Login

russian armor

Which WWII Officer/General is your role model?

5 May 2015, 12:56 PM

Wrong

Sigh. A general might be responsible for training and leading his men and at the higher levels shaping the armed forces in general to the best of his abilites, but national scale resource allocation, industry, etc, is usually not understood to be his portfolio, you know...at the end of the day, unless you live under a military junta, the generals take orders from the politicians and not vice versa.

That said, even in the German tradition, you had the duo of Hindenburg/Luddendorff more or less running the country during the latter stages of WW1, but that was an explicit failure of the political echelon more than everything.
5 May 2015, 13:35 PM

+1 there are also recent biography by Parker and there is a new (german)book coming too, which have a negative view. A positive view is in "Order in Chaos" by Pz General Balck, who commanded 48 PzK in the Ukraine and calls Peiper courageous. Then there is the neo-nazi Agte book about Peiper. He gets books written about him due to the his massacres of pows/civilians, not much due to his undistinguished battalion/regimental leadership.

As an leader at this level, he comes across as below average at the regimental level and middling at the battalion level during WW2. The SSLAH, which was Hitler's bodyguard, was a middling armored division in 43-45- not bad but not the best in the German arsenal either and he played a role in it.

To cut a very long story short, Peiper was a very disturbing character even by the standards of the SS....

As for his leadership and tactical qualification, he undoubtedly eventually became a skilled SPW bataillon leader, gaining a number of significant successes especially with night attacks on the Eastern Front. However, when he assumed command of the Leibstandarte tank regiment, his limitations became obvious as he had no experience or training in handling tank formations and reputedly proved little tactical adroit. In consequence, lossess soared to completely unacceptable levels, making him quite unpopular with both his men and his fellow commanders.
5 May 2015, 13:49 PM

I think nobody ever disputed Peiper had serious balls, or charisma for that matter. He tended to be well, edgy, at times, but seems to have been a reasonably pleaseant character in day to day interactions otherwise. However, if you see no issue in deliberately killing PoWs time after time (especially if you are doing so wholly on your own initiative, he did not even have the excuse of being ordered to), I think that matters little in the grand scheme of things. Interestingly, he seems to have adopted that policy after reading a book on Genghis Khan which was required literature at the Junkerschule, the intent being apparently to sow terror, believing if he build enough of a "reputation" the Soviets would take to their heels if his bataillon showed up on the horizon...

Agte, well. Little if any actual scholarship, and an obvious political agenda...
5 May 2015, 14:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Sigh.

Neither Rommel not Montgomery fought in a vacuum, both had to deal with politics and pressures and lobby for resource allocation, albeit in different ways.

Montgomery had to deal with Churchill wanting him to move before he was ready and bolstering the morale and training of an army that had been kicked around. In this he was entirely successful.

Rommel was given an economy of force mission and chose to exceed his orders in an attempt to win a victory and suck an ever-increasing amount of Axis effort into a peripheral theatre where victory, even if possible, could never be decisive and at the cost of weakening the Axis effort in the Eastern Front where the war was going to be decided*.

To argue that generalship consists purely of the narrow technical business of defeating the enemy in front of you with the resources you happen to have been allocated is myopic, and also the same attitude displayed the German Generals in both world wars. This wins them lots of battles and gets them lots of fanboys but doesn't win wars.

* It was good for Rommel that he got sent to North Africa, as he got to indulge his insubordination in a peripheral theatre without too much oversight. His reputation also gets bolstered as he kicked the British around and fought the Americans in the only ETO theatre that either had at the time. That doesn't make him the best man for the job. Had Paulus gone instead that would have been very different.

If he had gone to Russia he's going to be under considerable oversight and he might not even last until the winter before being fired.

5 May 2015, 14:51 PM

I am more interested in is military effectiveness as 1.SSLAH played major roles in late war operations. The rest I couldn't care less for. Pz General Balck wrote a high opinion on the 1.SS's, military effectiveness in the Ukraine 43/44..including the Pz Regiment. This is the opposite of the Jens W. narrative. The Parker/Jens books are opinionated themselves- they both clearly find the man morbid and their research is spun in that direction. The Parker book has little substance about military operations. I dislike the genre of biography and personality crafting as there is too much speculation in it with the Parker book being very "elaborate" in discussing his personal life. All in all, he is not really worth the attention that has been placed on him- just another SS criminal.

