Login

russian armor

Blob nerf aura

16 Apr 2015, 14:22 PM

It somehow worked in CoH1 to nerf pio spam, it could work for every type of infantry in CoH2 also, my idea is simple, nerf starts affecting squad when there's at least 2 other infantry units (type doesnt matter), in X radius from it, each other infantry unit increases stacking and increases chance to hit this squad by for example 5%, up to 5 stacks, so in very blobby way, one squad could get up to 25% received accuracy penalty (that's 7 squads).

I think this could be great option when current volks blob, PTRS, Zook spam meta is almost in every game :snfBarton:
16 Apr 2015, 14:25 PM

Permanently Banned
Get in alpha

convince relic :snfBarton:
16 Apr 2015, 14:38 PM

It somehow worked in CoH1 to nerf pio spam, it could work for every type of infantry in CoH2 also, my idea is simple, nerf starts affecting squad when there's at least 2 other infantry units (type doesnt matter), in X radius from it, each other infantry unit increases stacking and increases chance to hit this squad by for example 5%, up to 5 stacks, so in very blobby way, one squad could get up to 25% received accuracy penalty (that's 7 squads).

I think this could be great option when current volks blob, PTRS, Zook spam meta is almost in every game :snfBarton:

What radius?
If I put 3 squads in cover in the radius does it work?
If I put a pioneer (for the vision) + MG42 (for the suppression) + Volks (for the support) in the radius, they all will receive the penalty? It is going to be 10 times easier to take them down with a good flank :D
If I have to push to pass a bridge or a narrow path, Penalty?
If I have been pushed into my base - penalty vs that m20/half-track/luch already raping me?

3-4-5-6-7 squads in a blobs is usually enough spread, except when the blob pass through a narrow path, to make your radius large to be effective. And it will affect anything else that is not necessarily a blob.

And last, what about tactical blob? When you need to push hard a point with all your squad to break a defensive line?

It works with piospam in coh1 because its only affects piospammers...
16 Apr 2015, 14:43 PM

This would solve the whole A-move blobbing issue if you ask me. Some kind of Blob nerf, received accuracy, suppression, even damage.

The radius is debatable but can be solved. Something like Sturmofizier's buff radius. This way, "infantry heavy strats" will not be affected.
16 Apr 2015, 14:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2015, 14:43 PMRMMLz
This would solve the whole A-move blobbing issue if you ask me. Some kind of Blob nerf, received accuracy, suppression, even damage.

The radius is debatable but can be solved. Something like Sturmofizier's buff radius. This way, "infantry heavy strats" will not be affected.

Sturmofficer buff radius is pretty big you know, it would affect negatively normal engagements you know.
Thing needs to be tight and sever for 4 or more squads, thats all.

Moving squads in pairs is not uncommon and shouldn't be punished in any way.
16 Apr 2015, 14:56 PM
Donator 33

Tactical blob lol, you mean click drag A-move hope it works retreat if it doesn't. Tactical as it gets.
16 Apr 2015, 14:58 PM
Donator 22

I don't think it would be a good idea. Blobbing is necessary some times. OKW and OST need to blob to clear buildings in early game. And how would you deal with elite inf? If there is 2 obers camping your cutoff you need so send 4 rifles to push them back.
16 Apr 2015, 14:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

How about we remove attack move
16 Apr 2015, 15:07 PM

How about we remove attack move

How will axis only players be able to play then?
16 Apr 2015, 15:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2015, 14:50 PMKatitof

Sturmofficer buff radius is pretty big you know, it would affect negatively normal engagements you know.
Thing needs to be tight and sever for 4 or more squads, thats all.

Moving squads in pairs is not uncommon and shouldn't be punished in any way.

Well, that's why I said it's debatable. But with some test a good radius can be found. I agree with the minimum of 4 squads (of any kind or maybe 3 of the same) in a small radius.
16 Apr 2015, 15:13 PM

it's the first time i heard about tactical blobbing :snfBarton:
16 Apr 2015, 15:15 PM
Coder Red Badge

This didn't nerf Piospam in CoH1, having to build a tier building before the KKC did. Sure, this made Pio blobs a little weaker, but people still Piospammed a ton when this debuff was in place. It wasn't until the KKC change that Piospam really started to fall off as a viable Wehrmacht strategy.

Regardless, something like this is just a bandaid on a far larger problem. The game either needs to incentivize proper positional play to the point where it's vastly more powerful than blobbing even if it is more difficult to execute, or it needs to give players more ways to differentiate themselves beyond simple unit control.

It's clear Relic isn't interested in the latter, and to achieve the former it makes more sense to dramatically buff anti-blob measures and make difficult-to-use units more powerful instead of nerfing blobs.
16 Apr 2015, 15:39 PM

I wouldnt mind it but would prefer just more punishing counters. If they did do a negative Zeal it would have to be pretty close and not impacted when in cover. But that presents a problem late game when there is yellow cover all over the map.

Better solution is to make MGs more deadly and easier to maintain as well as indirect fire having maybe low damage but a HUGE AOE and great ROF. To do alot of health damage but not whipes.
16 Apr 2015, 15:39 PM

Not only would this make sense in the game but it would happen in the real world too.

If you have a group of 50 people all running to you all blobbed together you wouldn't even need to accurately shoot at them to hit someone, just aim at the blob and you're going to hit someone.

something like if X Number of people are within Y distance then received accuracy = +25%

or something.
16 Apr 2015, 15:50 PM

Buffing anti-blob units will make them primarily overpowered vs single unit they're mean to counter aka one shot ability many anti-blob already have. ISG and USF howi buff is quite interesting but it also works too well vs 1 single squad, buffing it too much would make people building 2 or 3 them and sit on their defense.

And people who never heard about tactical blob never played the game... Moving 3+ squads in a small radius isn't something rare, any Ostheer player does it when he Attack move with 2 paks + 1 or 2 potential support unit. Don't tell me no, I have ready it again today from good players here as a strategy to counter IS2. And the same goes for any faction in many situations.

I think people have a really poor definition of what a blob is in term of game mechanism and only think about the most obvious examples, which is simply wrong. You cannot put a buff or debuff to game mechanism and expect it to impact one situation over 10-20 existant.

Edit:
Removing Attack move is probably the best measure, simple and easy to put in place, I have read so far to counter the particular way of blobbing people want to get rid off without impacting too much the rest of the gameplay.
16 Apr 2015, 16:11 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2015, 15:50 PMEsxile
Edit:
Removing Attack move is probably the best measure, simple and easy to put in place, I have read so far to counter the particular way of blobbing people want to get rid off without impacting too much the rest of the gameplay.

That's a terrible suggestion honestly. Artificially reducing the amount of control players have over their units is a really awful way to deal with design problems in a game. Not to mention attack-moving a blob is only a very, very, very tiny aspect of that command's utility.
16 Apr 2015, 16:51 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Good idea OP, but should be a bit prepared. A aura is very good.
16 Apr 2015, 18:27 PM

it's a very simple idea, i actually suggested to quinn on the official forums to add that a couple of times now.
i explained that it would work like group zeal for pe in coh1 (negative modifiers ofc)
the more squads u add the worse the effect gets.
but imo 2 squads is kinda harsh,i think it should start at 3 .
i really hope that idea gets through though.
16 Apr 2015, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2015, 15:50 PMEsxile
Buffing anti-blob units will make them primarily overpowered vs single unit they're mean to counter aka one shot ability many anti-blob already have. ISG and USF howi buff is quite interesting but it also works too well vs 1 single squad, buffing it too much would make people building 2 or 3 them and sit on their defense.

And people who never heard about tactical blob never played the game... Moving 3+ squads in a small radius isn't something rare, any Ostheer player does it when he Attack move with 2 paks + 1 or 2 potential support unit. Don't tell me no, I have ready it again today from good players here as a strategy to counter IS2. And the same goes for any faction in many situations.

I think people have a really poor definition of what a blob is in term of game mechanism and only think about the most obvious examples, which is simply wrong. You cannot put a buff or debuff to game mechanism and expect it to impact one situation over 10-20 existant.

Edit:

Read what I suggested again. Nerf the damage SO IT WONT punish individual squads and INCREASE ITS AOE to DAMAGE (not kill outright) large amounts of units so that the smaller force that is used tactically will be fighting a bunch of half health squads. This would naturally discourage grouping up a large amount of units.
16 Apr 2015, 19:40 PM

Would it be possible for AoE weapons (flamers,mortars,howtizers of all kind, tanks) to have their accuracy increased by a huge amount when firing onto clumped up infantry?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★