Login

russian armor

2v2 How to Counter 120mm mortar into t34-85 w/ Shock rifle?

17 May 2015, 04:14 AM

I've been running up against this strat often and I'm not sure how to counter this. My partner and I play 2v2 Ost and OKW. Double soviets is the biggest issue because the match goes with variations of this:

1. Con spam or t1/t2 (both sides break even)
2. Get 2 120mm mortars and put it right outside base (crossing woods/moscow outskirts/karkov), lock down half the map and get squad kills, OKW truck kills (we're losing)
3. Fight shocks and guards with ost t2, OKW medic-->flak (both sides break even)
4. Take katy rockets and hope there are no squad wipes (we're losing)
5. Fight t34-85s and IS2 with tiger, paks, shrek blob, panther/jagdpanther (both sides break even)

Problem is we're stuck at 2 and 4.

We can kill the mortars with munis, but it's not a good trade to spend munis just to decrew it when it can be recrewed again. Also, it can be retreated with 1 man so it takes some luck that the crew is bunched up when it gets naded/flame mortar/etc. Frontal attacks with the mortars supported (as always) is just more risk for squad wipes.

As for the katy, is there any alternative that doesn't involve teching to t3? P4 rushes have worked, but it's usually a base rush where the p4 gets traded with the katy b/c of mines, retreated cons with AT nades conveniently at the base, etc. Not a good trade. Teching to t3 also delays tiger and burns more MP that needs to be used to recrew stuff, replace squads, fight t34-85s & IS2.
17 May 2015, 05:58 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'd like to know too. i despise them in 1's. as far as 2's, a stuka is a great help. perhaps trying a mechreg opening would help your team out with both 120's and katushas, pumas can hunt them down, and the stuka will deal with t2.
17 May 2015, 13:36 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Yeah walking stuka is the only way to get rid of them 120'z in any way resembling efficiency. :foreveralone: and thats in 2v2

in 1v1 you just have to push it whenever possible :foreveralone:

in 2v2 with the katyushas
If you have an OKW teammate or Ostheer mobile defense build a sneaky puma and run it around the side of the map into their base..otherwise yup just sit there and eat the rockets and try to dodge squad wipes :foreveralone:
17 May 2015, 14:41 PM

Don't be greedy. Mediocre OKW players always put their truck somewhere in the middle of the map even smallest one.
17 May 2015, 14:44 PM

Are there any good 2v2 streams to watch?
17 May 2015, 14:45 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Lemon/Ciez and
Siberian
17 May 2015, 15:57 PM

Permanently Banned

A lot of the top streamers will either occasionally or regularly play 2v2s, Romeo, Siberian, Stormless, Hans, Lemon, Ciez, and CaptainSPrice all play 2v2 quite a lot and are all pretty skilled players.

120mm mortar is the very essence from which ebola percolates
17 May 2015, 16:17 PM

Romeo, Siberian, Stormless, Hans, Lemon, Ciez, and CaptainSPrice all play 2v2 quite a lot and are all pretty skilled players.

Wut? Romeo, Stormless are pretty skilled? Kappa
17 May 2015, 16:48 PM

Against 120mm i would always recommend mortar HTs into tigers. With only 200 mp they are incredibly cost-effective and allow a strong T1-T2. Fuel doesn't matter much, since you won't be teching (like a true champ!). And tigers are very good against guards and T34-85s without Zis support.

Walking stuka is for the price not very reliable against 120mm. Often enough they won't wipe the complete squad or leave the weapon intact. And on top of that on certain maps with big indestructible hedges/treelines (crossing in the woods) mortars will be fairly protected from rockets, if the mortar parks right next to it.

CAS with stuka divebomb can work in the late game, since the mortar has significant packup-time.

Other than that: Use agressive riflenades, spread out units and don't put the medic truck to far forward.

Katyusha is something that can't be countered directly in the hands of a cautious player. On small maps CAS AT strafe may be your best bet. A sneaky JP4 or P4 can work, but it relies on the enemy to make a mistake.
17 May 2015, 20:24 PM

Against 120mm i would always recommend mortar HTs into tigers. With only 200 mp they are incredibly cost-effective and allow a strong T1-T2. Fuel doesn't matter much, since you won't be teching (like a true champ!). And tigers are very good against guards and T34-85s without Zis support.

Walking stuka is for the price not very reliable against 120mm. Often enough they won't wipe the complete squad or leave the weapon intact. And on top of that on certain maps with big indestructible hedges/treelines (crossing in the woods) mortars will be fairly protected from rockets, if the mortar parks right next to it.

CAS with stuka divebomb can work in the late game, since the mortar has significant packup-time.

Other than that: Use agressive riflenades, spread out units and don't put the medic truck to far forward.

Katyusha is something that can't be countered directly in the hands of a cautious player. On small maps CAS AT strafe may be your best bet. A sneaky JP4 or P4 can work, but it relies on the enemy to make a mistake.

Another vote for Mortar halftracks. Auto fire is effective but the firebomb ability is really nice and adds a nice slow roasted taste to the 120. just add bbq sauce. I recommend you get as close as you can before using your firebomb as it can be inaccurate at full range.
17 May 2015, 21:56 PM

A couple of games ago I got a 120mm stolen (don't use guard motor usually) The Ostheer player used it parallel to a standard 81mm. The turbomortar got significantly more kills...
18 May 2015, 02:00 AM

For the record, I just used several flame mortar rounds from the flame HT on the 120mm mortar is inconsistent AF. Sometimes it kill 3-4 models, sometimes it kills only 1. 40 munis just to kill 3-4 models only to have the thing keep firing is bs. Killing it on the retreat with an upgraded scout car is just lol. It can't even kill 1 model unless it follows it from 2/3 of the map back to base.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★