Login

russian armor

How Do You Counter The IS-2?

23 Apr 2015, 08:22 AM

I'm having a lot of difficulty countering this unit in 1v1. My typical build is multiple Volks squads with a Raketenwerfer and med truck into Panzerfusiliers and a Jagdpanzer IV, and it's not working against the IS-2. The Jagdpanzer can slug it out with the IS-2, but if there's a ZiS around you can't win - and even if there isn't, the Jagdpanzer is still unlikely to kill the IS-2.

Multiple Panzershrecks can work, I guess, but they don't reliably penetrate the IS-2's armour and getting enough hits on the vehicle to kill it is tricky when you're also dodging various Soviet infantry units.

Panther is in pretty much the same boat as the Jagdpanzer, except it's even more expensive.

Haven't tried multiple Pumas. Not sure if that might work, although I'm somewhat dubious.

Getting a King Tiger, Jagdtiger, or multiple Panthers or Jagdpanzers involves accumulating a prohibitively large amount of fuel. I don't really see any of those options as viable tbh.

Any suggestions?
23 Apr 2015, 09:08 AM

Fortification doctrine,obers against shocks,pak 43+panther,evean luchs is possible whit this doctrine
If he is waiting for call ins.Whit your build order and your doctrine why you dont wait for your ultimate tank?
23 Apr 2015, 11:03 AM

Only way to counter proper use of this "cheap callin Soviet KT" is an OKW KT. :D
23 Apr 2015, 11:04 AM

I'm having a lot of difficulty countering this unit in 1v1. My typical build is multiple Volks squads with a Raketenwerfer and med truck into Panzerfusiliers and a Jagdpanzer IV, and it's not working against the IS-2. The Jagdpanzer can slug it out with the IS-2, but if there's a ZiS around you can't win - and even if there isn't, the Jagdpanzer is still unlikely to kill the IS-2.

Multiple Panzershrecks can work, I guess, but they don't reliably penetrate the IS-2's armour and getting enough hits on the vehicle to kill it is tricky when you're also dodging various Soviet infantry units.

Panther is in pretty much the same boat as the Jagdpanzer, except it's even more expensive.

Haven't tried multiple Pumas. Not sure if that might work, although I'm somewhat dubious.

Getting a King Tiger, Jagdtiger, or multiple Panthers or Jagdpanzers involves accumulating a prohibitively large amount of fuel. I don't really see any of those options as viable tbh.

Any suggestions?

You will always lose to the player of the same skill because of the unbalance as obvious. I have seen many stream/replays of top 10 players who lose (as OKW) to soviet players of lower ranks/skills. Check the post#273 in here: http://www.coh2.org/topic/33246/a-letter-to-relic-coh2-game-balance-team/page/14#post_id321046
it tells you the truth.
23 Apr 2015, 11:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2015, 09:08 AMniksa
Fortification doctrine,obers against shocks,pak 43+panther,evean luchs is possible whit this doctrine
If he is waiting for call ins.Whit your build order and your doctrine why you dont wait for your ultimate tank?
pak43 easily gets decrewed by the incendiary barrage
23 Apr 2015, 12:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2015, 11:06 AMAladdin
pak43 easily gets decrewed by the incendiary barrage

That is true,but you have your panther and shrek volks to cover you while you recrew it
I would rather play against Is2 then guard motor doctrine every time
23 Apr 2015, 13:11 PM

you gotta get tricky, especially with the shrek nerf. 2-3 pupchens, (especially with their cloak can be really handy) 3-5 shrekd volks and a panther are pretty much going to be your core. from there, you're going to need to really be thinking outside the box to deal with the inevitable supporting maxims and ZiS, Falls can be good, and if you're rolling hot dice the LeIG, may also really come in handy.

It pays to play "strategically compact", being able to lure weapons teams and that lumbering mass of doom into areas where they'll have narrow zones of fire, and then spreading your troops out, enveloping and focusing your firepower at the last possible moment. it's generally a good sign if their units are turning to face you/rotating.

and i agree with the comment on guard motor. the 34/85's and MT basically negates anything that isn't a panther, if you get to that point, presuming an 120mill hasn't pounded you into the stone age; their great mobility and siege potential basically negate that strategy, and you need to employ more of a cell style, tactical system.
23 Apr 2015, 13:34 PM

I like how this poor guy asks for advice, and here comes the idiot retard mobile starting to complain about balance. WTF ????

Anyways, as for the IS-2, here are a couple of ways you can kill the IS-2.

First, ostheer has much less problems than OKW. Generally how you counter the IS-2 as ostheer is well positioned PaK 40s. If you have a tiger, 2 pak 40s are enough for an IS-2. If you go lightning war, save up for the stuka close air support since it does absolutely devastating damage to the IS-2. If you don't, consider placing some teller mines here and there. Pshrecks are not generally a good idea. They only have 30% chance to pen the IS-2.

If you dont get tiger and istead opt for PIVs, get 3 PaKs. Good PaK positioning is key. Ostheer late game these days is all about PaK positioning. Realistically you dont even need any armor at all (especially with USF) as long as you have excellent PaK positioning. (Check how Captainsprice sometimes plays). Sometimes he gets even 4 PaKs.

Anyways, the key word here is positioning. Losing a PaK is devastating, especially if you have your own armor on the field. A soviet 6 man pak-40 team will spell doom for your armor.

