Login

russian armor

Coh2.org enforcing Relic NDA= lol

• This thread is locked
6 May 2015, 20:15 PM

It was almost exactly 3 years ago to the day when CoH2 was revealed, not officially by Relic but a leaked image from the next month issue of PC Gamer had CoH2 on the cover. Relic obviously did not mean for the game to be announced this way, but because at the time we were operating like a legitimate media outlet we broke the story anyway (this was actually on gamereplays.org a few months before this site was opened). DanielD and myself were the lead editors, and ntd was the director. Coh2.org is a fansite, meaning it is somewhat of a media outlet for coh2 news. Leaks are a part of news, and covering them up is just fucking silly. It is the responsibility of the media/press to report leaked information.

Now I'm not saying coh2.org should encourage people to break nda and leak classified CoH2 info, but if someone breaks NDA at their own risk that should be between them and Relic. Also there is this thing called secondary sources, which means person leaking said material isn't even bound by an NDA and is within their rights to leak as much shit as they want to if they learned it from someone else. For a site that is supposed to report CoH2 news, and was founded by people that made the decision to announce CoH2 before Relic's intended reveal date, this is shameful. This place is no longer a legitimate fansite if it is going to enforce Relic's NDA for them, it is functioning as a Relic propaganda wing under the current policy. #shill
6 May 2015, 20:19 PM
Patrion 28

butt muh brown nose

i do agree with you though
6 May 2015, 20:24 PM

our Hero you bring it to the point! :wub:
6 May 2015, 20:24 PM

6 May 2015, 20:25 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

@ OP Your history is wrong, but this thread may continue, so long as nobody goes beyond the mark, otherwise, consequences may ensue

Posters should be aware that basilone is apparently abandoning the franchise for his own best reasons and has little to lose.

http://www.coh2.org/topic/33953/bye-and-thanks/page/1#post_id322443

Moved to Scrap Yard
6 May 2015, 20:29 PM

how it looks like

coh2.org - sucks Relic's butt

Relic - gives zero fucks on that

:snfBarton:
6 May 2015, 20:30 PM

It was almost exactly 3 years ago to the day when CoH2 was revealed, not officially by Relic but a leaked image from the next month issue of PC Gamer had CoH2 on the cover. Relic obviously did not mean for the game to be announced this way, but because at the time we were operating like a legitimate media outlet we broke the story anyway (this was actually on gamereplays.org a few months before this site was opened). DanielD and myself were the lead editors, and ntd was the director. Coh2.org is a fansite, meaning it is somewhat of a media outlet for coh2 news. Leaks are a part of news, and covering them up is just fucking silly. It is the responsibility of the media/press to report leaked information.

Now I'm not saying coh2.org should encourage people to break nda and leak classified CoH2 info, but if someone breaks NDA at their own risk that should be between them and Relic. Also there is this thing called secondary sources, which means person leaking said material isn't even bound by an NDA and is within their rights to leak as much shit as they want to if they learned it from someone else. For a site that is supposed to report CoH2 news, and was founded by people that made the decision to announce CoH2 before Relic's intended reveal date, this is shameful. This place is no longer a legitimate fansite if it is going to enforce Relic's NDA for them, it is functioning as a Relic propaganda wing under the current policy. #shill

It's a good point. Ultimately there seems to be no legal requirement for CoH2.org to enforce Relic's NDA (If I'm wrong, please enlighten me!)

But if they didn't enforce it, wouldn't that lead the Relic shunning (read "having no choice but to shun") the site? useless as they usually are (we're excited that it's working how it's intended) I like reading the occasional tiny tidbits from Cynthia and wots-his-face the CEO. Still, your suggestion may be the better option.

Also we have to consider what would happen to future Alpha-tests if the Sega-Overlords discovered that leaks were springing up everywhere. If they are so determined to keep everything super-secret, perhaps they could decided to reduce the numbers allowed into Alphas to just a small handful and thereby reduce the likelihood of good improvements to the game. As such defending the NDA would be in the CoH2.org's community's best interests.

In any case, I wish SEGA would reassess their stance because Anticipation is an excellent marketting tool and you can't have that without a little bit of prior knowledge of something going on.
6 May 2015, 20:34 PM

Quite common legal struggles regarding webpages should make something very clear for everyone. (Im talking about when hate speech is concerned not to talk about the biggest one, ThePirateBay. )

Even tough it might be shocking for some. The one who post something doesn't alone share responsibility. :O But the publisher of the webpage is responsible for what he/she/they keep on their webpage.

