Login

russian armor

Grenadiers or panzergrenadiers?

18 May 2015, 21:21 PM

I usually go Grenadiers because of the rifle grenade ability. I tried the panzergrenadiers a few times but I never seem to able to get the same results with this unit. I know they are supposed to be good up close but the problem seems to be that they fall like flies and usually only have two men left per squad before I can get close enough to enemy infantry at which point I have to retreat them. With Grenadiers I can move from cover to cover and mow enemy squads down with the lmg42 upgrade and negate the enemy's cover with the afformentioned rifle grenade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the panzergrenadiers, I don't know... what do you guys usually go for?
18 May 2015, 21:42 PM

Never charge pgrens up close! Medium range is where they excel. Keep them in cover and you'll see their great dps put to good use.

Both units are very good if used effectively. What I build is very situational but I might often end up with 3-4 grens and 1 or maybe 2 pgren squads by the end of a game. Don't spam pgrens because they are very expensive, use them wisely.
18 May 2015, 21:43 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I usually go Grenadiers because of the rifle grenade ability. I tried the panzergrenadiers a few times but I never seem to able to get the same results with this unit. I know they are supposed to be good up close but the problem seems to be that they fall like flies and usually only have two men left per squad before I can get close enough to enemy infantry at which point I have to retreat them. With Grenadiers I can move from cover to cover and mow enemy squads down with the lmg42 upgrade and negate the enemy's cover with the afformentioned rifle grenade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the panzergrenadiers, I don't know... what do you guys usually go for?

Theres your problem. They arent meant to be up close,ever.

They have amazing damage at mid and even long range. Just stay at range. They have similar DPS to LMG Grenadiers at long range and better dps than lmg grenadiers at mid range

And only build 2 panzer grenadiers max.

lol after effect dat timing :snfPeter:
18 May 2015, 21:51 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I always thought panzergrenadiers were meant to be up close much like soviet shock troops or OKW sturmpioneers because they carry an automatic weapon. Guess I was wrong.
18 May 2015, 22:22 PM

I´ve had great games when I had my Pgrens in green/yellow cover and utterly destruct those filthy russians and 'mericans. Also the bundel grenade is huge. Throw it in a wooden house and it has (almost) 80% chance on destructing the house. Rest of the houses can be cleared easily too.
18 May 2015, 22:45 PM

Spec Ops unit for special operation.

Regual infantry for regular tasks
18 May 2015, 23:32 PM
Patrion 27

Grenadiers being so multi purpose is kind of hard to pass up. rifle nades, fausts, LMGs or G43s depending on commander choice.

I find Panzergrens are a more defensive squad that comes at a timing when you need to start counter attacking to regain the map, thus can be hard to use without bleeding a lot of manpower.

It all comes down to preference though I suppose.
19 May 2015, 12:07 PM
Admin Red  Badge

I use Panzergrenadiers either as ambushing or defensive unit against possible flanks from hostile infantry or as supporting anti tank unit with Panzerschreck upgraded. Charging forward with Panzergrenadiers against infantry in cover will always result into model losses and retreat from your side. You should not do that unless you are ready to pay significant amount of manpower to reinforce them without trading much or even no manpower on your opponent's side.

And do not build more than two squads of Panzergrenadiers like Cookiez mentioned otherwise the bleed will be real.
20 May 2015, 08:00 AM

With both grenadiers and panzergrenadiers is better to keep a distance from your enemy, because both US and Soviets are pretty useless at long range. I used 3-4 squads of Pgrens very efective againts the Soviets on Moscow just by the fact that i keep a distance from the shock troops.
20 May 2015, 08:34 AM
22 May 2015, 16:22 PM
Patrion 15

here are some statistics concerning panzergrenadiere and grenadiere from www.coh2-stats.com.
i hope the site is up to date...

damage/sec of grenadiersquad / grendier + lmg42 / PanzerGrenadiere

Range Far (35m): 8 / 14 / 5
Range Mid (20m): 12 / 17 / 26
Range Close (5m) 21 / 21 / 53

some other interesting statistics :

PGs fight more efficiant while moving than grenadiers and far better than LMG grenadiers.
PG take less damage than Grenadiers from small arms - Receved Accuracy Modifier of 0.80 vs 0.91.
PG get slightly better veterancy.
While for Grenadiers vet 2 means more damage output, PGs get a little damage-output boost and become 40% harder to kill.
18 Apr 2023, 04:57 AM

Theres your problem. They arent meant to be up close,ever.

They have amazing damage at mid and even long range. Just stay at range. They have similar DPS to LMG Grenadiers at long range and better dps than lmg grenadiers at mid range

And only build 2 panzer grenadiers max.

lol after effect dat timing :snfPeter:

Does this info still apply in 2023?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak