Login

russian armor

frequent rifle grenades squad wipes

27 Apr 2015, 20:26 PM

Mind you that I have only witnessed this against USF Riflemen, but I can count at least 5 times where my full health riflemen squad was wiped by 1 rifle nade. Is there a doctrinal rifle nade buff I dont know about?
It is already almost impossible to dodge, the only way to foresee the nade is to listen to when they yell "grenade!", but alot of the time I have 2 or more skirmishes going on and even then discerning which squad is aiming at which is nearly impossible.
Is this working as intended?
27 Apr 2015, 20:32 PM

If it benefits the Germans, its a feature.

If it benefits the allies, it is a bug and it'll get fixed in two days.

So don't think too hard about why a longer range, lower warning grenade with instant detonation that you get for free after teching to tier 2 is better than a shorter range, timed grenade that'll bug out and not throw that you have to research individually.

In all honesty the only reason it gets passed over for scrutiny is because of how much other ham is present in the game. If your US riflemen are getting hosed by grenadiers you gotta question what you're doing.
27 Apr 2015, 20:38 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 20:32 PMacosn
If it benefits the Germans, its a feature.

If it benefits the allies, it is a bug and it'll get fixed in two days.

how can one be so biased?

Grenade wipes happen on both sides, and it's due to the cover seeking behaviour. Units tend to clump up much more after leaving cover, and they phase through each other so it's possible that the whole squad stands on the same spot. The fact that Riflenades have this long range makes it a bit easier for them. If you would just increase the spacing for the squads if they are not in cover, that would help alot.
27 Apr 2015, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 20:32 PMacosn

If your US riflemen are getting hosed by grenadiers you gotta question what you're doing.

Why? Is there an easier way to gib riflemen?
27 Apr 2015, 20:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 20:38 PMluvnest

how can one be so biased?

Grenade wipes happen on both sides, and it's due to the cover seeking behaviour. Units tend to clump up much more after leaving cover, and they phase through each other so it's possible that the whole squad stands on the same spot. The fact that Riflenades have this long range makes it a bit easier for them. If you would just increase the spacing for the squads if they are not in cover, that would help alot.

This is with them standing behind cover and not moving.
27 Apr 2015, 20:50 PM

lol the time it takes for the grenade to hit the ground is about as much as it takes for a normal nade to explode. And also the Gren who fires it performes an anim, the grenade itself flies through the air with a trail, and there's a distinctive sound when the Gren squad fires it. I don't see how the visual/audio cues for it are worse than normal nades.
27 Apr 2015, 21:03 PM

1. Units clump closer together in cover than out of it. So it's easier for low aoe explosives (like nades) to wipe squads in cover. Also, cover provides no protection against explosives.
2. Riflemen have notoriously bad formations and tend to clump together even when out of cover.
3. The Riflenade animation is bugged at certain angles. The nade will sometimes fire before the kneel animation.
27 Apr 2015, 21:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

lol the time it takes for the grenade to hit the ground is about as much as it takes for a normal nade to explode. And also the Gren who fires it performes an anim, the grenade itself flies through the air with a trail, and there's a distinctive sound when the Gren squad fires it. I don't see how the visual/audio cues for it are worse than normal nades.

Because the animation for the Grenadier makes himself less obvious (crouches down) instead of more obvious (tosses arm up to throw).

Honestly though, 99% of any issues I have with it though is mini-precision strikes from the fog of war at vet 2 and the squad-bunching which makes most things that explode squad-wipe anyway (RG-33 + enemy in cover = Guarantee squad-wipe on hit or your munitions back!). The rest is just an extra annoyance.
27 Apr 2015, 21:27 PM

Permanently Banned
Welp think what you want but please can we end the fucking myth that its impossible to know when a rifle nade is coming? ffs the animation they do for firing rifle nades is as clear as conscripts throwing molotovs, if you can't see that then its your own damn fault. The only actual issues with riflenades is the range bonus it gets with vet. Not the damage, not the cost.
27 Apr 2015, 21:46 PM

