Login

russian armor

What did i do wrong (how do i beat US rifle blob)?

6 Apr 2015, 16:13 PM

I have a hard time dealing with rifle spam as Ostheer. I usually go for a backbone of 3 LMG gren squads backed up by a halftrack an mg and a mortar. If i see a LT i might go for a fast scout car to deal with a potential fast armored car of theirs. This replay is a typical game of mine. I start out OK and deal pretty good losses to the blobbing player, have acceptable map control and then reach a point when everything just crumbles in a minute and then the E8's come out and it's game over.

Shouldn't i have built the Ostwind? I don't think a P4 would have faired particularly well against the E8's anyway. Should my second pak have been faster? Should i have kept my units together instead of sending one gren squad south to harass the fuel of my opponent? I tried setting up a strong point in the middle by building a medic bunker, was this a mistake?

IMO i lost the match when he pushed hard with the blob and i lost the MG, one gren squad and the halftrack. How could i have kept him at bay?
6 Apr 2015, 17:33 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

A quick hint is to use the new Pioneers and the cloaked Sniper as an "early warning radar" to blobs, so you can react and prepare an appropriate defense. The other thing is realize a blobber usually isnt very strategically sound, and will probably throw the game away at some point if you just let them throw it away.

Just play ultra conservative and clever,and keep your calm until you can truly punish the blob.

I'll watch it later today for you
6 Apr 2015, 17:51 PM

curse you Cookiezncreem! it's been a long time since i've got to do a replay review. :(
6 Apr 2015, 18:06 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

6 Apr 2015, 20:04 PM

Aw, don't fight gentlemen. You can both review my replay. :)
6 Apr 2015, 22:25 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

You did a good job first engagement,when you force a full retreat then you need to rapidly move to secure territory he may have captured,including cutoffs and deny resources to truly punish a full retreat.

222 was bad choice,you know he went Veteran rifles,so you know he has a disproportionate amount of AT Rifle grenades. A halftrack or another MG42 wouldve been smarter

Also TRY to count how many rifles he's built.

If 3,then there will be an early LT+M20 most likely,so you know you need to rush T2 and scout car.

If 4(including .50cal,then there will be an AA HT or Captain Double officer tech,and a sniper+Pak should/would be good.

instead of 250+222+mortar,you shouldve went Sniper+Pak/another MG42/250 halftrack later

Also whats with that Doctrine? bit of an odd choice,thats not helping you. Didnt see the commanders you had in loadout.

at 11;39, no reason to have Mg42 in church. you know where hes coming from,why make your MG more vulnerable and slower to fire?

Med Bunker +250 was very smart in that position on that map. You take that page out of OMGPOP's book? if so,NICE. Keep doing it.

As I thought you did in my first post,you didnt know where the blob was even coming from,your 1 MG failed you,so he tore you a new one. I wouldnt even say the guy was a blobber,he was just exploiting a massive hole in your defenses/build order. He knew he had you beat so he just ran in.

Try:
S-Mine Fields whenever possible,especially on your flanks,so often people ignore or dont see the signs. This is a free squad wipe.(Start building one,then cancel it to make small patches of minefields for cheap.)
Double Pioneer start for extra sight,and upgrade flamers if hes camping buildings,dont waste muni on riflegrenades to clear houses early on)
Sniper for even more sight and manpower bleed
2x Mg42
250+Medbunker was very good on your part,do it some more!
you only need grenadiers for fausts. trying to Counterblob an american is just asking for it. I'd say 1,2 grens MAX. Combined arms is key for ostheer. Veto maps where your support weapons struggle(La Gleize,stalingrad,etc)

Again,EARLY WARNING helps a TON!
7 Apr 2015, 14:42 PM

222 was bad choice,you know he went Veteran rifles,so you know he has a disproportionate amount of AT Rifle grenades. A halftrack or another MG42 wouldve been smarter

I went 222 for fear of M20 but you are right, it didn't do me any good at all.

Also whats with that Doctrine? bit of an odd choice,thats not helping you. Didnt see the commanders you had in loadout.

I am bored with callins and are trying out different things. In this map i had Blitzkrieg, CAS and Jaeger Armor. I like blitzkrieg when going T3 (which i was planning on) because the smoke will help me avoid jacksons, tactical movement will help me react better to his actions and the command panzer is good for beefing up your P4's a bit.

Med Bunker +250 was very smart in that position on that map. You take that page out of OMGPOP's book? if so,NICE. Keep doing it.

I don't watch many replays, it was more a spur of the moment thing. But to be honest, i did read a thread the other day about OMGPOP and how he puts healing bunkers out in the field so that's probably where i got it from. The positioning of it was just a gamble.

As I thought you did in my first post,you didnt know where the blob was even coming from,your 1 MG failed you,so he tore you a new one. I wouldnt even say the guy was a blobber,he was just exploiting a massive hole in your defenses/build order. He knew he had you beat so he just ran in.

That's a really good point. I am usually poor at scouting my enemy. I often get surprised.

Try:
S-Mine Fields whenever possible,especially on your flanks,so often people ignore or dont see the signs. This is a free squad wipe.(Start building one,then cancel it to make small patches of minefields for cheap.)
Double Pioneer start for extra sight,and upgrade flamers if hes camping buildings,dont waste muni on riflegrenades to clear houses early on)
Sniper for even more sight and manpower bleed
2x Mg42
250+Medbunker was very good on your part,do it some more!
you only need grenadiers for fausts. trying to Counterblob an american is just asking for it. I'd say 1,2 grens MAX. Combined arms is key for ostheer. Veto maps where your support weapons struggle(La Gleize,stalingrad,etc)

Again,EARLY WARNING helps a TON!

Thanks a lot. Some great tips that i will take with me in the future. The reason for building 3 grens is more to get a reliable backbone for my army, i'm having a hard time dealing with the micro when i get too much support weapons. I try to never blob, whatever faction i play.
7 Apr 2015, 15:18 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ok... Try fortified armor if you have it.

You get the vehicle smoke to protect you from jacksons, you get a command panzer, AND a recon run for scouting.

And the elefant hard counters soviet Cheese shock rifle frontline.
You can usually get a P4+command p4 before elefant because of its CP cost

Mobile defense is good as well.
7 Apr 2015, 15:37 PM

Ok... Try fortified armor if you have it.

You get the vehicle smoke to protect you from jacksons, you get a command panzer, AND a recon run for scouting.

And the elefant hard counters soviet Cheese shock rifle frontline.
You can usually get a P4+command p4 before elefant because of its CP cost

Mobile defense is good as well.

Blitzkrieg has smoke, command panzer and recon run as well and the stuka CAS can be amazing under the right circumstances. If i'm gonna go elephant (which i do against IS2 and ISU commanders) i prefer the Jäger Armor with Riegel mines and spotting scopes. One of the only times i actually have good intel on the enemy is when i get spotting scopes for the scout car or vet a T70. Spotting scopes are one of my favourite wehr abilities.
7 Apr 2015, 15:48 PM

Against USF, you should get 3 grens > 1 mortar > 1 gren (small map)
OR you should get directly 4 grens (big map or many passes/hedges)

4 grens work very well against rifles. (give them lmg asap)
7 Apr 2015, 16:15 PM

Against USF, you should get 3 grens > 1 mortar > 1 gren (small map)
OR you should get directly 4 grens (big map or many passes/hedges)

4 grens work very well against rifles. (give them lmg asap)

Why no MGs?
8 Apr 2015, 22:24 PM

Why no MGs?

Cause early grenaide pack upgrade make them useless. And mid to late game rifles with bars can easily decrew it due to nice firepower.

I find hmg usefull against only soviets..
8 Apr 2015, 23:36 PM

The tip to spot the blob with a Sniper is really good. Nothing is more fun than to activate the Armorpiercing rounds on your MG before he enters the MG Arc, then watching him full retreat^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★