Login

russian armor

How does this strategy seem to work?

21 Apr 2015, 20:02 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Attached is a replay I played against fellow Bear, Laz, on Faymonville.

So this strategy's end goal is to get two panthers. T1 composition is 3-4 Grens and 1-2 weapon crews, at least 1 MG42. Sniper is also a viable option.
T2 build is minimal, one, maybe two paks if necessary. A Pgren squad if only 3 grens were purchased, or maybe a Pgren squad late game just for schrecks (maybe there was a backtech to SU85?)

The mid game is key here; typically, one gets T3 and a P3 or two and a Tiger. However, it can be viable to go straight for T4 for Panthers if:
The Soviet player is waiting for call-ins only (M4C sherman, T34/85, IS2)
The USF player is waiting for M4A3E8 Shermans

I usually get no more than two Panthers; Pak 40, double Panther and a Schreck Pgren squad should be able to solve your AT needs.

Lightning War and Blitzkrieg Doctrine are my two favorites because of the Stuka Close Air Support. That ability shreds any armor, IS2 or Jackson. It also attacks infantry and serves as area denial. The AoE is huge.

Lightning War and Blitzkrieg both have pros and cons.

Lightning War lets you play to the metagame; you can stall for Tiger if you're getting fucked in the ass. G43s can also be good on certain maps, or for heavy Gren play, allowing one to use G43 squads a bit like Pgrens. Tactical Movement can also be used to rush in infantry squads.

Blitzkrieg helps with armor survive-ability because of Panzer Tactician. The Command P4 is a good supplement to one's forces; it has decent AI and all units take 80% damage.

Getting a P4 in your army composition - Command or T3 P4 - is worth it. A third panther isn't really necessary in 1v1.

Having control of at least 1 Muni point and having several muni caches around lets you spam the fuck out of the Stukas. After the enemy is done repairing and reinforcing, you can call in another run.

In this game:
I stalled for double panther and went Blitzkrieg for a Command P4.

I built three Gren squads, MG42, Mortar, Pgren. I let the Pgren die a lot :(

I went with the mortar because I thought I could shell the enemy mortar. I'd rather have the enemy mortars firing on mine, not my HMG.

Some criticism:
I built two fuel caches to get to T4 quicker which, in hindsight, really weren't needed because of my harassment of the enemy fuel. I would've been better off with even more muni caches. I left my panther in my base for several minutes, until I saw the first IS2.
Question: Is it worth it for my panther to shoot at infantry squads? Doesn't seem like it would do much, but knocking off a model or two may help me win an important engagement?

I should've laid more teller mines, but I figured that, with IS2s instead of T34/85s, there would be less of a chance of armor attempting to penetrate my lines.
I didn't get a Pak gun until later.

What do you all think about this?

Edit: not making this a jarbled mess
22 Apr 2015, 05:33 AM

Checked.
We have talked on Steam.
28 Apr 2015, 01:30 AM

Checked.
We have talked on Steam.

I understand if you guys want to have a private discussion and that, but in the interests of everyone else and for fostering open strategic discourse, I would of loved to've heard your opinion about it.
28 Apr 2015, 07:00 AM

I understand if you guys want to have a private discussion and that, but in the interests of everyone else and for fostering open strategic discourse, I would of loved to've heard your opinion about it.

Well, that's not a problem at all :)

Most of the time, strategy for OST in 1v1 involving T4 will break at some point.

It's OK, but only if you hold you fuel all the time and harass enemy's one which is very unlikely' which may lead to teching and bulding structures and then realizing than I could take PzIV to hold, cause right now I have no fuel and he is wrecking me.

What's more, Panther is almost pure AT, two Panther means 32 pop cap into PT while you still have 1-2 Paks, which means 37-42 pop cap just for AT.

Of course, you can go for Panthers when you know you will probably win. I was myself rushing for 15min Panther with Ostruppen doctrine, but I knew Im going to win.
Wasting resources to get T4 and make a building, just to realize that it's better to get Tiger is wasting resources.

What's more, I see no reasong to choose Panther over Tiger. Yes, better penetration, range but on the other hand, teching costs, and many pop cap points into almost pure AT unit.
Tiger is better unit overall.

I just woke up, and I don't know if I put my thoughts correctly here :D but the point is, going for double Panther is possible only when you have constant map control (which is unlikely), it's risky cause once you tech and make a building, you might realize than you wasted tons of fuel, doctrine without call-in Tiger don't have any wonderful abilities that call-in ones would not have as well and it's taking around 40pop cap just for pure AT units.
28 Apr 2015, 12:57 PM

I can understand the attraction to going panthers. They are just far easier to use well, given their speed and manouverability.

However, its true that Tigers are so much easier to reach and are better vs infantry, paks offer all the additional AT you need to supplement Tigers.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 47
Russian Federation 105

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment