Login

russian armor

The Story of my Great Grandfather Albert Holthausen

29 Mar 2015, 00:39 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Since Jason shared his story so will I :)

My grandfather never knew his dad. He was born on the 16th of febuary 1945 when his mother and his siblings were fleeing from the American invasion troops. WHile they were fleeing my gradfather's father served as a pioneer around monte cassino. He never was a supporter of the Nazis nor was he willing to die for his land, he really hated the Nazi party and he was willing to openly express it.

He in fact never got caught by the gestapo or anything because he simply did nothing what would makethat necessary but it was well known, that he didn't like the party. The mayor of our hometown was a Nazi supporter first class. He hated my great grandfather really much but he couldn't get rid of him because he did not break any law.

But one day his time had come. My great grandfather was a butcher and he gavea shit about rations etc. He gave meat to other familys whenever he wanted to, not sticking to regulations or laws. One day this became public and the mayor reported my grandfather to the Gestapo. He was then force recruited (dunno how to say that but you know the deal). He was assigned to a German unit fighting in the north west of Italy between Imperia and Albenga as a pioneer. He eventually got his throat cut by an American patrol who surprised him while he was standing guard at a camp of German soldiers.

My grandfather grew up without a dad and he had some rough times because it was very difficult for his mom to take care of 7 kids shortly during the war, food was rare, so was important stuff to survive in general. They had absolutely NO idea where my great grandfather was buried they just knew he had fallen during the battle in Bartolomeo di Cervo (which is the exakt place where he died according to a document I got from my Grandpa).

at the end of 2009 my Grandfather finally succeded. He found the grave of his father! Those must have been the happiest moments of his life. He found out that he was buried on the war cementary in Costermano very close to the beatiful Lago di Garda. We vistited the cemetary around the easter-holidays in 2010. What an emotional day not only for my grandfather also for my whole family. He has a nice place just below a majestic tree. We visited him 3 more times.

This is just a part of the story! I hope i can provide some pictures of when we visited the cemetary but it will take a day or two :) Hope you enjoyed the story and I am not done yet because i will try to find out the units in which he served and maybe I am able to find out a bit more about his history!

29 Mar 2015, 15:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Thank you for sharing, Fichten. I am glad your grandfather and your family found closure. :)
29 Mar 2015, 16:11 PM

Worth reading,thank you.
30 Mar 2015, 13:18 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Updated the story :) My Great Grandfather never fought in Monte Cassino as it seems.
30 Mar 2015, 13:50 PM

Thank You for sharing Fichten. Im happy there was closeure for your grandfather and your family. While he may have died for a cuase he hated his willingness to put his family first no matter is worth all the honor.

Does this mean I gotta share now too o_O
30 Mar 2015, 13:53 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Thank You for sharing Fichten. Im happy there was closeure for your grandfather and your family. While he may have died for a cuase he hated his willingness to put his family first no matter is worth all the honor.

Does this mean I gotta share now too o_O

Thanks for the kind words :) It was a huge closure indeed!

You have to :p I am willing to read yours :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS