Login

russian armor

currently: what are the top 3 ostheer commanders ?

20 May 2015, 12:59 PM

i was looking to start playing ostheer.
i wanted to know what the top/best 3 commanders were.

what is the current reliable build order ?
20 May 2015, 13:07 PM

1. CAS
2. Mechanized assault
3.Lightning war
20 May 2015, 13:09 PM
20 May 2015, 13:13 PM

Have to say 1: CAS 2: spearhead 3: mechanised assault.
20 May 2015, 13:26 PM

Burts+1.
CAS: Redistribute resources gives you the power to turn the usual early-mid game dynamic on its head.
In the lategame, your assortment of skillplanes can win you the game in one fell swoop against an unattentive opponent, ie. dive bomb on retreat point, AT strafe close to the mapedge, etc.
Mech Assault. Mech Assault is all about the StuG-E, which is the one clearly op unit in the OH arsenal. Requires no tech at 6 cp and has great squadwipe potential for cheap, the Tiger is the icing on the cake.
Lightning War:
G43 are nice on urban maps, however, what makes this doctrine really strong is the Tiger/Loiter CAS combo.

With that being said, it always pays to have an Elefant commander in the loadout to deal with IS-2s, and on open maps, the Ele also works like a charm against US, allowing you to dominate their armour from long range without much risk.
20 May 2015, 13:30 PM

are p4's any good ?
or
am i better off waiting for panther or call-in using at guns in the mean time ?>
20 May 2015, 13:37 PM

Its situational, but:
If you are facing a competent Soviet opponent utilising a meta strat (ie. Shock Rifle, Guard Motor), a PIV is almost always your express ticket to losing the game as it comes to late to have much of an impact and is virtually hardcountered by the call-ins.
Against USF its generally more viable, but even so, its still fairly weak, and I feel that in most situations you will be better off with call-in play.
The PIV is not really hard AT, it can hold its own against the basic Allied medium tanks, however, against anything more advanced it will go down very quickly unless well supported. When you play OH, the Paks are the cornerstone of your at and their placement and protection are central to your success. Don't neglect the occasional teller mine!

A Panther is a rare bird in 1v1s, the tech is usually too expensive and takes too long.
20 May 2015, 13:46 PM

so my best best for 1v1 is to tech only 2 T2 ?
use
grens, mg, mortar, pio. at gun ?
then wait for call in ?

dont bother with p4 or panther ?

how about the scout car ?

build order i was thinking about

gren x4
t2
mg
mortar
scout car
at gun
wait for call - in

sound alright ?
20 May 2015, 13:52 PM

Generally yes, that tends to be the most efficient way to go about things, and if you are new to OH, it doesnt hurt to stick to this formula for a few games until you feel comfortable enough with your micro and timing to be more flexible in your build orders and overall approach. Then you might also start looking at the sniper.

Scout car in this patch with increased health clearly has its place in the game, it can ward off or even kill the M20/M3 (just beware of minebaits, or the M20 crew with its bazooka popping out. If you manage to vet it up, the increased sight range can be very helpful all the way through the lategame.

Edit: As for build orders, of course, much depends. Against standard US play (3-4 rifles into LT/M20) you will generally want to tech after your fourth t1 unit and then get either a Scout car or a Pak out ASAP.
Against Soviets, if he goes Conscript spam, you can safely get 5-6 t1 units (all of which can be useful)before you tech. If he goes T1 with Guards which is also popular, you can try to either spam Grens aggressively to push him off the map into fast T3 and then backtech to get Paks and prepare for the 85s, or keep with a more conventional T1T2 build.
In short, against Soviets, you can generally afford to tech later.
20 May 2015, 14:40 PM

Elite troops
CAS
Spearhead
20 May 2015, 15:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Always say first 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3+

That been said, CAS and Lighting are all around good on any mode.
20 May 2015, 16:01 PM

Mech Assault
CAS
Elite
20 May 2015, 16:32 PM

Every time I try to use Lighting I fall flat on my face becuase I really struggle to save enough munis for the planes. Im always spending muni on LMGs, Fausts, Tellars. So for that reason I prefer Elite Troops, get P4s and often vet them to vet2 (armour skirts), then when the time is right, call the Ace.