Imagine if that wasn't the case? Websites hosting illegal material getting off the hook because they didn't upload it. You are always responsible for what exists on your server. Even if you didn't upload it. In the same way you are responsible for what is in your house even if a friend brought it there.
6 May 2015, 20:38 PM

I think Coh2.org follows Relic guidelines in terms of NDA, because Sundaynightfights etc. want support from Relic to tournaments etc.
6 May 2015, 20:41 PM

@ OP Your history is wrong, but this thread may continue, so long as nobody goes beyond the mark, otherwise, consequences may ensue

Have anything to back that up?

Posters should be aware that basilone is apparently abandoning the franchise for his own best reasons and has little to lose.

Your history is wrong. I have taken an indefinite hiatus from CoH and because of financial circumstances I have put my PC up for sale, but I never said I am permanently leaving the CoH franchise. I don't see how this is relevant anyway.

and has little to lose.

What are you suggesting? Did you forget who owns the site? Your attempt to discount everything I said makes me believe these NDA policies were made by you in the absence of the people actually in charge of this place.
6 May 2015, 20:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Protip:

See the Report Button?

Check what the bottom reason is.

That's not a new thing.

6 May 2015, 20:43 PM
Honorary Member Badge

What are you suggesting? Did you forget who owns the site? Your attempt to discount everything I said makes me believe these NDA policies were made by you in the absence of the people actually in charge of this place.

This will be interesting...

6 May 2015, 20:44 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

It's a good point. Ultimately there seems to be no legal requirement for CoH2.org to enforce Relic's NDA (If I'm wrong, please enlighten me!)

But if they didn't enforce it, wouldn't that lead the Relic shunning (read "having no choice but to shun") the site? useless as they usually are (we're excited that it's working how it's intended) I like reading the occasional tiny tidbits from Cynthia and wots-his-face the CEO. Still, your suggestion may be the better option.

Also we have to consider what would happen to future Alpha-tests if the Sega-Overlords discovered that leaks were springing up everywhere. If they are so determined to keep everything super-secret, perhaps they could decided to reduce the numbers allowed into Alphas to just a small handful and thereby reduce the likelihood of good improvements to the game. As such defending the NDA would be in the CoH2.org's community's best interests.

In any case, I wish SEGA would reassess their stance because Anticipation is an excellent marketting tool and you can't have that without a little bit of prior knowledge of something going on.

It is a bad point which basilone makes. Sorry :(

The history, briefly, is that the Black Admin and several posters on the forum, go back well past three years.

And NDA enforcement has been going on prior to CoHO in GR.org, which (from memory) was September 2010 onwards

6 May 2015, 20:48 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Your history is wrong. I have taken an indefinite hiatus from CoH and because of financial circumstances I have put my PC up for sale, but I never said I am permanently leaving the CoH franchise. I don't see how this is relevant anyway.

Stop trolling please, or there will be consequences for you. :)
6 May 2015, 20:52 PM

Protip:

See the Report Button?

Check what the bottom reason is.

That's not a new thing.

That is silly too. But implementing a fansite ban for breaking Relic NDA is taking it way to far and now is good time to address it. Just because its not new doesn't make it right. Slavery wasn't a new concept in 1860 America.

That is a good point. I'm not saying this hoping that 50% of the people in alpha leak stuff like theres no tomorrow. But if this site is to be a legitimate news source, it should report leaks. If some random guy says some random stuff about alpha without any evidence that is not even news tbh, but if for example some person uploaded alpha footage on youtube and the video got thousands of hits it would be this sites responsibility (if it wants to be considered a legitimate 3rd party fansite) to share the leaked video until Relic has it removed from youtube. If Relic decides to be anal about a fansite posting game news the way they are supposed to, that is there problem. This site can either be a legitimate 3rd party fansite or Relics BFF aka shill, you can't always be both.

6 May 2015, 20:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge

That is silly too. But implementing a fansite ban for breaking Relic NDA is taking it way to far and now is good time to address it. Just because its not new doesn't make it right. Slavery wasn't a new concept in 1860 America.

Ok, I am now reporting you to the Analogy Police.
6 May 2015, 21:04 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

So coh2.org should basically destroy any remaining community-company relations with relic by openly allowing people to break the NDA?
Not only that,but if the coh2.org admins allowed NDA breaking,the website wouldnt even be around for too long afterwards,just like any other site that would put up forbidden stuffz from the alpha.

The difference between Coh2.org and Coh2alphaleaks.com is alot of work time and money went into this site,and its a pretty important site for the coh2 community.

make/code/pay for your own fan website,build it up over a few years, and find someone stupid and willing from a closed alpha to post some unit leaks and tell us how things are going for you a month later.

6 May 2015, 21:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

To all posters: whatever troll stuff Basilone posts, has nothing to do with staff policy.

The ideas from Basilone are misleading and wrong, and will only lead to unfortunate consequences.

Basilone is now heading to the Kuhler to kick his heels - and this thread is now locked.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★