Interestingly, he seems to have adopted that policy after reading a book on Genghis Khan which was required literature at the Junkerschule, the intent being apparently to sow terror, believing if he build enough of a "reputation" the Soviets would take to their heels if his bataillon showed up on the horizon...

Agte, well. Little if any actual scholarship, and an obvious political agenda...
5 May 2015, 18:01 PM

I'll adress this en detail. My comments in bold.

Neither Rommel not Montgomery fought in a vacuum, both had to deal with politics and pressures and lobby for resource allocation, albeit in different ways.
True but trivial. What matter is not what they both necessarily had to do, but what obstacles they had to overcome, what problems they had to contend with, respectively. The hurdles encountered by Montgomery, both economical and political, were literally negligible in comparison to the ones facing Rommel. At no point during the campaign did Montgomery or any of his predecessors not operate from a position of considerably greater strength, through little effort of their own if I may add. This is literally the elephant in the room and I don't see how it can possibly be plausibly ignored.
Montgomery had to deal with Churchill wanting him to move before he was ready and bolstering the morale and training of an army that had been kicked around. In this he was entirely successful.

Rommel was given an economy of force mission and chose to exceed his orders in an attempt to win a victory and suck an ever-increasing amount of Axis effort into a peripheral theatre where victory, even if possible, could never be decisive and at the cost of weakening the Axis effort in the Eastern Front where the war was going to be decided*.
Rommels' was an economy of force mission alright, however, the Italians had different plans to start with, if only because it was their main theater of operations, and they had been kicked around so resoundingly they perceived IMHO correctly they were in dire need of operational success to gain prestige at the home front lest all remaining support for the war effort crumbled. Not to mention, what was the alternative in strategic terms? The British would only ever get relatively stronger, and if you look at the North African map and how the campaign was conducted, how could Rommel possibly hope to conduct a strategic defense or spoiling campaign, what terrain features could he possibly hope to hinge these on? The Cyrenaika? What would you have him do? Hunker down in Tobruk? How did that work out for the South Africans? The point I am making is not that his strong instinct to go on the offensive result necessarily in the better course of action, just that he was between a rock and a hard place to start with, while his opponents were not...

To argue that generalship consists purely of the narrow technical business of defeating the enemy in front of you with the resources you happen to have been allocated is myopic, and also the same attitude displayed the German Generals in both world wars. This wins them lots of battles and gets them lots of fanboys but doesn't win wars.
First off, there are obviously different echelons of generalship. Commanding a division or even an Army Corps is a very different business than conducting grand strategy. Secondly, what do you make of the already mentioned Hindenburg/Ludendorff? They seem to contradict your verdict entirely, as do people like Beck or Fritsch or Blomberg who, being at the highest echelons of military commanded, actively tried to dissuade the leadership from its aggressive course and even plotted to kill their CiC when they realised he was not to be reasoned with, who in short, were being politicians in every sense of the word?
To conclude: What lost the Germans both the first and the second world wars at the moment they started, were not at least primarily deficits in either their command cultures or their generalship, or a lack of military efficiency for that matter, as evidenced by the duration of the conflict. By far the largest factor in the German defeat was the entirely political decision, made by politicians, to go to war with half the world at the same time.

* It was good for Rommel that he got sent to North Africa, as he got to indulge his insubordination in a peripheral theatre without too much oversight. His reputation also gets bolstered as he kicked the British around and fought the Americans in the only ETO theatre that either had at the time. That doesn't make him the best man for the job. Had Paulus gone instead that would have been very different.

Meh, strikes me as petty character assassination coupled with ignorance of German military matters, no offence.
What you call "insubordination", aka, taking the initiative and exceeding or even contradicting orders when they were not appropriate, was actively encouraged in the German tradition, and it paid them more dividends than it ever damaged them as evidenced ie. during Fall Gelb. Of course later on with the more Soviet style, late war centralised command culture, where shortening a front for more than 500 meters required a written approval from the GröFaz himself, German military fortunes soared. And yes, I am being sarcastic.
Paulus did not possess the courage to stand up to Hitler and shorten his fronts when dangerously overextended, and then even worse not make a breakout effort against his own better judgement sealing the fate of an entire army. In his defence, he did not kill himself, spoiling Hitlers bizarre craving for some Götterdämmerung narrative at the expense of his soldiery... still, how do you think would he have managed the inevitable retreat from the African theater?

