Login

russian armor

Wehrmacht Sniper op now?

27 Apr 2015, 18:15 PM

The wehrmacht sniper just seems op now. You can run around with this dude that is completely immune to indirect fire. I had a priest get a direct hit on one of one of them and it just ran back to base to heal. The Soviets might have 2 snipers but they are so vulnerable to indirect fire since they love to get as close as possible to each other while sniping, making the indirect fire hit both of them. They can be stopped but still, this seems a bit much to me.
27 Apr 2015, 18:17 PM

Priest does 200 damage. Use a better unit to counter a sniper.
27 Apr 2015, 18:26 PM

WFA don't have sniper counters. :P

As for the Ost sniper, 80 HP would be the best.
27 Apr 2015, 18:35 PM

Yea, just reducing the Ost sniper to 80 HP would do it. The fact he can take a direct mortar or rocket hit is just silly.
27 Apr 2015, 19:06 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 18:35 PMCabreza
Yea, just reducing the Ost sniper to 80 HP would do it. The fact he can take a direct mortar or rocket hit is just silly.

Plain and simple, yes.
27 Apr 2015, 19:54 PM

i seriously think a direct hit from a mortar should NOT be able to kill a sniper. you have very little control over wether or not a lucky mortar shell lands on your 360 mp investment and just wipes it. neither player uses any particular micro or skill, its just that the sniper was within mortar range and got hit. rng like that is on par with engine destroyed from snares, and is almost game losing if you lose the sniper in early mid game.

27 Apr 2015, 20:04 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

The issue is if a mortar lands on a Soviet sniper it will probably only kill 1 guy, thus retaining the vet and so-on. Ost already suffers so much from small squad sizes and constant squad wipes, I think its OK to leave the sniper where it is, at least for now.
27 Apr 2015, 20:07 PM

It has 82 hp, I don't really see the problem. It doesn't die to a random mortar shot, big deal.

I wouldn't mind soviet snipers getting that same chance though ;)
27 Apr 2015, 20:08 PM

HP nerf isint the way to go. If it needs a nerf, a received accuracy modifier is what is needed.
27 Apr 2015, 20:26 PM

Since counter sniping isn't really a thing anymore indirect fire weapons are one of the best ways to deal with a well micro'd and supported sniper. That is why I'd argue reducing the Ost sniper to 80 hp so that he is vulnerable to indirect fire is a good idea. It is true that the Sov sniper can occasionally survive a mortar hit with one man but as both models only have 48 hp each a mortar shell can land further away from a Soviet sniper and still kill him when compared to regular 80 hp infantry. Specifically a normal mortar hit kills all infantry within a radius of 1 while a normal mortar hit kills all Sov sniper models within a radius of 1.6.
27 Apr 2015, 20:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 20:26 PMCabreza
Since counter sniping isn't really a thing anymore indirect fire weapons are one of the best ways to deal with a well micro'd and supported sniper. That is why I'd argue reducing the Ost sniper to 80 hp so that he is vulnerable to indirect fire is a good idea. It is true that the Sov sniper can occasionally survive a mortar hit with one man but as both models only have 48 hp each a mortar shell can land further away from a Soviet sniper and still kill him when compared to regular 80 hp infantry. Specifically a normal mortar hit kills all infantry within a radius of 1 while a normal mortar hit kills all Sov sniper models within a radius of 1.6.

Counter sniping is absolutely still a thing, a Soviet sniper will still 1 shot an Ostheer sniper.
27 Apr 2015, 21:04 PM

dont know why you think counter sniping isnt a thing. it obviously requires more skill than standard play. mortars wiping out snipers from full hp to 0 through sheer rng is NOT ok.
27 Apr 2015, 22:32 PM
Patrion 14

Ostheer sniper is definitely the stronger sniper now, but that in no way makes it OP. It can still be chased down back to base by an M20 or an m3 quite easily and wiped, and can be instantly killed by a soviet sniper.

You have to look at the ost sniper vs. soviet sniper in terms of the overall armies. The soviet sniper can be used in groups of 2 quite easily, and protected even more easily because the opposing factions do not have an early light vehicle counter. The opposing factions also have smaller squad sizes on average, so the sniper needs to have a lower fire rate.

