Login

russian armor

British Faction, what do you want to see?

PAGES (17)down
1 May 2015, 10:33 AM

yeah, i really dislike the soviets here. they just seem stereotypical, drunken and slovenly, which is doing them a grave disservice... (could be prejudiced on my part, i accept my part in the window in which i interpret things.)

coh1 really sprung to life for me when i used a historical skin pack and replaced the axis speech files with their german equivalent. it added so much flare and character to the game, it was a real joy then. such a shame in my mind we can't do the same now :(

no more snow suit grenadiers!!! seriously.... white and yellow??? what the fuck???

It is a grave disservice, nicely put. They're made out to be the joke faction and weren't even voiced by Russians :( USF on the other hand sound pretty damn good.

It's good to see someone else who appreciates the atmosphere created by good character audio! I hope the Brit audio gets the same level of attention.
1 May 2015, 10:49 AM

It is a grave disservice, nicely put. They're made out to be the joke faction and weren't even voiced by Russians :( USF on the other hand sound pretty damn good.

It's good to see someone else who appreciates the atmosphere created by good character audio! I hope the Brit audio gets the same level of attention.

I am yet very disappointing engineers summer skin, guards skin, snipers winter skin and tank crews skin.
1 May 2015, 10:52 AM

what about the recon triangle thingy from the commando doc back in coh1?

LOVED IT

kinda unfair tho
1 May 2015, 11:12 AM

They could do a fresh take on officers.

Tommy squads could come as a base unit, then a variety of either officers, or non commisioned officers (Seargents, Corporals etc), or both, could either be built as a unit which is then merged into any squad, or could simply be 'built' from within the squad itself by a similar setup to using USA weapon racks. NCOs could provide smaller buffs and be allowed as many as you have squads, higher ranked officers could be limited like with USA, but the choice is which squad you add them too, and with what weapons.

A variety of officers could provide various different bonuses and or weapons to the squad they join, so combining with any of the existing stock inf squads would provide many possible outcomes to suit different situations.

Officers would only effect the one squad they join, would be relativley cheap (but with a fuel cost probably). There could be potential for certain combinations, like adding a Corporal AND Leiutenant to one squad.

Would be a fun way to emphasise on British infantry and officer power, without making blob ultra powerful. To make a very powerful blob would require a large amount of bought officers, which would drain fuel and so vehicles.

You could choose to spam larger amounts of stock inf, without officers, but it would be weaker on its own.
1 May 2015, 11:17 AM

They could do a fresh take on officers.

USF officers are fresh take on officers.

Anything else then that kind of solution will encourage blobbing and I doubt we need another faction going by that "playstyle"(lol at people saying blobs take skill).

And your solution isn't suitable for coh2 at all.
1 May 2015, 11:28 AM

Why would officers as a squad upgrade promote blobbing? I said they would only effect the squad they join, not have an aura.

In effect this is just a way of taking the USA weapon upgrade system, applying it to Brits, but with officers which drains some fuel, not munis, and could provide a large choice of possible abilities/buffs/weapons.

Blobbing would be possible, it always is with most armies, but there would be no natural advantage to doing so provided by the officers.

USA officers are linked to teching and 'free' squads. This system is more about upgrades to stock squads in a different way to the standard muni purchase way.

I dont see the problem.
1 May 2015, 11:52 AM

Essentially you want squad commanders like were in Dow 1. Possibly bought the way they were in DoW2. And I am very okay with that concept a's long as they had the IG thing of dying last to offset their cost.

A dedicated Bren section could be interesting, anyway. Heaviest LMG bearing squad in the game with a fairly high unit cost and maybe some light suppression/cover use bonuses with vet. Maybe ~400mp or so.

ahh, dreams.
1 May 2015, 14:59 PM

A dedicated Bren section could be interesting, anyway. Heaviest LMG bearing squad in the game with a fairly high unit cost and maybe some light suppression/cover use bonuses with vet. Maybe ~400mp or so.

ahh, dreams.

Yeah! I had a similar idea about fire support squads. Rather than the standard HMG and Mortar squads, you could have some kind of fire support squad.

Something like you said, maybe slow moving, maybe having a set up time. Maybe you have to activate when they start firing which has a timmer to represent ammo or something. Or even give them limited ammo, which must either be replenished by returning to HQ, or have a supply drop (doctrine), or some kind of supply vehicle.
1 May 2015, 15:06 PM

In gameplay terms, I'd like to see something more along the lines of OH, meaning decidedly uncheesy, linear tech, however, unlike OH, progressive tech should be more realistically archievable which would also serve to provide the variety.
As for units, well, standard stuff, Rifle sections, Piat teams, Vickers, 3 Inch Mortars, 6 Pdrs, Croms, Stuarts, Staghounds, Firefly/Achilles, 25 Pdr onmap, doctrinal Comet, Paras or Commandos for call-in flavour or what have you, FFI, Ghurkas, the options are endless. Just resist the temptation to go for the very excentric, OKW was bad enough....