5 May 2015, 18:13 PM

I am more interested in is military effectiveness as 1.SSLAH played major roles in late war operations. The rest I couldn't care less for. Pz General Balck wrote a high opinion on the 1.SS's, military effectiveness in the Ukraine 43/44..including the Pz Regiment. This is the opposite of the Jens W. narrative. The Parker/Jens books are opinionated themselves- they both clearly find the man morbid and their research is spun in that direction. The Parker book has little substance about military operations. I dislike the genre of biography and personality crafting as there is too much speculation in it with the Parker book being very "elaborate" in discussing his personal life. All in all, he is not really worth the attention that has been placed on him- just another SS criminal.

Do you speak German? There was a recent lengthy exchange between Westemeier and Roman Töppel of MGFA fame on just that matter, plus the proceedings of the symposion the W-SS have recently been touched upon where the question of its military efficiency during the Kursk operation was discussed at some length, and might be of interest to you. In my opinion, it appears that LSSAH and indeed the entire II. SS-Panzerkorps were at the peak of their efficiency through 1943 and spring 1944 until their losses in the Ukraine became too severe, and that in this timeframe, they were at least the equal of comparable Heer formations including GD. Afterwards, their showings appear much more indifferent.
Personally, I think that Westemeiers personal dislike for Peiper, however understandable, sometimes indeed gets the better of his judgement when it comes to the latters strictly military performance, however, I find his case for Peipers ineptitude in handling tank formations quite convincing, as he brings up quite a number of primary sources showing Peiper in a rather unfavourable light.
I haven't read Balcks account or at least I can't recall, could you post a source?
5 May 2015, 20:12 PM

As to Jochen Peiper, there is a fairly recent biographical dissertation (2014) on him from Jens Westemeier which I would urge reading. A few things:
Peiper was in deep with the Nazi hierarchy, he had been Himmlers adjutant and had explicit knowledge of Aktion T4 and later the Shoah. Heck, his own brother was very likely murdered in T4 but that seems not to have overly disturbed him, and I could go on here. While he has gained some notoriety for Malmedy, where, while having command responsibility, he quite likely did not play any direct role btw, he demonstrably had PoWs murdered in cold blood by the hundreds as a matter of policy over several months on the Eastern Front, to the point where that alarmed his own peers and superiors. To cut a very long story short, Peiper was a very disturbing character even by the standards of the SS....

As for his leadership and tactical qualification, he undoubtedly eventually became a skilled SPW bataillon leader, gaining a number of significant successes especially with night attacks on the Eastern Front. However, when he assumed command of the Leibstandarte tank regiment, his limitations became obvious as he had no experience or training in handling tank formations and reputedly proved little tactical adroit. In consequence, lossess soared to completely unacceptable levels, making him quite unpopular with both his men and his fellow commanders.

I read that. I agree with the assessment that he was in fact a disturbed individual (Dare I propose on the brink of having been incoherently brainwashed?). However, I think he was a brilliant small unit tactics. His rescue of the 320th Infantry Division an example of such. I disagree with him not handling his Tank regiment well for it was decimated on the Western Front while he was suffering from a mental breakdown (Shell Shock? though they diagnosed it as something else). After its decimation he was left with a Kampfgruppen not a Regiment and thus operated successfully (to a degree) before eventually being stalled during December '44. He was unpopular with Wehr Officers maybe but his men loved him and so did fellow SS officers.....Himmler was great friends with him.
5 May 2015, 21:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

True but trivial. What matter is not what they both necessarily had to do, but what obstacles they had to overcome, what problems they had to contend with, respectively. The hurdles encountered by Montgomery, both economical and political, were literally negligible in comparison to the ones facing Rommel. At no point during the campaign did Montgomery or any of his predecessors not operate from a position of considerably greater strength, through little effort of their own if I may add. This is literally the elephant in the room and I don't see how it can possibly be plausibly ignored.

Even if I were to accept that "At no point during the campaign did Montgomery or any of his predecessors not operate from a position of considerably greater strength" , which I don't, the fact would remain that everybody before Montgomery didn't beat Rommel.

You'd be underestimating the pressure Montgomery has on him:

He is the British General commanding the only British land effort against the Germans and everyone of his predecessors has failed.

Not to mention, what was the alternative in strategic terms?

Base off Tripoli, hit the British as he does initially while they off balance. Don't try and push into Egypt but keep mobile in the desert - fall back onto your own lines if necessary and let logistics work against the British. Don't get sucked into a set piece battle that plays to British strengths when you are at the end of a tenuous supply line and they are not.

Italian glory is not Germany's problem and nothing you achieve in North Africa will help you if you don't beat the Soviets. Every truck, plane and tank that goes to Africa takes away from that.

Secondly, what do you make of the already mentioned Hindenburg/Ludendorff? They seem to contradict your verdict entirely, as do people like Beck or Fritsch or Blomberg who, being at the highest echelons of military commanded, actively tried to dissuade the leadership from its aggressive course and even plotted to kill their CiC when they realised he was not to be reasoned with, who in short, were being politicians in every sense of the word?

H&L's record as German leaders is terrible, and rather than take responsibility for their failure they bought wholeheartedly into the "stab in the back" myth.

Both Fritsch nor Blomberg are conspired against, not conspirators.

Beck is regrettably an almost unique case.

More later
5 May 2015, 23:51 PM

Even if I were to accept that "At no point during the campaign did Montgomery or any of his predecessors not operate from a position of considerably greater strength" , which I don't, the fact would remain that everybody before Montgomery didn't beat Rommel.
That might just have been because Rommel was not all that comically inept as you make him out to be.
Also, I don't see why you would not accept the premise. I don't recall any situation after the success of Compass/arrival of the DAK where the Allies did not possess an overall favourable manpower/AFV/logistics heck anything situation.

You'd be underestimating the pressure Montgomery has on him:

He is the British General commanding the only British land effort against the Germans and everyone of his predecessors has failed.
I dont underestimate the pressure on him in the least. However, there are perks to soldiering in a democratic nation. If he had failed, his professional reputation (which he so jealously guarded) might have somewhat suffered, and/or the court of public opinion (which he pandered to even more) might have ripped him a new one for being the n-th general to not succeed against the much mystified Rommel.
In the so-called Third Reich however, leaders who found themselves in an unsalvageable situation were, somewhat literally, expected to fall upon their swords, a fate, that as you might recall befell a certain Friedrich Paulus come spring 1943. And if their was a whiff of disloyalty, your decision to put your pistol in your mouth might just be helped along by threatening to kill your family, as just so happened to Rommel; and Rommel had been a personal favourite of Hitler and a darling of the German propaganda effort to boot.
Just to, as they say, keep it real, when it comes to the notion of pressure.

Base off Tripoli, hit the British as he does initially while they off balance. Don't try and push into Egypt but keep mobile in the desert - fall back onto your own lines if necessary and let logistics work against the British. Don't get sucked into a set piece battle that plays to British strengths when you are at the end of a tenuous supply line and they are not.
Oh yes, with the benefit of historical hindsight I agree that the push on Egypt was certainly a mistake. However, how much time would that have bought? With the strategical situation being as it was, Malta remaining in British hands, and the weight of the US making itself felt? Two months? Three at the most? Yes, Rommel obviously commits mistakes (and El-Alamein was not his first one either), but so does ie. Montgomery, not to mention his predecessors. Why does Montgomery allow DAK to escape in the first place? The campaign might have easily been over then and there, he had the resources, the reserves, and ample capacity to interdict aerially. On balance, what made Rommel become so lionised was that he simply continued to archieve much with little, whereas his opponents did not.

Italian glory is not Germany's problem and nothing you achieve in North Africa will help you if you don't beat the Soviets. Every truck, plane and tank that goes to Africa takes away from that.
True, but did you not (IMHO rightly so) bemoan a German lack of perceptiveness for the political desiderata of coalition warfare? Italian glory is very much Germany's problem when you have Commando Supremo breathing down your neck, not to mention the question of the overall strategic balance. What is the worth of an ongoing actual Italian war effort compared to 2 armoured divisions worth of supply and logistics? Strikes me as a difficult question to answer.

H&L's record as German leaders is terrible, and rather than take responsibility for their failure they bought wholeheartedly into the "stab in the back" myth.
Was it? At what level if I may ask, and compared to whom exactly? Their operational performance and strategic dispositions strike me as certainly fairly sound, and sometimes outright spectacular, their major mistake at the political level obviously being not pushing for negotiated peace when it still might have been within reach. The fact that Ludendorff was a dishonest Schmuck should not cloud our ability to assess his operational, strategical, or economical merits for what they were.

Both Fritsch nor Blomberg are conspired against, not conspirators.

Beck is regrettably an almost unique case.

More later
7 May 2015, 00:05 AM

For the Axis and all time I would have to say Gerd von Rundstedt is the greatest general in history which is just my own opinion. For the Allies I particularly like Sir Harold Alexander...definitely better than Monty that's for sure but Monty kept his Troops confident and maintained fitness levels amongst them when they started getting lazy.

Patton was a blow-hard and he kept out running his supply lines but he was considered the greatest general in US history for a reason and he had the whole "Old blood and guts" title of his.

I forget the name of the guy whom held back operation goodwood...
7 May 2015, 02:58 AM

Yea, sure, link? Nope, but I can use a translator if it is on a link.

Balck, "Order in Chaos" (his memoir), Mellanthin, "Panzer Battles"

The SSLAH was training most of 1942' and Peiper was only SPW co for a couple of weeks which makes the claim of him being a super-SPW commander suspect. I am familiar with the soviet wintercounteroffensive 42-43. Nothing I have read of Peiper or 1.SSLAH did was out of the ordinary- it did fine but wasn't a crazily effective unit like some of the army units during the same era. I also don't have an opinion if he is correct or he is spinning regarding Ukraine 43/44. 1.SSLAH did not seem like a failure in Ukraine 43/44 tactically; it was part of a FUBAR operation- retake Kiev with a panzer strong but infantry weak force. The results were heavy equipment losses inflicted on 1.UKF but weak manpower damage and weak territorial gains.

I agree, the SSLAH took many beatings and was weak by the Korsun pocket- where it fought yet again, and was burnt down to a cinder shortly afterwards. It was never trained properly for the rest of the war, with many poorly trained personnel being lost. The irony was that Hitler relied more and more on it and GD (which won more of his love during the July plot), his two guards units even though the SSLAH was a fought out outfit. In late 44', he authorized the PzK GD, which watered down GD and turned it for a larger, but pound for pound lower quality korps.

Do you speak German? There was a recent lengthy exchange between Westemeier and Roman Töppel of MGFA fame on just that matter, plus the proceedings of the symposion the W-SS have recently been touched upon where the question of its military efficiency during the Kursk operation was discussed at some length, and might be of interest to you. In my opinion, it appears that LSSAH and indeed the entire II. SS-Panzerkorps were at the peak of their efficiency through 1943 and spring 1944 until their losses in the Ukraine became too severe, and that in this timeframe, they were at least the equal of comparable Heer formations including GD. Afterwards, their showings appear much more indifferent.
Personally, I think that Westemeiers personal dislike for Peiper, however understandable, sometimes indeed gets the better of his judgement when it comes to the latters strictly military performance, however, I find his case for Peipers ineptitude in handling tank formations quite convincing, as he brings up quite a number of primary sources showing Peiper in a rather unfavourable light.
I haven't read Balcks account or at least I can't recall, could you post a source?
7 May 2015, 06:29 AM

Whats sad about Joachim Peiper is when he was an old man well past his war crime days, he was assassinated in a bombing. He had a really rough life after WWII, no one wanted to hire him because he was considered a Nazi War Criminal who got off too lightly. He couldn't even work a job as an executive at Porsche without members of the public heavily protesting the company.

Also he wasn't universally horrible towards Prisoners of War despite the Malmedy massacre. A United States Officer who's unit was captured by Joachim Peiper's described his treatment under him.

However, Lieutenant Colonel Hal McCown, commander of the 2nd Battalion 119 Infantry Regiment, testified about the treatment his unit was given after being captured on 21 December by Peiper's Kampfgruppe at Froidcour between La Gleize and Stoumont. McCown said he met Peiper in person and based on his observations, American prisoners were at no time mistreated by the SS and the food given to them was nearly as good as that used by the Germans themselves.[90]

I read a book by Eisenhowers son on the Battle of the Bulge with Joachim Peiper as a key figure in the book, and it made Joachim Peiper, if not for the Malmedy massacre, very hospitable, cordial and caring of his American POW's, probably under the reports of the same Officer as this Hal McCown guy (My book got destroyed in a flood so I can't find it).

Despite the Malmedy massacre, American and British troops received far better treatment at the hands of their captors than the Russians did.

In Hurtgen Forest, after the Germans had kicked the Americans asses, the American medics, and German medics negotiated a truce so all the medical professionals for both armies could work on the wounded together. The German medics saved a lot of American lives that day, despite winning the battle.
7 May 2015, 07:49 AM

I can't really speak to the atmosphere at the time, but I suspect there may have been some prejudice towards the Soviets which American or British forces may not have received past 1943.
7 May 2015, 13:24 PM

This is actually wrong (Parker's bio goes into it). You seem to be parroting the neo-nazi version of Peiper. There is hard evidence that he ordered an American POW killed right in front of him. His command of KG Peiper was a big fail and his force only lasted over a week before being wiped out with most of men casualties. You may be forgetting that many SS wounded were with the Americans, and Peiper had good reason to radically alter his behavior. Peiper, although he was a convicted criminal & mass murderer of civilians and Soviet/American pows, had many friends in the SS that hooked him up with a good job after prison and it can be said that he was a "upper middle class" and then actually a well-off man who lived in a villa.

As far as his death, there is evidence that he severely depressed and then committed suicide. Get the Parker book if you are interested in the man.

7 May 2015, 18:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge

That might just have been because Rommel was not all that comically inept as you make him out to be.
Also, I don't see why you would not accept the premise. I don't recall any situation after the success of Compass/arrival of the DAK where the Allies did not possess an overall favourable manpower/AFV/logistics heck anything situation.

I wouldn't describe him as inept; just that his reputation is slightly overblown because of his career spent entirely fighting the WAllies.

Upon arrival in Africa there's only worn out and green units facing him, all the veterans are either refitting or in Greece

In the so-called Third Reich however, leaders who found themselves in an unsalvageable situation were, somewhat literally, expected to fall upon their swords, a fate, that as you might recall befell a certain Friedrich Paulus come spring 1943. And if their was a whiff of disloyalty, your decision to put your pistol in your mouth might just be helped along by threatening to kill your family, as just so happened to Rommel; and Rommel had been a personal favourite of Hitler and a darling of the German propaganda effort to boot.
Just to, as they say, keep it real, when it comes to the notion of pressure.

Hitler didn't shoot people for failing him, until maybe right at the end, plotting against him, that's a different matter. Guderian came back after being dismissed in 1941 and Rundstedt got fired and rehired how many times again?

Paulus was promoted to Field Marshal in the expectation that he would kill himself rather than surrender; but I am far from convinced that it Hitler's mind that was punishment for failure, more an opportunity to achieve immortality in the Nazi pantheon.

Oh yes, with the benefit of historical hindsight I agree that the push on Egypt was certainly a mistake. However, how much time would that have bought? With the strategical situation being as it was, Malta remaining in British hands, and the weight of the US making itself felt? Two months? Three at the most?

I'm not unconvinced that under different leadership and more conservative decisions the African Theatre could not have been kept going into 1944, or at least long enough that Sicily doesn't happen until in 1943. If that happens, then it doesn't happen at all because Overlord will take priority.

The Italians lack mobility and finesse, but they are reliable enough in static and defensive warfare. As it stands their best units get bled out or captured for lack of transport and cannot be replaced. With more care they can be kept around.

Why does Montgomery allow DAK to escape in the first place?

It's a lot easier to retreat down your supply route than advance away from it blazing a new one.

True, but did you not (IMHO rightly so) bemoan a German lack of perceptiveness for the political desiderata of coalition warfare? Italian glory is very much Germany's problem when you have Commando Supremo breathing down your neck, not to mention the question of the overall strategic balance. What is the worth of an ongoing actual Italian war effort compared to 2 armoured divisions worth of supply and logistics? Strikes me as a difficult question to answer.

Italians stay in the war after the loss of East Africa, and then again after Libya. It takes Sicily for Mussolini to fall.

To add into that balance you need to include:

It takes as many trucks to supply North Africa as it does an entire AG in Russia.