Yea this is getting a little ridiculous, the animation is easy to spot, come on.
28 Apr 2015, 00:28 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

1. Units clump closer together in cover than out of it. So it's easier for low aoe explosives (like nades) to wipe squads in cover. Also, cover provides no protection against explosives.
2. Riflemen have notoriously bad formations and tend to clump together even when out of cover.
3. The Riflenade animation is bugged at certain angles. The nade will sometimes fire before the kneel animation.

cover lowers nade damage by 50%,but its still directional...so in some cases its actually better to just stay still(if youre fully in green cover) if you get caught by a nade you cant dodge instead of trying to quick retreat to dodge it.

28 Apr 2015, 00:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

cover lowers nade damage by 50%,but its still directional...so in some cases its actually better to just stay still(if youre fully in green cover) if you get caught by a nade you cant dodge instead of trying to quick retreat to dodge it.

Only heavy cover reduces grenade damage, light does not.
28 Apr 2015, 00:32 AM

its not directional vs explosives, if youre in green cover youll take half damage from grenades no matter where the grenade lands.
28 Apr 2015, 00:36 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

While i don't agree with OP, it's also not like Rnade animation/audio cue bugs out or doesn't display at all. #JustCoHThings
28 Apr 2015, 00:44 AM

Welp think what you want but please can we end the fucking myth that its impossible to know when a rifle nade is coming? ffs the animation they do for firing rifle nades is as clear as conscripts throwing molotovs, if you can't see that then its your own damn fault. The only actual issues with riflenades is the range bonus it gets with vet. Not the damage, not the cost.

Molotovs dont wipe a full health squad on impact and require fuel to unlock
28 Apr 2015, 00:48 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

its not directional vs explosives, if youre in green cover youll take half damage from grenades no matter where the grenade lands.

I just checked myself in CheatCommands, from what I can see it is kinda directional versus grenades, but it's a bit weird. Were it simply "In heavy cover, take half damage from grenades", it would be impossible to kill off models at full health with it yet I did manage to kill one Panzerfusilier with an RG-42 - however, it seems to only circumvent the cover if placed very behind the heavy cover, and so placing the grenade right in the middle of the squad behind heavy cover will still have it count as directional to the heavy cover and thus prevent it from killing models at full health. I got the model kill by placing the grenade a bit further back, I imagine from placing it in a spot that is completely outside of the hitbox of the cover (as can be seen by how far the green dots go from the wall).

Of course, placing the grenade so far back somewhat reduces the effectiveness of it anyway since it is farther from more of the squad, though it did look a bit more effective to do this instead of just placing it in the squad's center to me.
28 Apr 2015, 00:48 AM

Am I alone in the belief its extreme hard to spot vet 2 grenadiers preparing a rifle grenade in a big fight with a bunch going on?
28 Apr 2015, 00:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Am I alone in the belief its extreme hard to spot vet 2 grenadiers preparing a rifle grenade in a big fight with a bunch going on?

When there's four of them able to do that at once, it's definitely difficult.
28 Apr 2015, 00:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2015, 00:50 AMVuther

When there's four of them able to do that at once, it's definitely difficult.

Nice to see im not alone, IMO by itself the Rifle Grenade is fine but the Vet 2 range+lots of going on makes it borderline impossible to see it coming before its too late!
28 Apr 2015, 00:57 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Nice to see im not alone, IMO by itself the Rifle Grenade is fine but the Vet 2 range+lots of going on makes it borderline impossible to see it coming before its too late!

You can watch which of the Volks/Rifles/Cons are getting close to you to predict which of them can toss nades and compartmentalize which on your units are in range to be threatened by it if you can't watch them all at once.

You probably can't do that to vet 2 Grens unless your blob ran into their blob right around a corner the exact same time (I exaggerate, but you get what I mean).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★