Mech Assault is good, esspecially if you do well early, as you can use a stug or maybe two to totally keep them off the map. This works great against Guard Motor 85s stall, IF youve done ok early on, as they wont have a solid counter to the stuge for too long.

But, after a LOT of games as Werh 1v1 this month, and trying almost anything... CAS is really crazy. Once you get the hang of when and where to use the plane call ins.

The advantage is huge MP pool because not spending it on teck or tanks, so you can get so much inf, backed by paks. I would back the paks with shrek PGs, as they will try to rush you with lots of armour, just stick them in a building or bunker to prevent crushing and pushing. Mass LMGs and MG42s just shuts down their inf.

As far as the planes go:

-use the recon run, lots, its cheap and you never run out of munis.

-Use the MG strafe when his inf is threatening to push you back, but try to have troops at hand to do damage or force them off.

-I really like the AT strafe, but it does not auto target, so you must use it carefully, either on damaged engine tanks or repairing ones he might not move(try for rear armour and aim ahead if its moving like you would an OKW stuka, or use it on USF ambulance. It is absolutely devastating to blobbed inf, so hitting his reinfocing inf at the HQ (use recon), has won me several games instantly, its cheaper than the dive bomber, hits slightly faster and has less of a giveaway.

-I like using the dive bomber against less than obvious targets, i.e. he probably wont move them, inf or tanks just panic move when he hears it, but MGs in buildings, or rear-ward mortars rarley move and get nuked quite often.

Honestly I did not fancy playing without armour for so long given how squishy Werh can be. But the infinate muni hacks totally transforms the faction. Its pretty bloody OP most of the time.

Medium spam can ruin you, but if you play well its ok. IS2s are harder to deal with, you better hope you got enough paks in time and maybe it will hit a tellar. ISU could stomp this I imagine, but people dont use them much.

One last thing, if you control both fuels for a bit early, which is feasible with so much inf, fast teck a P4 out before spamming muni convert.
21 May 2015, 12:10 PM

CAS
Spearhead
Mobile Defense
Jager Armor
21 May 2015, 12:53 PM

Universal - CAS.(best overall-fight cheese with cheese)
Festung Armor(if usf didn't go infantry,if soviet didn't go il-2 bomb run doctrine..pak43 plus smoke for pz 4)

Vs soviet - Jaeger armor.(counters is-2 meta)Spearhead doctrine( mortar halftrack 'counters' 120 mm sort of)

Vs americans - Mechanized assault.(Stug E,countered by american armor docrine)
23 May 2015, 13:35 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Moved to Ostheer strategies
23 May 2015, 14:18 PM

so my best best for 1v1 is to tech only 2 T2 ?
use
grens, mg, mortar, pio. at gun ?
then wait for call in ?

dont bother with p4 or panther ?

how about the scout car ?

build order i was thinking about

gren x4
t2
mg
mortar
scout car
at gun
wait for call - in

sound alright ?

With cas you will want to skip and tech to tier 4 for the panther into late game. You will have more then enough fuel if you are doing well.
24 May 2015, 08:00 AM

Lol depends how many players really

There are some GREAT doctrines that support you and your teammates. Assault Support Doctrine is currently my favorite.

Close Air Support was neutered a bit by making enemy infantry able to avoid being strafed (good old days where I selected a circled area and any units inside became strafe targets). Definitely had better days before you had to choose the attack run.

Elite troops seems more of a 1v1 type of doctrine. Its been nerfed hard since its creation, some people still use it. SOME.

Mech Assault is a good doctrine, before Western Fronts it was all I used. Just tier 2 then wait for the tiger.

Tiger's are pretty lame though, in team games why spend all that gas on a slow moving target (that can't even rotate its main gun fast enough to catch the 3 Jackson tank destroyer's flanking it) when you can get 2 or 3 Panzer4's with some Pak40's? Much better IMO.

Better force projection.

24 May 2015, 09:54 AM

1. Defensive doctrine
2. Blitzkrieg
3. Jeager infantry

Get it right scrubs
25 May 2015, 16:37 PM

For 2v2 Joint Operations is really good. The Howitzer+ Pak 43 Combo is great. Jager armor is quite good too. The Riegel mines alone make quite a bit of difference. CAS is always viable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★