Include that Germany is supplying the Italians with all their fuel and the air power involved

Germany is not even necessarily better off with Italy in the war

7 May 2015, 18:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Meh, strikes me as petty character assassination coupled with ignorance of German military matters, no offence.
What you call "insubordination", aka, taking the initiative and exceeding or even contradicting orders when they were not appropriate, was actively encouraged in the German tradition, and it paid them more dividends than it ever damaged them as evidenced ie. during Fall Gelb. Of course later on with the more Soviet style, late war centralised command culture, where shortening a front for more than 500 meters required a written approval from the GröFaz himself, German military fortunes soared. And yes, I am being sarcastic.
Paulus did not possess the courage to stand up to Hitler and shorten his fronts when dangerously overextended, and then even worse not make a breakout effort against his own better judgement sealing the fate of an entire army. In his defence, he did not kill himself, spoiling Hitlers bizarre craving for some Götterdämmerung narrative at the expense of his soldiery... still, how do you think would he have managed the inevitable retreat from the African theater?

No, I'm aware of the German tradition of command.

Thing is though German doctrine is descended from Prussian, and a realisation that Prussia will lose battles of attrition and must fight short and decisive wars. This works very well for FdG in Austrian Succession, it goes terribly wrong in The Seven Years War and post unification is vindicated in 1864, 1866 and 1870.

Unfortunately it leads the Germans down the wrong path in both World Wars were France isn't knocked out in a single campaign, and while it works well in 1939 and 1940 it goes completely off the rails in 1941. Clarke's account of Barbarossa is somewhat dated now, but his account of the German Generals intriguing during 1941 to get the Panzer divisions and supply for their own pet projects remains.

There is something to be said for the verdict that a key Allied Secret Weapon is the planning Committee, which allows things like Overlord to be planned and agreed upon then everyone puts forward their best effort (even Churchill)

The German Army doesn't take strategic decisions like that anyway, everyone is competing for their own pet project. It becomes even worse when coupled with what passes for Nazi Organisational Theory on top of it, which makes a positive virtue of infighting.

Basically Germans are very good at winning battles, not so hot at deciding which battles should be fought and terrible at winning wars.

Rommel's career pretty much exemplifies that
7 May 2015, 18:36 PM

This is actually wrong (Parker's bio goes into it). You seem to be parroting the neo-nazi version of Peiper. There is hard evidence that he ordered an American POW killed right in front of him. His command of KG Peiper was a big fail and his force only lasted over a week before being wiped out with most of men casualties. You may be forgetting that many SS wounded were with the Americans, and Peiper had good reason to radically alter his behavior. Peiper, although he was a convicted criminal & mass murderer of civilians and Soviet/American pows, had many friends in the SS that hooked him up with a good job after prison and it can be said that he was a "upper middle class" and then actually a well-off man who lived in a villa.

As far as his death, there is evidence that he severely depressed and then committed suicide. Get the Parker book if you are interested in the man.

You my friend are skewing history a bit with your own perceptions and perceived truths. There was no HARD evidence that linked Peiper to the massacres, thus why he was not Killed but rather served shortened sentence. His command of KG Peiper came on the heels of the distruction of the unit(Prior to being made a KG) while he was getting mediacal treatment. Furthermore He was hooked up with a job AFTER being pushed out of Porsche by an old SS MECHANIC Friend, not the normal SS Officers whom he had associated with during the war. He was well off because of his executive skills and ability to rise through the ranks.

I feel that both sides of the fence skew the truth that surrounds Pieper. He was a charismatic leader that also was skilled in playing the political game as well as the war game. He knew how to lead men and suck up to them. In the end my PERSONAL Opinion was that he was a skilled leader that had been brainwashed into the Nazi Ideology since childhood. However, I feel that there were much better officers to serve in the German military than him and that there is a sense of "AWE" that follows his name because of the Propaganda that was put forth by all sides.
7 May 2015, 18:43 PM

Basically Germans are very good at winning battles, not so hot at deciding which battles should be fought and terrible at winning wars.

I could not have said it better Voort. The Prussian order of war was to win large massive battles that tip the war in their favor so as to end it quickly. Germany (Prussia) was a nation surrounded by nations and has no where to fall back to (in a manner of speaking). They did not have the capacity to stand a long war. This is why they were so successful up until 1941 for Russia was not to be a quick battle like the others. To understand the German/Prussian mindset Clausewitz "On War" is not a bad peak into the Prussian order that is the root of even modern German Military.
7 May 2015, 18:53 PM

I think you should get the two Parker book (s). Overall, I find him an insignificant soldier in WW2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★