an aoe weapon hits. 50% reduction doesn't mean a thing in both of the very real possibilities of taking previous damage and suffering crits.

2.1-Squad moving around during mid-late game crossing through yellow cover generated by explosion needs fixing

so there are 3 things (at least) and it's apparently difficult to a. suss out what the cause is, and b. determine which of these is affecting others.
23 May 2015, 02:32 AM
Patrion 27

I think infantry should only tighten their formation when given a move order to cover and when within range of it. Otherwise they should be spreading out as much as possible.
23 May 2015, 03:31 AM

there are no crits in this game other than: flame crits and pathfinder/jli/sniper crits.
23 May 2015, 04:39 AM

there are no crits in this game other than: flame crits and pathfinder/jli/sniper crits.

your right i should of clarified, or at least provided more support for my argument. i was thinking previous patch greyhound canister round, which with a quick click could negate any bonus offered from cover via direction, whilst still having a squad clump, which i suppose is still the case, just not a "critical".

also, does the damage modifier affect mortars, seeing as the shell is arriving from above, or... over, the cover? i guess?
23 May 2015, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

your right i should of clarified, or at least provided more support for my argument. i was thinking previous patch greyhound canister round, which with a quick click could negate any bonus offered from cover via direction, whilst still having a squad clump, which i suppose is still the case, just not a "critical".

also, does the damage modifier affect mortars, seeing as the shell is arriving from above, or... over, the cover? i guess?

I test it with precision strike on the SU mortars, so i guess it applies to everything else. Cover direction against mortar matters. You won't be 1shot if you are on the right side of the cover.

"not when a squad decide to occupy 2 ft of real estate on a 20ft wall and an aoe weapon hits. 50% reduction doesn't mean a thing in both of the very real possibilities of taking previous damage and suffering crits"

You are the one who puts them in cover and you can position them as you want. If your squad is low in health, then it's not a 1shot. If you take the risk of keep fighting while low on health and with indirect fire been around or not paying attention to nades, that's again your problem.
23 May 2015, 05:47 AM

you can also keep ordering troops into the same piece of cover to get a more favorable spread
23 May 2015, 06:01 AM

I test it with precision strike on the SU mortars, so i guess it applies to everything else. Cover direction against mortar matters. You won't be 1shot if you are on the right side of the cover.

"not when a squad decide to occupy 2 ft of real estate on a 20ft wall and an aoe weapon hits. 50% reduction doesn't mean a thing in both of the very real possibilities of taking previous damage and suffering crits"

You are the one who puts them in cover and you can position them as you want. If your squad is low in health, then it's not a 1shot. If you take the risk of keep fighting while low on health and with indirect fire been around or not paying attention to nades, that's again your problem.

often times you cannot position them as you want. they will clump. unless you do as lemon says and hammer the move order, which sucks. my point being squad spacing in cover previously wasn't like this, was a lot safer, and much more fun to play with.
23 May 2015, 07:21 AM

Can we PLEASE have them maybe space out more? This means less RNG squad wipe problems. I mean seriously PGrens getting wiped by 30 munitions Soviet mine? Come on.
23 May 2015, 08:16 AM

often times you cannot position them as you want. they will clump. unless you do as lemon says and hammer the move order, which sucks. my point being squad spacing in cover previously wasn't like this, was a lot safer, and much more fun to play with.

that means we'll revert to what it was before, where cons couldnt fit into a piece of green cover so they would always get suppressed from mg42s cause one model was always sticking out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★