Login

russian armor

Skilled players,levels,Smurfs etc.

22 May 2015, 11:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2015, 05:45 AMJohnnyB

I feel you bro.... :(. COH requires 120% of your attention and are so manny things that won't let you play properly. Though we are fighting hard to be in line, this game becomes more and more not for us, "the old guys". Saw you mentioned nothing related to kids. Kids are counting all those things multiplied by three. I have a friend who quit COH for this reason. I wish I was 23-24 again :)

Kids are a good reason to quit gaming...

...and have a comeback when they are old and skilled enough to carry me in teamgames :lol:
24 May 2015, 06:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2015, 17:10 PMmeh
You older guys should start a clan or group and call yourselves (ODB)Old Dirty Bastards or (ODS)Old Dirty Smurfs

GOBS - Grumpy Old Bear Smurfs, would be a subset of The Angry Bears
24 May 2015, 06:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2015, 17:10 PMmeh
You older guys should start a clan or group and call yourselves (ODB)Old Dirty Bastards or (ODS)Old Dirty Smurfs

PS - I do have two accounts but have a bad feeling that they're both Smurfs.......
24 May 2015, 08:15 AM
Patrion 14

I confess that I'm a kind of Smurf,I play only the maps I like ,so if the automach don't give me one of the pretended map ,I quit. I said it because I have more defeats than victories,but 9 in 10 are fakes,and as I'm in the middle of the rank ladder I face normal players,but some times when I win very games in a row,I jump to coh2 premier league,and I found players that simple wipe me from the game before I notice what's happen,simple as that.Then I look for their stats and sometimes I found guys with a couple of games ,sometimes less than 100,it's not possible,people with so few games can't play like that,so two things may occur,people have two or more accounts,or use two computers,or different installation and use the steam cloud to cheat the ranks. Well,all this because I'm sick to be humiliated by guys with less than 1/4 or my games,is that Im a almost 50 years old guy,who still play this addictive game,but wont improve much more.Tanks for the comprehension.

I am 50. I have played this game since the early COH days. I don't get any better. I tend to play 3v3 and 4v4, where one can hide a bit. I am usually not the worst player on the field, so I am not a total nuisance. Like you, for some unfathomable reason, I persist at this stupid game. Anyway, good to know that there is a kindred spirit out there.
24 May 2015, 10:41 AM

Don't worry diddle you are not alone.
25 May 2015, 11:13 AM

What's the question? That's what a smurf is: hiding his true experience by recreating accounts to matchmake against newbs and streak them for high rank. At least that's how it worked in old coh. At the end of coh1 lifecycle it became ridiculous. Everybody knew there where no new players in that game so it was easy to spot the smurfs. Pretty much every inexperienced player wanting to play Scheldt as axis.

Because of this, level (more game time) can actually be a more fair indicator of skill than actual rank. It is unlikely that somebody with hundereds of hours of gametime is a bad player. But of course, it's pretty fashionable to claim just that on the boards. Both parameters kinda depends. With gametime the question is "how much do you need to play to grasp everything and improve to a certain sticky level?" If you claim to know this game after 50 hours you are simply ignorant, not a genious player. A 100 hour player is most probably a worse player than the 1000 hour player because CoH2 is a deep game that takes loads of time to master. But the 2000 hour player might not be noticably better than the 1000 hour player. Unless he actively strived to get better, analysed key indicators and thought out processes to improve.

Don't feel blue because you lost against somebody with newb stats. Obviously it was not a newb.

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 08:15 AMdiddle
I am 50. I have played this game since the early COH days. I don't get any better.

The thing is though, do you want to get better? I don't think it's primarily age that is stopping you. CoH is not that fast paced. Because at a certain point improving further means doing things in a way that's no longer fun/feelgood and winning becomes the main gratification. Not actually driving a Tiger around and "wow haha that was a huge blast" sort of fun. Sports are fun... until you play to win against the best. Then it becomes a job of optimizing everything and working really hard.

Older people become more casual for a reason. Relaxed feels more fun and you don't care as much about impressing others. Related trivia on the subject is that there are no major physical holdbacks for a strengt training person to build muscle until the age of fifty compared to 20 year olds. People think so and claim lower testosteron levels to impact hugely. Truth is the drop is not that big and does not impact as much as most think.
25 May 2015, 12:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 08:15 AMdiddle

I don't get any better. I tend to play 3v3 and 4v4, where one can hide a bit. I am usually not the worst player on the field, so I am not a total nuisance.

That's to bad because in order to get better you have to 1v1. After playing like 15-20 games in 1v1 with a faction, come back in 3v3 and 4v4 and you will see your performance improving by at least 20% with that faction. But you need to have the time and nerves for it....
25 May 2015, 16:54 PM
Patrion 14

The thing is though, do you want to get better?

Of course I want to get better. To be good at something is fun. But it takes effort to become good at something, and my efforts are scattered and without system. That is probably because all I really want from this game is to now and then find myself in a grueling match that goes down to the wire and has me cursing and swearing at the screen and generally behaving disgracefully. It does not happen often, but it does happen, even amongst us noobs.
25 May 2015, 17:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 06:05 AMGrumpy

GOBS - Grumpy Old Bear Smurfs, would be a subset of The Angry Bears

I approve.
25 May 2015, 17:11 PM

Because of this, level (more game time) can actually be a more fair indicator of skill than actual rank. It is unlikely that somebody with hundereds of hours of gametime is a bad player.

The hour counter in COH2 is kind of broken. It seems to track anytime the game is running in the background. It also counts comp stomps, which I use to farm bulletins. Most of my ranking comes from farming, and probably 3/4 of my time is just having the game run in the background. ELO (sp?) ranking does seem to work pretty well.
25 May 2015, 18:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Because of this, level (more game time) can actually be a more fair indicator of skill than actual rank. It is unlikely that somebody with hundereds of hours of gametime is a bad player. But of course, it's pretty fashionable to claim just that on the boards. Both parameters kinda depends. With gametime the question is "how much do you need to play to grasp everything and improve to a certain sticky level?" If you claim to know this game after 50 hours you are simply ignorant, not a genious player. A 100 hour player is most probably a worse player than the 1000 hour player because CoH2 is a deep game that takes loads of time to master. But the 2000 hour player might not be noticably better than the 1000 hour player. Unless he actively strived to get better, analysed key indicators and thought out processes to improve.

Quality > Quantity
ELO > Level
After 10 games the system assigns you a rank. After 20-30 games you should have a semi accurate rank.

Don't look at how many hours/level your opponent has, rather than their ranking on the ladder.
26 May 2015, 01:46 AM

I don't hold any quarrel with smurfs simply because I do it as well. It really is exquisite to see your ranking and stats higher on your smurf, rather than your main account because it confirms that idiot teammates, bad luck, RNG and etc held back your ranking.

Anyone who has a problem with people using multiple accounts to play CoH2 simply don't enjoy fun, and thus should be ignored.
26 May 2015, 09:52 AM

Quality > Quantity
ELO > Level
After 10 games the system assigns you a rank. After 20-30 games you should have a semi accurate rank.

Don't look at how many hours/level your opponent has, rather than their ranking on the ladder.

Ok I mostly had Coh1 perspective in mind since smurfing made more sense then, not in Coh2. and assumed a little about coh2 since I'm unsure how the ranking works in Coh2. In Coh1 it seemed one could rank up fast by streaking. And as soon as one hit a few losses it seemed much harder to improve rank by winning again against the same players that would've ranked someone up faster against if it was on a streak. It would then make sense to recreate accounts to try rushing the ladder again. And maybe some just wanted to stomp low skill players. So rank does not seem all that accurate when stats padding gives better rank. Personally I feel I've held higher ranks in Coh2 as well when I was a less competent player. For whatever reason.
26 May 2015, 11:19 AM

Let's consider this situation:

You are a middling player who is playing from time to time - not every day because you haven't got the time - though you would like to. And when you play, sometimes you play one - maybe 2 games in a row because of time. You struggle and earn your 3000 -2000 or whatever place number in the ladder. Then some top 50 smurf is comming with a new account being automatched with you while he is 500 below you in the ladder - because of smurf account. And beat the hell out of you insuring a severe ladder drop for you.

What would you think? That it is fair?
26 May 2015, 16:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2015, 11:19 AMJohnnyB
Let's consider this situation:

You are a middling player who is playing from time to time - not every day because you haven't got the time - though you would like to. And when you play, sometimes you play one - maybe 2 games in a row because of time. You struggle and earn your 3000 -2000 or whatever place number in the ladder. Then some top 50 smurf is comming with a new account being automatched with you while he is 500 below you in the ladder - because of smurf account. And beat the hell out of you insuring a severe ladder drop for you.

What would you think? That it is fair?

Losing against higher people on rank won't demote you as far as losing against people lower than you. EVEN THEN, if you had a high number of games played, your ELO is stabilized (mostly).

Facing someone top100 as top2000 is a matter of time. Facing someone top500 as someone top 2000 shouldn't be weird TBH.
26 May 2015, 16:31 PM

28 May 2015, 10:20 AM

if you had a high number of games played, your ELO is stabilized (mostly).

So it would make sense for me to run a new account then since the only one I've ever used is burdened by loads of losses from when I was first getting into CoH2? If I cared about rank that is.
28 May 2015, 11:43 AM

So it would make sense for me to run a new account then since the only one I've ever used is burdened by loads of losses from when I was first getting into CoH2? If I cared about rank that is.

Smurfing is for scrubs that wanna come here and publish their precious player cards believing that if they have 80-0 with all factions that means they know the game. >:(

We had so many examples of verry good players that have shocking or unrealistic opinions. It appears to be a "creme-de la creme" disease: being totally detached by game reality.
28 May 2015, 11:46 AM

My modest ambition is to keep an equal number of victories and defeats for each faction. All attempts to get any better than this failed sooner or later in my case.
28 May 2015, 17:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm gonna put it simple. If you are a good player, you will get high ranked, if you are a bad player, sooner or later rank will put you on your place.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★