OKW. Now as OKW it is much,much tougher. Now what you want to do is place down schu-mines. If you are on a close quarters map like kholodny ferma where it is not possible to exploit the longer range of the JPIV/Panther. KT on an equal game is not really an option since by the time you get a KT he already has 2 IS-2s, or if he is smart and sees you are going for a KT, he is going to get a double kv-8 and just roast you.

What i haven't seen alot of people do is use the command panther. Its "mark target" ability makes any tank take 50% more damage, which is absolutely *devastating). Of course it costs 200 fuel, but the mark target + the fact that the command panther can spot for itself, thus making it a much better combat and support unit than a regural panther, makes it very worth it.
But, if you are on an urban map, what you need to do is get a lot of raketenwerfers. Lots and lots of raketenwerfers, they are quite cheap and OKW floats MP anyways, so you should get 3 or even more. This doesn't work as well as ostheer pak-40s because the raketenwerfer has shorter range, so it might get wiped if you get unlucky. But once it has vet they get alot better.

PaK-43 is good to keep the IS-2 out, but you wont kill it with it.

Hope this helps you a bit. Keep in mind that i am talking from a 1v1 perspective here. If you are playing other modes someone else will help you out ;)

Also provide a replay if you can ;)
24 Apr 2015, 13:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2015, 11:04 AMAladdin

You will always lose to the player of the same skill because of the unbalance as obvious. I have seen many stream/replays of top 10 players who lose (as OKW) to soviet players of lower ranks/skills. Check the post#273 in here: http://www.coh2.org/topic/33246/a-letter-to-relic-coh2-game-balance-team/page/14#post_id321046
it tells you the truth.

the letter from Paul "I do all the hard work as OKW and finally get my KT then throw it into the enemy base and rage quit" a.D

I do exactly the same as you Carlos, I'd follow that up with a Panther vs is2, chances are you won't be able to skip the Jagd though. You could go command panther after Jagd if you feel like you don't need the S.hq flak gun. The OKW panther can head to head the IS2, its very close. Don't go crazy and chase it down though, if you lose the panther to a mine you're screwed, bide your time, get your vet up and pick your moment.
24 Apr 2015, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 13:33 PMsamich

the letter from Paul "I do all the hard work as OKW and finally get my KT then throw it into the enemy base and rage quit" a.D

I do exactly the same as you Carlos, I'd follow that up with a Panther vs is2, chances are you won't be able to skip the Jagd though. You could go command panther after Jagd if you feel like you don't need the S.hq flak gun. The OKW panther can head to head the IS2, its very close. Don't go crazy and chase it down though, if you lose the panther to a mine you're screwed, bide your time, get your vet up and pick your moment.

:|
24 Apr 2015, 18:15 PM

Im no pro but usually I have a panther before the is2 hits the field. I find a little rng and panther goes a long way. Raks support is also a really good idea. They have very similar specs to pak 40 but lack range. Use them. Good luck.
27 Apr 2015, 08:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 16:46 PMAladdin

:|

I know, isn't it annoying when someone gives actual advice as opposed to bitching about this and that being op..
27 Apr 2015, 17:02 PM

jp and panther
11 May 2015, 17:57 PM

i hate the fact that you have to be reactionary all the time vs this thing. All the opponent does is go t1 + t2, stall until kv8 and is2, gain alot of mapcontrol and if you actually manage to kill an is2, which is extremely hard to do, he probably will float enough fuel to get another one. Yay. Call in meta. So damn exciting.
12 May 2015, 16:54 PM

I really like the sound of what Burts desribes with the Command panther, and if you can afford to add in a JP4, even better.

You could almost just stay T1 to do this, even throwing in Rakketens for any good buildings. But of course the Shocks will totally roll you with this doctrine unless you get Obers.

Perhaps staying T1 is possible if you do many kubels, with some Spios to repair and help flank/ halt charges. If you play well not to get AT naded, this might promp T3, which you can counter with a JP4 and rakketen.. then your command Panther next.

Im theory crafting of course :P
13 May 2015, 04:54 AM

Panthers can deal with them or build Pak 43 i think its the best counter
14 May 2015, 19:04 PM

Panther flank with the help of AT nade from Fusils.
14 May 2015, 20:35 PM

Mines mines mines mines, did I forget to mention, mines. :foreveralone:
9/10 call-in meta guy will not make sweepers, and if he does, bait IS-2 onto side that doesn't have sweepers, or quickly lay mine in unexpected/ unseen place that will force sweepers to look hard(i.e. around building, in corner of map, behind hedge). Then go Panther + raketen or Jadg + dbl raketens to quickly flank and take out the IS-2. :foreveralone:

I notice a lot of times IS-2 will achieve a heavy engine crit and become a freebie for the jadgpanzer. :foreveralone:/
16 May 2015, 11:50 AM

There is no reliable cost effective counter unless soviet player is noob and overextends.
16 May 2015, 13:03 PM
Benefactor 392

depends on the doctrine for OKW
mines are helpful

luftwaffe- faust panther, support with volks/raketen
breakthrough - rifle nade, panther support with volks/raketen
very late game jagd
special forces - volks/raketen commandpanther, maybe jp4/puma,
defense - pak, volks/raketen panther
elite armour - panther, volks/raketen, puma the HEAT hurts things so badly.
recon - panther, volks raketen, puma/jp4

Puma can mess up any tank with target weakpoint, it tends to mess up the other player,

most important part is to pick your moments.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★