In contrast, the ostheer sniper comes out against factions that have more infantry models per squad, more manpower to work with early game, and light vehicles that can be your third unit out of the gate.

The ostheer sniper needs the extra HP to make him a little more survivable against random RNG, while still keeping him weak vs. small-arms. It also needs the higher ROF to make counter-sniping possible, and to bleed allied squads at the same rate as the soviet sniper.

The only faction that really hurts vs. the german sniper is USF, because they are forced into purchasing expensive riflemen early, which bleed lots of manpower vs. snipers, and don't get a light vehicle (excluding WC51) until the M20. However, I think that it is a fine dynamic, since the loss of the sniper is a HUGE drain to the already manpower starved ostheer faction.
27 Apr 2015, 22:43 PM

Compared to the soviet sniper it's obvious it's overperforming slightly. With the hp buff it has the same survivability of the soviet sniper, while still having a. Much higher fire rate and camp.
27 Apr 2015, 22:51 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Compared to the soviet sniper it's obvious it's overperforming slightly. With the hp buff it has the same survivability of the soviet sniper, while still having a. Much higher fire rate and camp.

Incendiary explosive shot is also completely hilarious after the squad-bunching now, though flares are certainly not useless.

But my god incendiary explosive shot now...they're like long-range undodgeable mini-grenades that stun, which I can't really figure out why that's happening since it looks like to me in the attribute editor the ability's weapon doesn't have any AoE.
27 Apr 2015, 23:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2015, 20:04 PMBudwise
The issue is if a mortar lands on a Soviet sniper it will probably only kill 1 guy, thus retaining the vet and so-on. Ost already suffers so much from small squad sizes and constant squad wipes, I think its OK to leave the sniper where it is, at least for now.

Not at all. A direct hit will most likely wipe a full health soviet sniper team because they bunch up like crazy and the kill radius is huge because the models only have 46hp. Even shells that miss the team by quite a margin can still cause 90MP bleed. Likewise, rifle-nades fired over walls as a surprise will nearly always kill both models unless fully dodged.

The german sniper has none of these issues. As long as it has full health, it is completely safe from getting wiped by nearly every form of indirect fire or grenades, even on direct hits.
27 Apr 2015, 23:14 PM

The sniper doesn't feel particularly weak against small arms fire, which is the issue. High risk high reward was the name of the game for snipers. Old Wehr sniper too weak, I agree. New wehr sniper might be a little too tough, though. At least tweak the rec acc modifiers so it's slightly easier for small arms to hit, if you want to keep the HP so they can survive a mortar shell (which feels so fucking gamey it hurts). If the original intention was to have them be able to survive that shit IMO they should have had both snipers be two man squads to begin with.
27 Apr 2015, 23:20 PM

Sniper now can survive direct hit from Katiusha, M8 and other things that deal 80 damage only Kappa

What sniper needs to be balanced is to nerf it's received accuracy which means it will be easier to hit by small arms fire

27 Apr 2015, 23:27 PM

dont know why you think counter sniping isnt a thing. it obviously requires more skill than standard play. mortars wiping out snipers from full hp to 0 through sheer rng is NOT ok.

The reason I bring up that counter sniping isn't much of a thing is because the Ost sniper tends to cloak faster than the Sov sniper can set up and take a shot. In fact I find the Ost sniper cloaks so quickly that he can typically kill a Sov sniper model and cloak before the second sniper model can return fire. That is not to say it isn't possible to counter snipe, but it usually requires a bit of an error on the Ost player's side to expose their sniper.

If you're taking the stance that sheer RNG shouldn't kill snipers then I think something needs to be done for the Sov sniper as well since it is fully possible to loose a full health Sov sniper team to mortar RNG. I for one am willing to deal with that degree of RNG in this game however and as Thosedeafmutes said it feels gamey as hell to have the Ost sniper take direct hits from rockets and mortars and survive.
Neo
27 Apr 2015, 23:45 PM

I don't think it's OP. It's definitely good though.

Perhaps a little more received accuracy so it can be killed by infantry easier would be good. Keep health as it is - it shouldn't get 1-shotted by mortars.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 16
Germany 1
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak