Login

russian armor

When to build Panther vs 2 StuGs?

12 May 2015, 18:10 PM

I just had the most epic 4v4 tank battle ever. I have no idea how many IS2's we killed, but it must have been 15 IS2's and about 20 T34/85's and probably another 15 SU-85's or so. The round lasted over an hour and came down to 11 vics vs 0 at the end. I had over 103000 damage, 40,000 dealt by StuG's and 42,000 delt by Panzer Grens.

Throughout the entire round I never really had fuel for panthers

Something told me that StuG's would have been better for the round given how many t34/85 and IS2 commanders I was up against. If you're facing just an absolute massive medium and heavy tank spam, does the StuG make more sense than the Panther? I'm thinking with the Weak point ability at vet1 2 StuGs MAY be a better tank killer overall than the Panther, not to mention that it vets up WAYYYY faster.

I had a round a day or two ago where the enemy sent in about 6 T34's vs my 2 Tigers and 2 Pgrens with schrecks. WIth the massive kind of spam, not even all that AT weaponry could kill the enemy tanks. In certain situations isn't it better to have lots of small and medium tank killers, rather than a Heavy or two, or 2 or 3 panthers tops?
12 May 2015, 19:11 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If we're talking 3v3+,I'd get panthers or tigers behind a TWP pak wall all day. Why get a STUG with your fuel for TWP when a pak does the same thing for only MP?
12 May 2015, 19:15 PM

Post your replay...
I find stugs personally to be crap at tank hunting. Once they vet theyre ok but pathers are really the best at tank hunting, they're even better then tigers because of their range and penetration. Personally I use 2 pak40s, p4 and sheks to massacre all. The drawback to the panther is it takes awhile to hit the field vs p4 or ootherwise.
Lastly... If you really want to wreck armor go for elefant.
12 May 2015, 21:00 PM

Post your replay...
I find stugs personally to be crap at tank hunting. Once they vet theyre ok but pathers are really the best at tank hunting, they're even better then tigers because of their range and penetration. Personally I use 2 pak40s, p4 and sheks to massacre all. The drawback to the panther is it takes awhile to hit the field vs p4 or ootherwise.
Lastly... If you really want to wreck armor go for elefant.

I will gladly post this replay, it is fuckin awesome! It was the most epic battle I had in months. We totally snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, considering we got down to like 11 vics left when the tide turned.
12 May 2015, 21:03 PM
12 May 2015, 21:16 PM

If we're talking 3v3+,I'd get panthers or tigers behind a TWP pak wall all day. Why get a STUG with your fuel for TWP when a pak does the same thing for only MP?

My main problem with paks is #1 they're no where near as mobile as a StuG. I can get a StuG into the action whereas Pak's need to be somewhat close to where the action is before they can become of use and #2, this is a huge flaw in the Pak, they get decrewed SOOOOO easily. Like a fire bomb right ontop of a couple of Pak's their crews are gone, StuG will drive right through that though. Plus it has an MG Gunner on top to boot.

StuG can survive a Katyusha rocket barrage, I think I've even seen them survive a direct hit from a M6 Priest Howitzer, can't say the same for a Pak crew.

Fuel is almost never an issue with my style of game, i micro my tanks so well usually, that I'm usually floating a lot of fuel by endgame rather than in constant need of it. Which is once again why I like the StuG, I lost 3 StuGs out of 7 built and got 40,000 damage, can't complain about that bang for the buck.
12 May 2015, 21:38 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

My main problem with paks is #1 they're no where near as mobile as a StuG. I can get a StuG into the action whereas Pak's need to be somewhat close to where the action is before they can become of use and #2, this is a huge flaw in the Pak, they get decrewed SOOOOO easily. Like a fire bomb right ontop of a couple of Pak's their crews are gone, StuG will drive right through that though. Plus it has an MG Gunner on top to boot.

StuG can survive a Katyusha rocket barrage, I think I've even seen them survive a direct hit from a M6 Priest Howitzer, can't say the same for a Pak crew.

Fuel is almost never an issue with my style of game, i micro my tanks so well usually, that I'm usually floating a lot of fuel by endgame rather than in constant need of it. Which is once again why I like the StuG, I lost 3 StuGs out of 7 built and got 40,000 damage, can't complain about that bang for the buck.

You can recrew paks using halftracks and pios,and a STUG dies to a stiff breeze except it costs fuel and you cant recrew it once it dies. you just keep drainig fuel by replacing it.

I also dont feel a fragile assault gun is all that mobile.
But thats just my opinion. To me the only thing a STUG has going for it is DPS vs medium tanks like the T34 or sherman when you have 2-3 together,since it can actuallly penetrate them.

But vs IS2s n whatnot i'd rather have a panther or tiger. again just me
12 May 2015, 22:59 PM

When to build Panther vs 2 StuGs?

a: always xD

damage output, stun, vet etc. all that doesn't matter if the sample size you have is small, 'COS THEY EXPLODE WHEN THEY LOOK AT ARMOR :'(
13 May 2015, 02:03 AM

You can recrew paks using halftracks and pios,and a STUG dies to a stiff breeze except it costs fuel and you cant recrew it once it dies. you just keep drainig fuel by replacing it.

I also dont feel a fragile assault gun is all that mobile.
But thats just my opinion. To me the only thing a STUG has going for it is DPS vs medium tanks like the T34 or sherman when you have 2-3 together,since it can actuallly penetrate them.

But vs IS2s n whatnot i'd rather have a panther or tiger. again just me

Granted I virtually never build StuG's, I had a kick ass round with them though. I just think if you understand their battlefield role (THey're a self-propelled gun, NOT a tank) and micro them well you can make effective use of them. They're a notch above a SU76, which truly has paper armor and can take virtually no return fire without dying.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight