Login

russian armor

Which WWII Officer/General is your role model?

28 Apr 2015, 11:40 AM

I think Maj. Richard Winters(And most of the men of Easy(The few exceptions being guys like Norman Dyke and Peacock)) and Capt. Andrew "Ack Ack" Haldane will always been inspirations to me. If you can not only keep your humanity, but also remain humble and caring in the worst of all possible scenarios, you have to be a hell of a man. Would love to have spoken to Major Winters especially, have read pretty much every literature written on Company E(being BoB, Webster's book, Malarkey's book, Winters' book, the book by Guarneare and Heffron, etc.), and they all paint him in an incredible light. A very unique man in a very dark time.

Haldane, on the other hand, is only mentioned briefly in Eugene Sledge's With The Old Breed, and in R.V. Burgin's Isles of the Damned, but, is likewise said to have been a caring, thoughtful, considerate man. Tragic that he never got to see the world without war, thanks to a sniper on Peleliu.
28 Apr 2015, 13:09 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Adolf Hitler.

:D Sorry - but A. Hilter could not achieve a Score Card like yours. ;)
28 Apr 2015, 13:16 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This inspirational bad ass right here inspires me to YOLO my Thompson paras into enemy infested lines in front of schewer HQs and tigers,, and mow down all them jerrys

and then come back™
28 Apr 2015, 13:29 PM

Vatutin, the man with no neck who looked like a caricature of a pig, was an excellent general. What is notable was that he was effective from the first year of the war and he used inferior-quality combat units than his enemies- his successes were due to scheming and outthinking.

28 Apr 2015, 13:33 PM

If I were to choose, my officer would be Rudolf Witzig. He was a brilliant German Paratrooper and leader of men. Now as for a general I would suggest that Manstein was just has brilliant as Rommel in the art of mobile warfare. The difference was that Rommel was geared toward attacking, while Manstein suggested letting the Russians drive deep into lines and then launching attack chewing up the advanced segments. A strategy that, for all intensive purposes, is more viable for it allows the enemy to make the first move. This leaves the victory in your hand for now the enemy has committed to a plan and is less flexible to counteract. In the end my main man is still Witzig. Wars are won on the backs of the soldiers and their NCO/Officers. They dont get much better than Witzig himself :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Witzig

EDIT: He is one Handsome Man too LEL

28 Apr 2015, 13:53 PM

Erwin Rommel, of course. Who else? Resisting on a war theatre for such a long time, facing outnumbering forces of 2 of the biggest nations that participated in the war, earning the respect of his enemies who called him "The Desert Fox"....

...And that commander that saved Mussolini by landing with his fallshirms somwhere in the mountains in an impossible dessant landing place (was it Otto Skorzeny?! Can't remember) and saved Mussolini from partisans encirclement. No use, he was captured few days later again and killed. That action was something verry boldy and unknown by many people.
28 Apr 2015, 13:54 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

My personal favorite would be Erich von Manstein!
28 Apr 2015, 13:55 PM

Model's command of 3.Pz (1941)was just as good as Rommel with the 7.Pz (1940). As army commander, his method was to tour the front at personal risk to himself and make radical adjustments (making spec ops combat groups) to improve efficiency. He would also break apart formations entirely, and make situation-tailored battlegroups.

Basically all this activity weakened his units offensively but it improved the situation defensively. Manstein, on the other hand, was weaker in the defense but more offense oriented and would not break mobile reserves or strong units up like Model did.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2015, 10:31 AMsteel

On the defense, I'm like Model. I can be ruthless to my soldiers and make them fight to the last HP. Bad for my men, good for the results of the match.
28 Apr 2015, 14:17 PM

If it was a World War Two commander it would be Patton, keep attacking, never dig in and only retreat to build up for a better attack. Especially once the armoured phase begins.

If it was any General from history it would be Ulysses S. Grant - that war of attrition. Riflemen may be expensive but Strumpioners are more and I can call in my vet rifles :P
28 Apr 2015, 14:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2015, 13:53 PMJohnnyB
Erwin Rommel, of course. Who else? Resisting on a war theatre for such a long time, facing outnumbering forces of 2 of the biggest nations that participated in the war, earning the respect of his enemies who called him "The Desert Fox"....

...And that commander that saved Mussolini by landing with his fallshirms somwhere in the mountains in an impossible dessant landing place (was it Otto Skorzeny?! Can't remember) and saved Mussolini from partisans encirclement. No use, he was captured few days later again and killed. That action was something verry boldy and unknown by many people.

Otto Skorzeny was the leader. There was no partisans, that was another operation where Skorzeny and his SS Fallschirm Battalion landed on Titos HQ and fought off partisans for days just narrowly missing getting the kill on Tito. Sadly, Skorzeny's rescue was not all that hard for while his men landed on top of the hill it was the Luft. Ground troops that held off any reinforcements from going up the MT. Road to the place.

My personal favorite would be Erich von Manstein!

Good Job Fichten :clap: If you didnt vote Manstein Id have to reeducate you lel
28 Apr 2015, 14:30 PM

Model's command of 3.Pz (1941)was just as good as Rommel with the 7.Pz (1940). As army commander, his method was to tour the front at personal risk to himself and make radical adjustments (making spec ops combat groups) to improve efficiency. He would also break apart formations entirely, and make situation-tailored battlegroups.

Basically all this activity weakened his units offensively but it improved the situation defensively. Manstein, on the other hand, was weaker in the defense but more offense oriented and would not break mobile reserves or strong units up like Model did.

His use of Spec Ops troops (Brandenburgers) in a combat role turned him off for me. Intel is the name of the game in warfare and to use units that specialize in Intel/sabotage/behind enemy lines operations for another purpose is a waste of resources and it drains the pool in which to choose from if spec ops are needed. Just my thoughts.
28 Apr 2015, 14:37 PM

Otto Skorzeny was the leader. There was no partisans, that was another operation where Skorzeny and his SS Fallschirm Battalion landed on Titos HQ and fought off partisans for days just narrowly missing getting the kill on Tito. Sadly, Skorzeny's rescue was not all that hard for while his men landed on top of the hill it was the Luft. Ground troops that held off any reinforcements from going up the MT. Road to the place.

Good Job Fichten :clap: If you didnt vote Manstein Id have to reeducate you lel

Skorzeny had no leadership role whatsoever, he played a minor role in the intelligence gathering leading up to Unternehmen Eiche. Operational command was with von Berlepsch/Mors of the FJ Lehr.

Skorzeny was a shameless self-promoter of the highest order, which by the way nearly got Mussolini and himself killed when he insisted to accompany the former in the Storch. Nota bene, this is however not to imply he was a fraud, or not a legitimate operative in his own right.
28 Apr 2015, 14:44 PM

Skorzeny had no leadership role whatsoever, he played a minor role in the intelligence gathering leading up to Unternehmen Eiche. Operational command was with von Berlepsch/Mors of the FJ Lehr.

Skorzeny was a shameless self-promoter of the highest order, which by the way nearly got Mussolini and himself killed when he insisted to accompany the former in the Storch. Nota bene, this is however not to imply he was a fraud, or not a legitimate operative in his own right.

You are incorrect. Skorzeny was in fact the Lead of the Airborne drop for the rescue. He also was incharge of the SS Fall Battalions that landed on Tito's HQ for the only SS Falls Battalions were given to him to command spec ops. He was a personal friend of Hitler and even lead the forces into Hungry that put down the "Rebellion" to surrender to the Russians. Please get your facts right next time mate.
28 Apr 2015, 15:01 PM

You are incorrect. Skorzeny was in fact the Lead of the Airborne drop for the rescue. He also was incharge of the SS Fall Battalions that landed on Tito's HQ for the only SS Falls Battalions were given to him to command spec ops. He was a personal friend of Hitler and even lead the forces into Hungry that put down the "Rebellion" to surrender to the Russians. Please get your facts right next time mate.

Ach, tatsächlich? ;)
Skorzenys role during Rösselsprung etc. is not under discussion, and he indeed played the central role there, but this is something I never disputed in the first place.
Anyways, Eichewas commanded on the ground by Olt. von Berlepsch of 1./FJR. 7 (aka FJ Lehr) and conceived of by Maj. Mors of the very same outfit, who did not take any orders from Skorzeny, and neither did his men. Skorzeny whacked the Italian radio operator in the face and then proceeded to thrash the wireless set - which was quite unnecessary - but that was it. Of the 88 men who participated in the raid, 70 were FJ, just 18 SS, and virtually all of the latter had very little in the way of combat training/experience and would have been of little help if Mussolinis captors had had more of a fight in them, in fact, Skorzenys' gloryhounding jeopardised the entire operation...

Be that as it may, the almost simultaneous capture of the Italian army HQ was a much more impressive undertaking in evey respect, but has been overshadowed by Eiche to this day.
28 Apr 2015, 15:05 PM

COMRADE STALIN
28 Apr 2015, 15:28 PM

Anyways, Eichewas commanded on the ground by Olt. von Berlepsch of 1./FJR. 7 (aka FJ Lehr) and conceived of by Maj. Mors of the very same outfit, who did not take any orders from Skorzeny, and neither did his men. Skorzeny whacked the Italian radio operator in the face and then proceeded to thrash the wireless set - which was quite unnecessary - but that was it. Of the 88 men who participated in the raid, 70 were FJ, just 18 SS, and virtually all of the latter had very little in the way of combat training/experience and would have been of little help if Mussolinis captors had had more of a fight in them, in fact, Skorzenys' gloryhounding jeopardised the entire operation...

Be that as it may, the almost simultaneous capture of the Italian army HQ was a much more impressive undertaking in evey respect, but has been overshadowed by Eiche to this day.

The details are not in question. You had stated that Skorzeny played no pivitol role. I disagree. He was selected personally by Hitler and Ernst Kaltenbrunner to carry out the mission, for he was the one that tracked and located Mussolini. Skorzeny was in command of 18 SS commandos ( Whome were better trained that the Falls that accompanied them ). As for smashing the Radio? That is a tactic to disallow any form of communication. Furthermore Skorzeny was the one to bring General Fernando Soleti of Polizia along and got the Italians to surrender without much of a fight. Skorzeny may have been full of himself (Getting into the plane was stupid) but he was in fact a key figure in the raid. Sadly He got ALL the credit just because Hitler loved him and he was SS.
POINT: Skorzeny was a brilliant man and Spec Ops Leader. He may not have planned the Rescue op but his Actions prior (Intel Gathering) and During (General Fernando Soleti of Polizia) contributed largly to the success.
28 Apr 2015, 15:45 PM

I haven't heard of that but it doesn't surprise me. Model's breaking up of units, right-sizing, and customizing is what gave him the massive defensive victory at Rzhev during Op Mars. He sees a unit, and ignores the "label".

His use of Spec Ops troops (Brandenburgers) in a combat role turned him off for me. Intel is the name of the game in warfare and to use units that specialize in Intel/sabotage/behind enemy lines operations for another purpose is a waste of resources and it drains the pool in which to choose from if spec ops are needed. Just my thoughts.
28 Apr 2015, 15:53 PM

I haven't heard of that but it doesn't surprise me. Model's breaking up of units, right-sizing, and customizing is what gave him the massive defensive victory at Rzhev during Op Mars. He sees a unit, and ignores the "label".

To an extent it made sense. But to his use of Brandenburgers on the front lines is like using SAS/Navy Seals as cooks for an Infantry Division lol. Had he used them in their intended roll his results could have been more significant.
28 Apr 2015, 16:14 PM

The Brandenburgers were gradually reverted to traditional roles though, after 42'. Not sure what you are referring to specifically.

How is Model seen in Germany?

To an extent it made sense. But to his use of Brandenburgers on the front lines is like using SAS/Navy Seals as cooks for an Infantry Division lol. Had he used them in their intended roll his results could have been more significant.
28 Apr 2015, 16:39 PM
Donator 33

Georgy Zhukov, operation Uranus exploited German ignorance of the Russian strategic ability, and cost them dearly for what was already a city of little strategic value. Putting Italians and Romanians on your flanks was a war ender. A talented tactician.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★