You pretty much summed it up, with all the nations that the Commonwealth consists of, the options are limitless.
1 May 2015, 16:19 PM
Patrion 14

The British army of 1944-45 is all about Arnhem, The Scheldt, Ardennes Flank and Op. VARSITY. The British advanced as far as the Baltic sea, east of Schleswig Holstein.

What were the obvious, 'army character' features of these operations? Well, the big, obvious one is airborne. The other is fast armoured advances with the British beginning to 'return the serve' by using mechanised infantry like the Germans. The Brits beat the USA into having an operational jet fighter by 1945. The other feature is river assaults, Buffalo amphibious APCs and marines.

So I'd like to see a core British faction with dependable but not sluggish infantry, some interesting early game vehicular options and maybe even some light infantry support of the sort you don't usually see in CoH games but central to Brit infantry tactics: the two man gun group (Bren) and light two man mortars. These would require decent micro to get the best out of but would be relatively cheap. The corollary would be less medium-heavy support weapons in the early game tiers.

Just a few thoughts.
2 May 2015, 15:31 PM

I think the british will end up being a "Gucci" faction (high quality, few numbers, expensive units)
6 May 2015, 03:47 AM

I always thought of stuff like this:The Germans were mostly divided onto 3 fronts.
The Eastern front which was Ukraine,Russian,Poland,Romania,Hungary,Baltics,etc or simply the whole bloody Soviet Union.
Then there would be the Italian or Mediterranean Front which occured from 1943-1945 if you count the final battle in Tunisia and the landings at Sicily.Of course that is where you would get your Italians for a 3rd axis faction...
Finally you have the Western Front which includes France,Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands. I think it's appropriate to remember that Germany still had Northern Italy (Fascist Italy and such) and Hungary on their side for future reference...
The Common Wealth had a massive number of resources available to them what with the extra help from Belgium,Poland, Czechoslovakia, Canada, New Zealand and all those other places.I don't know of any major Australian units in the European campaign...
The British faction I think should have units with access to special combat packages.For instance a Regulars Section (Tommy squad basically) could be given a scoped lee enfield,a bren lmg, or stens with a few small bonus skills per package.A Sten package would simply turn them into units akin to Shock troops or Assault Grenadiers with a sprint ability or a grenade volley(multi-grenade toss). A Bren package would be like having a mobile hmg with high accuracy but lots of reloads. Maybe a Vet 2 or 3 bonus would give it a 100 round drum.Scoped Enfields would be like COH1's version but with minor differences.

This is just for example of course.

I also think some special *Supply chain modifications* should affect their gameplay. The supply chains would permit you to access different types of units and add some little bonuses to your units. For example;one supply modification(upgrade) would give you access to Cromwells in place of Sherman tanks where another would give you access to Heavy Churchills and Royal Engineers. Another might add a single Thompson to an infantry section or permit you to build some ambulances.
Given that the real Common Wealth utilized Shermans they should be able to use them as a primary tank force alongside Churchill tanks.Kangaroos would probably be doctrine call in.Valentines could be a semi-decent early tank.Daimler scout cars would be your "SAS scout jeeps".

Perhaps you would have easy access to artillery and air forces but they'd be very expensive due to their op'ness. They'd be built anywhere on map or in a small dug-out similar to the USF's base with 4 or 5 hard-points where you can build radio towers to the Royal Airforce or artillery emplacements or bunkers that protect your officers so you can recruit units.So think:4-25pdrs pounding the enemy senseless but draining your munitions or plane spam which drains your fuel.

Late 1944 (as was mentioned) the CommonWealth lead armies were undergoing operation Market Garden, liberating the Channel Ports including the Scheldt Estuary and approaching the Gothic Line in Italy among other things. One can't forget the Rhineland battles either. During these battles there was loads of mud and flooded terrain but there were also some of the last tank battles.
Speaking of Tanks the British lead armies (21st Army group comes to mind) mainly made use of Shermans with a few Churchills here and there and lots of Bren carriers.
6 May 2015, 05:28 AM

Quick information for all Alpha Testers.

If you cannot run the game (a bugsplat appears after you start the game) then change the Alpha's language to German in Steam.

Right Click on Alpha -> Properties (or something like that) -> Language -> English.

The game will then update about 700MB and it should work.

Have fun and good luck when testing!
7 May 2015, 02:14 AM

I always thought of stuff like this:The Germans were mostly divided onto 3 fronts.
The Eastern front which was Ukraine,Russian,Poland,Romania,Hungary,Baltics,etc or simply the whole bloody Soviet Union.
Then there would be the Italian or Mediterranean Front which occured from 1943-1945 if you count the final battle in Tunisia and the landings at Sicily.Of course that is where you would get your Italians for a 3rd axis faction...
Finally you have the Western Front which includes France,Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands. I think it's appropriate to remember that Germany still had Northern Italy (Fascist Italy and such) and Hungary on their side for future reference...
The Common Wealth had a massive number of resources available to them what with the extra help from Belgium,Poland, Czechoslovakia, Canada, New Zealand and all those other places.I don't know of any major Australian units in the European campaign...
The British faction I think should have units with access to special combat packages.For instance a Regulars Section (Tommy squad basically) could be given a scoped lee enfield,a bren lmg, or stens with a few small bonus skills per package.A Sten package would simply turn them into units akin to Shock troops or Assault Grenadiers with a sprint ability or a grenade volley(multi-grenade toss). A Bren package would be like having a mobile hmg with high accuracy but lots of reloads. Maybe a Vet 2 or 3 bonus would give it a 100 round drum.Scoped Enfields would be like COH1's version but with minor differences.

This is just for example of course.

I also think some special *Supply chain modifications* should affect their gameplay. The supply chains would permit you to access different types of units and add some little bonuses to your units. For example;one supply modification(upgrade) would give you access to Cromwells in place of Sherman tanks where another would give you access to Heavy Churchills and Royal Engineers. Another might add a single Thompson to an infantry section or permit you to build some ambulances.
Given that the real Common Wealth utilized Shermans they should be able to use them as a primary tank force alongside Churchill tanks.Kangaroos would probably be doctrine call in.Valentines could be a semi-decent early tank.Daimler scout cars would be your "SAS scout jeeps".

Perhaps you would have easy access to artillery and air forces but they'd be very expensive due to their op'ness. They'd be built anywhere on map or in a small dug-out similar to the USF's base with 4 or 5 hard-points where you can build radio towers to the Royal Airforce or artillery emplacements or bunkers that protect your officers so you can recruit units.So think:4-25pdrs pounding the enemy senseless but draining your munitions or plane spam which drains your fuel.

Late 1944 (as was mentioned) the CommonWealth lead armies were undergoing operation Market Garden, liberating the Channel Ports including the Scheldt Estuary and approaching the Gothic Line in Italy among other things. One can't forget the Rhineland battles either. During these battles there was loads of mud and flooded terrain but there were also some of the last tank battles.
Speaking of Tanks the British lead armies (21st Army group comes to mind) mainly made use of Shermans with a few Churchills here and there and lots of Bren carriers.
I think Churchills will probably be commander call in like the last game. I'm not sure about how they will implement Fireflies again, probably a commander as well to be kind of like the Easy eight of the British with a heavier 17pdr gun.
7 May 2015, 06:20 AM

Like to see Ostheer fixed before new factions.
7 May 2015, 11:31 AM

I think the british will end up being a "Gucci" faction (high quality, few numbers, expensive units)

everyone loves gucci factions.

gucci gucci.
8 May 2015, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 May 2015, 06:20 AMiceman
Like to see Ostheer fixed before new factions.

Wheres the money in that.

Seriously there are a tonne of bugs/mechanics and design issues in this game that needs looking at. But Relic doesn't give two fucks.

Why ???

Because its aimed at the casual gamer. They pretend they want a serious competitive multiplayer scene
but the reality is 1v1 is only a tiny part of their game. Personally I would like them to come out and just say they don't give a fuck about high level multiplayer and just drop the charade.

8 May 2015, 14:52 PM

I personally think that the commonwealth should have quite a few units with lots of abilities or packages that make them more specialized.
(keep in mind that these are just placements for the real units)
Basic units:
Regulars:-Bren lmg -Stens -Scoped Lee Enfield
Royal Engineers:-Efficient Repairs -Sapper training -Mine detector (Unit available later on I guess.)
Dominion Volunteers:-Emergency replacements -Repair kit -Medical bags
Universal Carrier:-Wasp(flamethrower) -At rifle -2 pounder
Daimler Scout car:-Machine gunner -Reconnaissance
Valentine tank:-Spotter -6 pounder
Sherman tank:-Spotter -MG -Calliope
Churchill tank:-Spotter -95mm howtizer -Plow
Sherman VC Firefly:-Scope -MG -APDS shells (APDS possibly at vet level 2 or something)

Then you would have a few supply upgrades:UK supplies, American Imports, and Dominion support. These supply chains would give a few bonuses to your units as was mentioned in my other post. Bonuses such as an extra unit or two and a means to add some additional firepower to your individual infantry sections and vehicles among other things...

As mentioned American Imports would give 1 man in each infantry section a thompson. Sherman upgrades like the Calliope become available and possibly some of it's variations. You'll recieve a good bonus to gained munitions and fuel. You can get bazookas or something from your Supply Truck ((another feature which delivers your support weapons and such.)).Achilles 17pounder TD's also become available
UK supplies would give you access to churchill tanks, their upgrades and some of their variants like the heavy churchill, thd 95mm howitzer, the crocodile. The AVRE would be doctrine call-in.
You'll also get access to PIATs which can double as a miniature mortar, Cromwell tanks which replace the Sherman.Royal Engineers would also become available for use. They can do their sapper/engineer thing...Sherman VC Fireflies become available and they are devastating...
Dominion Supplies would give you manpower boosts, smaller muni and fuel bonuses, access to 2 pounder upgrades for the universal carrier.C15a trucks which double as ambulances and transports would become available. Sexton 25 pounder carriages would become available. Infantry and vehicles heal and reinforce more quickly.

This is just a rough idea of course but I've got lots more...

10 May 2015, 23:49 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I want gliders. They should squish blobs if you drop em on blobs.
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS