Login

russian armor

When another player takes control of your units....

24 Apr 2015, 19:31 PM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 19:07 PMInverse
That makes more sense, but it's still drastically more expensive than simple command passing, and it scales terribly once you start considering anything beyond 1v1 because you have far more data to send and exponentially more calculations to make.

computation wise, yes it is much more expensive. i don't know (and i don't think anyone can get a good grip without running tests) how much more expensive though. i think a lot of it could be done fairly cheaply (are there any units withing X radius of Y unit; if yes then send data to other player(s)) and with effort could be optimized. the general continued increase in the power of computers is also something to consider but it should not be bet on.

as for game size scaling, i can't think of anything other then the general increase in the number of players as LoS is shared but it certainly ramps up fast. a 2v2 generally has twice as many units and, at a rough guess, twice as many calculations. a 4v4...

anyway i'm to tired to take this any further right now and my programming experience is limited so i'll leave it here for now at least.
25 Apr 2015, 00:21 AM

If this is caused by a hack (which it's not) it would be one of the worst hacks in the world... Let's break it down...

Firstly, the attacker would need to either MitM you or be able to spoof commands coming from your machine, the second would be exponentially easier to accomplish so let's just assume that this is how it is done.

Next, the attacker would need some way to issue spoofed commands. Maybe he wrote some custom code and gave himself a weird little GUI to order your units to weird spots on the map or to order retreats. I guess they could also be issued completely randomly...

Anyways, our actor in this scenario is going through a whole lot of effort in order to create an extremely obvious hack, which does not net him that much of an advantage... (and no monetary gain). There's simply no incentive to create a hack like this... and it'd be annoyingly difficult to pull off as compared to a map hack.

Furthermore - with the abundance of people that have reported this, it is pretty solid proof that this is not created by a hack. And there were reports of it in vCoH. Just doesn't add up at all.

Can't be anything except for a bug. And probably a bug related to poor connections in some way since it seems to have only ever happened in team games (and most frequently in larger game sizes).
25 Apr 2015, 01:06 AM
Patrion 14

are you sure your keuboard and mouse is just lagging? my wireless set up kinda lags time to time.
25 Apr 2015, 03:55 AM
Patrion 14

yea i had this happend to me in a game just now however it doesnt seem to be a hack its just very bizare i tell my units to cap a vp suddenly they move out of it and go towards where there is enemys same if i tell my guys to soft retreat they keep changing my movement order towards the enemy troops its more as if you are sharing control with a AI.. and this happens when a player failed to load was playing 2v2 with a friend when it came first time ive ever had this happen even when a player fails to load
25 Apr 2015, 04:20 AM

Just happened to me.

Though one might take a look at the replay with the offending behavior, as I noticed something.

A person did drop before the game loaded. The AI never moved it's starting unit (nor even produced any units at all). Which leads me to believe that possibly, the AI was incorrectly assigned to the next player in line (an actual player), which causes conflicting orders in units.
25 Apr 2015, 04:23 AM
Patrion 28

Just happened to me.

Though one might take a look at the replay with the offending behavior, as I noticed something.

A person did drop before the game loaded. The AI never moved it's starting unit (nor even produced any units at all). Which leads me to believe that possibly, the AI was incorrectly assigned to the next player in line (an actual player), which causes conflicting orders in units.

no because no player ends up doing nothing, which is what happen if the AI was assigned to the wrong player. the player who experiences the control issues is the one who has desynced.
25 Apr 2015, 04:30 AM

I do have the replay on hand, if you wish to take a look.

Perhaps the AI not doing anything at all is but a symptom of a different problem, but to me it seems related. Would certainly explain to me why I have to click continuously to get some units to move to the desired location.

Edit:

After finding the replay feature, I just uploaded the replays from my partner and I. One will notice that the OKW player (which is the one that dropped) is actually doing stuff on my partner's replay, whereas the same player is doing nothing on mine.

25 Apr 2015, 04:54 AM
Patrion 28

I do have the replay on hand, if you wish to take a look.

Perhaps the AI not doing anything at all is but a symptom of a different problem, but to me it seems related. Would certainly explain to me why I have to click continuously to get some units to move to the desired location.

Edit:

After finding the replay feature, I just uploaded the replays from my partner and I. One will notice that the OKW player (which is the one that dropped) is actually doing stuff on my partner's replay, whereas the same player is doing nothing on mine.

i can't speak for the replay but i've played two games with friends were this issue cropped up. i was on voice the entire time with the person who had the issue both times and every player on our team was active for both him and us.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★