Login

russian armor

The USF Choke hold

3 May 2015, 10:04 AM

kinda how i felt during this game.

So I just got slow rolled.

I ran into what was essentially a streamlined edition of the "In Before Blitz" strategy by Corp. Shepard in the guides section. Basic rifle heavy opening, forgoing the Cpt. silliness and calling up a Lt. into Maj. into Mortar Carriage, support provided by the AB. The magic happened with his use of a pathfinder squad throughout the game, parked either near my cut-off or the center VP. This allowed his Scott plopped on the opposite side of the center Langres hedge to have a field day, scoring 60+ kills, protected by two 57mm's, ouch.

and then eventually that happened and i was hooped.

Seriously, he was just so out of reach, I couldn't touch him. The constant pressure provided really bled my attention and eventually my squads, it was like punching a wall. I didn't choose a doctrine until the dying embers of the game when I needed mg34's just to stay relevant. Never a good sign. Perhaps earlier MG's may have helped here? Or perhaps even a Jagdtiger to deal with armor and allow myself room to at least finally get on my front foot. I'm still scratching my head. Anyone willing to help me brainstorm some solutions? Ostwind before ATG?

3 May 2015, 15:08 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

you should try jagdpanzer and then shooting through the hedges with Attack ground on the Scott's?

I usually move my 60 range AT weapon onto that red cover road and just shoot thru the hedges at the Scott's and tanks parked covering the middle VP, and basically try to decap and contest the VP as much as possible while stalling for KT. LELIG to scare AT guns.

Also try fortifications: shuts down this strat on maps like this. They have NO off map to destroy the pak,which means they can't use their Scott's around middle VP either. So you can just sit on the two VP into KT.

besides a direct armored rush(which they can't do with so many Scott'sand half and half map control),they're helpless until you get a KT And roll Over them.

Now recon support pathfinders would be a bitch.
3 May 2015, 16:40 PM

you should try jagdpanzer and then shooting through the hedges with Attack ground on the Scott's?

I usually move my 60 range AT weapon onto that red cover road and just shoot thru the hedges at the Scott's and tanks parked covering the middle VP, and basically try to decap and contest the VP as much as possible while stalling for KT. LELIG to scare AT guns.

Also try fortifications: shuts down this strat on maps like this. They have NO off map to destroy the pak,which means they can't use their Scott's around middle VP either. So you can just sit on the two VP into KT.

besides a direct armored rush(which they can't do with so many Scott'sand half and half map control),they're helpless until you get a KT And roll Over them.

Now recon support pathfinders would be a bitch.

mmm! thank you cookies. i can never determine when it would be best to get a JP4 over a Panther, and always seem to make the wrong choice. xD

my build against the soviets looks something like:

3 volks,
battlegruppe
volks + leig
schwerer
luchs,

this doesn't realllly work as well against the USF however, with their light vehicle timing. would it be a good idea to try mechreg against them? instead of the schwerer, going battlegruppe and then JP4?

and yeah, those pathfinders? maybe i was overlooking something, but damn if okw don't have a sort of sniper counter. a vetted luchs, can at least skulk around, but i find the okw don't like it when you cloak on them.... although, i'm shaking my head if the counter to this would have been JP4, IRHT...
3 May 2015, 16:50 PM

mmm! thank you cookies. i can never determine when it would be best to get a JP4 over a Panther, and always seem to make the wrong choice. xD

my build against the soviets looks something like:

3 volks,
battlegruppe
volks + leig
schwerer
luchs,

this doesn't realllly work as well against the USF however, with their light vehicle timing. would it be a good idea to try mechreg against them? instead of the schwerer, going battlegruppe and then JP4?

4 volks into leig is waayy too few infantry units. You want to get alot of infantry as OKW , esp againts USF. Something like 4 volks + 3 jagers. Or 4 vollks + 2-3 mg-34s, and get 1-2 falls later on, or 4 volks into 2-3 panzerfusilliers. Obers are still good if you rush the shwerer, just need to save up for some munitions which can definately be a bit tricky since most USF players go M20 or AA HT or stuart. So getting a raketenwerfer and saving up munis for obers might be a good idea. LEIG is not a unit that you get something every game in a strict BO sense.

