Login

russian armor

Need help, getting fed up with this game

6 May 2015, 00:27 AM

I don't know what's going on, I have gone from rank 800 wehr to 1700, I just don't know what to do. vs USF is crazy, equal number of superior squads and then they get another superior squad free for teching up and then get a powerful shock unit in the m20 straight after. I have tried every sort of opening from gren spam to double mgs and snipers and none of it seems to work, as soon as I get out a counter to one thing and start pushing back they come out with something else to put the pressure on.

Soviets are a bit better but i still struggle, even if I manage to push them back in the early game they seem to come back with callins like guards and 120mm mortars, they say they fixed the 120mm but I still get full hp gren squads wiped and even when I flank with pgrens they still get away with 1 or two men remaining because of the large squad size. guards needed a buff certainly but now they are just so cost effective with the alpha damage from ptrs meaning all it takes is one or two hits to turn an engagement in their favour. I'm really not having fun and I'm considering taking a bit of a break from the game, maybe wait and see if they are doing the alpha in waves because I'm just not having fun right now.

I can put up some replays if you guys want to have a look and critique what I'm doing wrong.

Apologies for wall of text
6 May 2015, 01:34 AM

The new sniper is great. He can really mess with their rifles and change their whole mindset.

Just have plenty of grens and maybe one MG for control. Always make sure to have grens handy and enough muni for fuasting the M20 (kinda like countering fast M8 in vcoh with volks).

If you try to rush 222, it can be risky due to less grens on the field.

Do you normally teck quite fast? Its far easier vs US to have a longer T1.

It transitions into Stug Es quite easily too, which just tip the balance fully in your favour. Back them with paks and he cant really counter with armour.

Hes only left with defensive play around 57mm's. But that lets you play for Tigers.
6 May 2015, 02:57 AM

I would be more than happy to do a replay review for you if you like.

Regarding the USF I like to open with a Gren, MG, Gren, Gren. prioritizing teller mines if i suspect a Lt. They can really shut down any light vehicle opening, and it's smooth sailing from there. Remember their lack of indirect fire and defensive AT. Mortar's can really wreck havoc.

i've had much better games since then but after that one things clicked for me. the trick is staying compact, making sure your weapons teams are supporting your grens, creeping forward, moving from cover to cover, (supported with an HT is always a bonus as well).

the same sort of principles apply against the soviets, but they have a lot more maneuverability, depth and balance in their army so you really have to play pitch perfectly, almost like a robot. i can totally understand your frustration.

7 May 2015, 01:07 AM

6 loss streak, fuck sake, this just isn't fun any more. This was my most recent loss, even on axis sided maps I do badly. how did I get to here from rank 800? Before even losing was fun now every game is miserable.

7 May 2015, 02:53 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

6 loss streak, fuck sake, this just isn't fun any more. This was my most recent loss, even on axis sided maps I do badly. how did I get to here from rank 800? Before even losing was fun now every game is miserable.

I once had a streak of -6,vs the old OKW as USF when I was almost top 200,fell all the way to 600,which absoulutely crushed my self esteem lol,I took it so hard...

Then I took a break from 1v1 for about a week,regathered myself,reevaluated my strategies,watched a TON of top player casts,and then won 7 in a row and got as high as 231 before losing a close one to a top 50.

Take a break from ostheer,maybe play another faction in that period,dont worry so much about winning,EVENTUALLY things will get back on track...youll start winning again....dont worry.

I know saying "dont worry about winning" is cliche but when you go into games not caring if you win or not you'll play WAY better than if you're going "tryhard i gotta winnnnn"
At least in my opinion.
7 May 2015, 03:13 AM

Woah man, hold on a moment. I know it's easy to start questioning yourself after these brutal cold streaks, but ya gotta be doing that from a neutral and balanced view, I really feel your frustration, remember it's a game we play to enjoy and that anything with RNG means you can make the best plays and still lose, that doesn't that make you a bad player. Sometimes you just gotta hate the wizard of odds.

I'm going for a run, and will gladly review this when I return. Bearing in mind I tend to write essays. So, keep tight! I wouldn't be surprised if Australian Magic and/or Cookies, beats me to it. ;)

Don't worry about it dude, we're here to help! It's a process after all, remember all the hard work it took to get you here? Well, more is in store.

Cookies gives great advice too, play the faction you feel wipes the floor with you, it will help you gain some insight into their flow, help you with your timings and recognizing patterns, and maybe even give you some insight as to how to play the Wehr if you encounter something often that you don't often use/try.
7 May 2015, 03:14 AM

I once had a streak of -6,vs the old OKW as USF when I was almost top 200,fell all the way to 600,which absoulutely crushed my self esteem lol,I took it so hard...

Then I took a break from 1v1 for about a week,regathered myself,reevaluated my strategies,watched a TON of top player casts,and then won 7 in a row and got as high as 231 before losing a close one to a top 50.

Take a break from ostheer,maybe play another faction in that period,dont worry so much about winning,EVENTUALLY things will get back on track...youll start winning again....dont worry.

I know saying "dont worry about winning" is cliche but when you go into games not caring if you win or not you'll play WAY better than if you're going "tryhard i gotta winnnnn"
At least in my opinion.

;)

be as light as you can, a little pressure is good, it gets you going, but it can also consume you. it helps to keep unnecessary pressure and other distractors off you. don't worry about your rank so much: play on till you lose, the stones inside your shoes. :)
7 May 2015, 03:33 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ill give light feedback

early flamethrower on crossing in the woods instead of 222 upgrade when you already have a sniper? that basically sealed you against M20,so its not USF's fault,thats your fault for bad resource management.

So 222 upgrade was late as heck,you actually have more units than he does during mid game,you just stagnate. no counterattack.

Instead of early flamethrower you shouldve gotten early 222 upgrade and sweepers for M20 mines.

When sherman came you couldve had double pak wall with a puma.

I dont know if it was you I told this but ive said it before: 1v1 resource management is absoulutely crucial as ostheer. You gotta think about upgrades/units youre gonna buy ahead of time or you'll set yourself back too much.

7 May 2015, 04:41 AM

Ok, here we go. First, thanks for putting your play on display and wanting feedback. It can be tough to take criticism on the path to growth. So I hope you find my review both helpful, and not too harsh.

I’ll begin with a quick discussion about the map. Personally, I find it easier to assault the fuel on my opponent’s side of the river. That way my cut off isn’t as much of an issue, and it’s easier to stay compact, especially if you're on the south side when the enemy essentially has to get into range of units defending your munitions point if they want to go around to retake their fuel.

As the Wehrmacht, our goal is to achieve map presence by holding a munition point, a VP, and a fuel point. Hopefully that concentration of forces is in such a location where it can both do that, and dictate the pace of the play by contesting either their cut-off or another VP. So, for this reason, and another I will discuss later on in the review, I feel your sniper came way too early. You had not yet achieved the map presence to have a sustainable economy, which in its self can be a self fueling defeat engine considering our unit composition allows map control.

So now we are in a recurring situation where you’re cut off, and by the 3rd minute your opponent has 6x the amount of fuel coming in than you do, which is very troubling, perhaps the sniper MP may have been better invested in a bunker defending that cut off, or you could have nullified the situation by being more active cycling your forces, especially your MG around. Which unfortunately, wasn't used very efficiently. You didn't get the most equity you could have out of the most powerful tool in your arsenal, which was reduced to more of an anti-vp turret. A turret that was flanked and forced to retreat by the second time you managed to catch a rifle squad in its arch. I really think you gotta be more mobile and active here. This is also alludes to a very big issue...

Although you did a really fantastic job staying compact, letting your troops complement each other, minimizing loses, holding the ground you had, (unfortunately it was arguably the wrong ground) and even managing to force a retreat. At this point, this is the key moment and something that fails to happen throughout this game.

You didn’t counter attack.

You did not take the opportunity to hit back, creep forward and secure a little bit more of the map, secure that little extra bit of breathing room, and more importantly, dictate the tempo and location of the play, force the USF player to fight uphill into your great defensive setup.

Regrettably, by now the effects of your sniper are coming to fruition and that M20 has hit the field with a vengeance. I would have preferred to see a Pak40 here, your 221/2 has already come too late to make an impact and you are probably a little lucky your opponent did not decide on the M15 which would have really pushed you back without any AT to oppose it. Much like your strategic doctrine, this issue goes a little further back as well, and is clear in your Med bunker arriving at 16 minutes. That is far far too late, and isn’t giving you much equity, and really hurting your MP.

I think you can help yourself by coming in with a plan and build order and sticking to it, at least during the first 5 minutes of the game, leave the adaptation for when you have: the time, the information and the resources to do it. Again, I feel this manifests itself in your commander selection as well. I feel you quick fired on mobile defense and the puma + command tank, with no real plan of how you were going to use them effectively, or what role they were going to play, when as Cookies said, double Pak40’s and tellers could have stalled the Sherman, and if you were thinking of or had planned out just a little further ahead, you could have had a Tiger on the field to really send them reeling. Just always ask, how does this unit help me? Why am I building this? And always examine the options you have.

But at any rate, before the Sherman, things are sort of quiet, a few skirmishes the occasional cut-off here and there, and at the 13th minute, you forced another retreat. Well done! You also had a strong force on both flanks, so go for it! Counter attack! This is your chance to gain the map control you really need! To end the harassment on your cut off, but, it instead it was really disheartening to see that, you didn’t move. This point really needs to be reiterated for it's importance, you didn't take the chances to win the game.

Please excuse the rationalization, but I wonder if you’ve let these losses get to you, and as a result have played really timidly? Because, in the end, as far as I can tell you played really well, you were very mechanically sound, besides some planning mistakes, but it all fell apart strategically. I think the main issue is you were too passive. You hardly even reacted to the 4 times you were cut off, you gotta be able to hit back, and try to pick your spots where you can do some damage. This means you have to feel out what your opponent has on the field. Try counting rifleman, keeping track of them via vet, and really try and induct where your opponents forces are on the field. If you’ve just forced a retreat of 3 squads? Well, it’s likely that flank is open. Run into a fighting position and an RE squad? Perhaps the opponent has his army elsewhere, and is using this to defend the ground, punish it. Try poking a little more, try to keep your enemy off balance and again: dictate the tempo and more importantly, where the fights are happening. This gives you the best opportunity to setup, and really maximize the use of your support teams.

It's a really tough balance for the Axis, as a defensive faction you can be really powerful if you pick where and when to fight, but too defensively and you can turtle up and lose pretty easily.

Again, thanks again for sharing and I hope you find this feedback useful. Keep at it mon 'amie it'll come with experience. Oh and please feel free to critique my feedback. I'm always looking to improve as a writer.
7 May 2015, 06:50 AM

I don't know what's going on, I have gone from rank 800 wehr to 1700, I just don't know what to do. vs USF is crazy, equal number of superior squads and then they get another superior squad free for teching up and then get a powerful shock unit in the m20 straight after. I have tried every sort of opening from gren spam to double mgs and snipers and none of it seems to work, as soon as I get out a counter to one thing and start pushing back they come out with something else to put the pressure on.

Soviets are a bit better but i still struggle, even if I manage to push them back in the early game they seem to come back with callins like guards and 120mm mortars, they say they fixed the 120mm but I still get full hp gren squads wiped and even when I flank with pgrens they still get away with 1 or two men remaining because of the large squad size. guards needed a buff certainly but now they are just so cost effective with the alpha damage from ptrs meaning all it takes is one or two hits to turn an engagement in their favour. I'm really not having fun and I'm considering taking a bit of a break from the game, maybe wait and see if they are doing the alpha in waves because I'm just not having fun right now.

I can put up some replays if you guys want to have a look and critique what I'm doing wrong.

Apologies for wall of text

I think any serious Ostheer player realizes that Ostheer has serious problems. Not sure what relic is considering in their priorities....
7 May 2015, 07:06 AM

thanks for all the feedback, i have had some irl problems recently and have been having trouble concentrating. the game really is about adaption and my head simply hasn't been there to make good decisions, i find myself being stumped by my opponents strategy and just sitting there slowly losing to vps.

I completely agree, when i was at 800 i was playing at a level where the game goes beyond just micro and winning engagements, you need to consider the overall picture and make sure you are one step ahead of the enemy with counters because if your micro and game knowledge is both up to scratch then the guy with the better composition wins.

I have decided to still take a break though but i will make sure to take your advice and change my play when i decide to give it a go again.

p.s seriously though you guys give amazing feedback, straight to the point and really specific. Reply's like these are what keeps the community going, coh2 is a complex game with a steep learning curve and i don't think i would of managed to get to this far without the help from these forums.
7 May 2015, 17:23 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

thanks for all the feedback, i have had some irl problems recently and have been having trouble concentrating. the game really is about adaption and my head simply hasn't been there to make good decisions, i find myself being stumped by my opponents strategy and just sitting there slowly losing to vps.

I completely agree, when i was at 800 i was playing at a level where the game goes beyond just micro and winning engagements, you need to consider the overall picture and make sure you are one step ahead of the enemy with counters because if your micro and game knowledge is both up to scratch then the guy with the better composition wins.

I have decided to still take a break though but i will make sure to take your advice and change my play when i decide to give it a go again.

p.s seriously though you guys give amazing feedback, straight to the point and really specific. Reply's like these are what keeps the community going, coh2 is a complex game with a steep learning curve and i don't think i would of managed to get to this far without the help from these forums.

No problem,we love helping.
I hope whatever personal things you are going through iron themselves out.

7 May 2015, 22:21 PM

Hahaha, yeah. I swear my VP clock has way less sand than my opponents, every time xD that's why I emphasize territory and positioning.

It really makes me happy to hear that previous feedback has helped. Thanks a lot. I feel like I'm only following in the footsteps of the past, and hope to do as well as they did, and are doing.

I don't know what's going on, but having been in very seemingly hopeless and depressing situations in my life, I'm glad you've decided to take time away to be in the present and sort things out. I've learned growing up that health comes first. Especially spending as much as I do on the computer, it's easy to get lost and forget to look after yourself. xD

I'll be the first to send out an E-hug BRO. xD and just know that you're never alone.

take care duder.
13 May 2015, 10:23 AM

Good idea,take a break from ost.Right now its dark days for the faction,maybe things will improve.But as ostheer game is just not enjoyable and too unforgiving atm.
23 May 2015, 07:17 AM

Good idea,take a break from ost.Right now its dark days for the faction,maybe things will improve.But as ostheer game is just not enjoyable and too unforgiving atm.

I try to tell people. OST has it worse in 2v2. Not only I but I have seen legitimately good players lose to allies simply due to the fact allies both have better numbers and firepower.

The best so far I could come up with is

Gren Gren Gren Gren tier 1 Scout Car

If you want to know what I learned in 2v2 ... Always always always support where your teammate is going. Don't bother fighting 1v1, double team the enemy. Pray you get a OKW partner for better map control mid game. I use the doctrine with the supply truck and a tiger at the end.

Tiger's, I don't know if it's just me but they suck. Even a Tiger Ace couldn't win a 2v2 (obviously) in a top 2v2 game I watched. They are always overwhelmed by US and soviet tanks and get destroyed. I at MOST have 2 tigers and that costs a lot of resources.
23 May 2015, 07:41 AM

Mr. You are all wrong. Ost is in 2v2 probably the best faction to play with. The combined arms really works. You just have soo much choice
23 May 2015, 20:38 PM

Mr. You are all wrong. Ost is in 2v2 probably the best faction to play with. The combined arms really works. You just have soo much choice

I knew there would be differing opinions. But your statement doesn't match with the games I watch live in CoH2. You know two of your clan (soviets) beat two extremely good players (this is a long time ago) on semoisky even though they lost 9/10 engagements?

Yea, they eventually overwhelmed them because OST couldn't keep up with manpower losses and the fuckload of firepower. I just don't believe you, sorry. Not with all those katyusha's, tanks, guards, shocks and ZIS gun arty.
24 May 2015, 00:04 AM

You are correct that katushyas and stuff can rek you, but most of the engagements with ost are with tanks. In my eyes those are the most emportant. You can move your infantry easily.
27 May 2015, 02:45 AM

i speak from a 2v2 point of view. ost has no chance, 4 guys die quickly with those heat seeking 120mm mortars, not to mention spamming guards will be a classic tactic.

many games i hold the upper hand early game until the allies have enough troops to blow me away.

relic designed a too historically accurate game, lol
29 May 2015, 03:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2015, 02:45 AM1[][]
i speak from a 2v2 point of view. ost has no chance, 4 guys die quickly with those heat seeking 120mm mortars, not to mention spamming guards will be a classic tactic.

many games i hold the upper hand early game until the allies have enough troops to blow me away.

relic designed a too historically accurate game, lol

That is not historically accurate. Nonetheless playing with Ostheer now is tough. Soviet meta spam (ptrs, t34/85's, IS2) doesn't ruin the game, its the infinite call-ins of these units that do. Ostheer can't keep up with that bs.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 29
Germany 744
unknown 19
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L