Mech REG is an excellent choice as OKW vs USF, they really struggle to counter the flak HT/puma esp if they go lieut tier. That said it is fairly micro intensive as losing even 1 vehicle can often lose you the game. But generally, if you do opt for a mechanized regiment HQ, then it is a good idea to rush kubel + sturmpios to his cutoff. Due to the way OKW fuel income works, it is signficantly more efficent to have your opponent cutoff rather than capping with your sturmpiooners. That's generally how OKW sturmpioneers are supposed to be used, because of their high unit cost capping with them is generlaly a mistake.
3 May 2015, 16:51 PM

i was just thinking too. i usually avoid spec ops, i could utilize the CPV to bridge a gap into KT, or give me that mobile edge.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 May 2015, 16:50 PMBurts

4 volks into leig is waayy too few infantry units. You want to get alot of infantry as OKW , esp againts USF. Something like 4 volks + 3 jagers. Or 4 vollks + 2-3 mg-34s, and get 1-2 falls later on, or 4 volks into 2-3 panzerfusilliers. Obers are still good if you rush the shwerer, just need to save up for some munitions which can definately be a bit tricky since most USF players go M20 or AA HT or stuart. So getting a raketenwerfer and saving up munis for obers might be a good idea. LEIG is not a unit that you get something every game in a strict BO sense.

I wasn't aware beating the USF by volume was possible. I'm pretty sure I was floating fairly bad around 11 minutes as well, and opted for an extra pupchen to deal with a sherman which never materialized.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 May 2015, 16:50 PMBurts

Mech REG is an excellent choice as OKW vs USF, they really struggle to counter the flak HT/puma esp if they go lieut tier. That said it is fairly micro intensive as losing even 1 vehicle can often lose you the game. But generally, if you do opt for a mechanized regiment HQ, then it is a good idea to rush kubel + sturmpios to his cutoff. Due to the way OKW fuel income works, it is signficantly more efficent to have your opponent cutoff rather than capping with your sturmpiooners. That's generally how OKW sturmpioneers are supposed to be used, because of their high unit cost capping with them is generlaly a mistake.

ok, yeah. i used to play each faction like i would OKW on crossing in the woods, hammer that cut off, w/kubel, i definitely got away from doing that as much against the soviets, and thusly have been a little spooked about trying it against the USF, maybe I oughta get back to that, although south side Langres woulda been a pain.
12 May 2015, 16:15 PM

I think Scotts are one of USA's most important units when used well. However you have to remember they are useless upfront in a fight.

When facing this as Werh, I spammed P4s keeping them back, when I had 3 with MGs and some added vet from Elite troops, I charged the ATGs from multiple directions and used smoke on whichever P4 took a beating to keep it alive.

Its not easy for the ATGs to stand up to, and the American lacks propper armour to reppel the push, or strong AT infantry (like Rangers), then the scotts will be easy pickings.

AT vehicles like Panthers or JP4 cant do this because they lack the AI to kill the ATGs in time and they are fewer in number to medium tank spam, so easier for the ATGs to target.

Obviously infantry or support weapons cant get close thanks to the Scotts.

So as OKW, this tactic would only be acheivable with P4 call in (probably unrealistic?), perhaps Luchs spam? Dunno how that would go :s

Or you could go 2x Stuka, given he has nothing to chase them down with, only static AT. Attempt to vaporize the ATGs and grab a puma to hunt scotts?

So basically, light mobile armour, try to counter the ATGs without taking too many losses. Thats the Americans weakness, the way I see it.
21 May 2015, 02:24 AM

I did not watch the game. I am just wondering why you didnt buld any obers?
21 May 2015, 02:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2015, 02:24 AMTheWolf

i had 2. i think.
21 May 2015, 14:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2015, 02:24 AMTheWolf

Dude, you can even see Ober's icon in top right corner of the screenshot :P
21 May 2015, 14:32 PM

Scott won a game? sure i made a post about that somewhere :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment