Login

russian armor

MGs are not supposed to kill?

29 Mar 2015, 08:04 AM

having suppression teams deal high damage while suppressing works perfectly fine; look at dow2. everything is more lethal in that game.

Thats not really a valid comparison as the game itself is much faster, scale is smaller and there is a melee mechanic, suppression isn't serving the same role as it is here, here its a support platform, in dow2 its heavy damage dealer with benefit of minor crowd control. Countering it in dow2 is also much easier, all you have to do is use jump troops.
29 Mar 2015, 09:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2015, 08:04 AMKatitof

Thats not really a valid comparison as the game itself is much faster, scale is smaller and there is a melee mechanic, suppression isn't serving the same role as it is here, here its a support platform, in dow2 its heavy damage dealer with benefit of minor crowd control. Countering it in dow2 is also much easier, all you have to do is use jump troops.

Actually it's harder, because in CoH2 literally all you do is walk up to the MG and kill the gunner no extra effort required.
29 Mar 2015, 09:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2015, 04:03 AMCieZ
Personally I'd rather see squads get pinned faster, or the suppression defensive bonus fade more rapidly.

My thoughts exactly.
(I've only got an example for the mg42. Ciez suggestion should obviously apply to all hmgs.)

Right now a vet0 or vet1 (not using incendiary rounds) mg42 cannot keep a single infantry squad pinned at medium range if the targeted squad is in yellow cover.
(EDIT: Actually pinning a squad in yellow cover in the first place takes ages btw. Due to the defensive buffs of suppresion I guess.)

Try it yourself it - the infantry squad will unpin briefly during the reload animation. That's just silly.
29 Mar 2015, 09:40 AM

Actually it's harder, because in CoH2 literally all you do is walk up to the MG and kill the gunner no extra effort required.

How pointing a jump ability from outside of heavy bolter range right on top of them and hardcountering it this way is harder then walking up to MG?
And since you're talking about killing gunner and not actually throwing a nade, then let me remind you this again:
Only one faction got obersoldaten and their power level over 9000 will get reduced to normal human strength in 3 days.
29 Mar 2015, 10:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2015, 09:40 AMKatitof

How pointing a jump ability from outside of heavy bolter range right on top of them and hardcountering it this way is harder then walking up to MG?
And since you're talking about killing gunner and not actually throwing a nade, then let me remind you this again:
Only one faction got obersoldaten and their power level over 9000 will get reduced to normal human strength in 3 days.

Jump Assault Marines into Shuriken
Banshees say Hello bonus dmg vs Power Armour
Bonus melee damage vs retreating squads
Lose EXPENSIVE models on retreat (from a 3 man squad!)

Run Rifles into MG42
Throw Grenade
Retreat
Lose 0 or 1 (or even 2, if you want to argue) model(s) from a 5 man squad because suppression reduces damage dealt

Jumping a squad into melee range is significantly more risky than throwing a grenade from 300km away with grenade bulletins.

"But derpface you have banshee + Shuriken vs Assault Marines, but only rifles vs. MG42!!"

Assault Marines = 500 req 50 power
Banshee = 400 req
Shuriken = 240 req 30 power
Total = 500 req/50 power vs 640 req/30 power. Not identical, but somewhat similar. 20 power for 140 req isn't an unreasonable difference.

Rifleman = 280 MP
MG42 = 240MP

29 Mar 2015, 10:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2015, 09:12 AMMadok

My thoughts exactly.
(I've only got an example for the mg42. Ciez suggestion should obviously apply to all hmgs.)

Right now a vet0 or vet1 (not using incendiary rounds) mg42 cannot keep a single infantry squad pinned at medium range if the targeted squad is in yellow cover.
(EDIT: Actually pinning a squad in yellow cover in the first place takes ages btw. Due to the defensive buffs of suppresion I guess.)

Try it yourself it - the infantry squad will unpin briefly during the reload animation. That's just silly.

The thing is, it take a lot of time for them to get pinned, and it also take soooooooo long to get our suppression. This is not good IMO. Squads should get suppressed and pinned faster, and also recover faster.

Only one faction got obersoldaten and their power level over 9000 will get reduced to normal human strength in 3 days...

I hope so.

29 Mar 2015, 14:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2015, 10:34 AMdpfarce

Jump Assault Marines into Shuriken
Banshees say Hello bonus dmg vs Power Armour
Bonus melee damage vs retreating squads
Lose EXPENSIVE models on retreat (from a 3 man squad!)

Run Rifles into MG42
Throw Grenade
Retreat
Lose 0 or 1 (or even 2, if you want to argue) model(s) from a 5 man squad because suppression reduces damage dealt

Jumping a squad into melee range is significantly more risky than throwing a grenade from 300km away with grenade bulletins.

"But derpface you have banshee + Shuriken vs Assault Marines, but only rifles vs. MG42!!"

Assault Marines = 500 req 50 power
Banshee = 400 req
Shuriken = 240 req 30 power
Total = 500 req/50 power vs 640 req/30 power. Not identical, but somewhat similar. 20 power for 140 req isn't an unreasonable difference.

Rifleman = 280 MP
MG42 = 240MP

so in your DOW II scenario you bring an extra unit into the equation but fail to do so with the COH 2 Scenario? How is that fair? if if your adding banshees to the mix then you have to add a gren squad or perhaps pioneers upgraded to the mix....
29 Mar 2015, 16:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump troops do shit for damage and camping anything on the setup team quickly forced them off. jump troops hard countering setup teams has nothing to do with the high damage and lack of suppression shield.

No, that's a very important consideration in the matter. If Y hard-counters X incredibly easily, then X logically is allowed to wreck Z about as hard, which is fine because you should just get a Y when you're having a problem with X. Suppression platforms were pretty much useless against jump melee, and that's why they did way more damage - a specific but easy to do situation would render them personally completely helpless, so they were compensated in the moments that situation did not happen for whatever reason (like, of course, regular melee fending them off cost-effectively).
29 Mar 2015, 18:06 PM

so in your DOW II scenario you bring an extra unit into the equation but fail to do so with the COH 2 Scenario? How is that fair? if if your adding banshees to the mix then you have to add a gren squad or perhaps pioneers upgraded to the mix....

The problem is Assault Marines cost like twice as much as the Shuriken. Even with the Banshees added on top it is like 640 requisition (Manpower) and 30 power (fuel/munition) vs 500 requisition and 50 power. So not that uneven.

The MG42 however costs as much as a Conscript squad already. Add a Grenadier and you have double the amount of ressources invested. Also, what would a Grenadier squad change in that situation? They don't do much damage quickly in the first place and won't be able to prevent any action from the attacking squad, nevermind with the defensive bonus on supressed units, unless you spend another 30 munition to throw a grenade. In that case the question is if the Machine Gun is adding much to this situation in the first place or could be replaced by anything else.
29 Mar 2015, 19:04 PM

Actually every faction can kill gunners fairly easy, they all have only 80 health with 25% more received accuracy. And the issue is exacerbated with the MG42 and 34 because they only have a 4 man crew and take long to swivel and acquire their targets and begin suppression.

Not to mention grenades, so you don't even need to risk your jump units by jumping them into possibly an enemy army you can just crawl up to the MG and kill it with a grenade. Or just move 2 squads into the line of fire and kill the MG because it won't be able to swivel in time to hit you.

The MG42/34 either need a larger crew size, better swivel and firing time, or they need to lose the stupid outdated 25% more received accuracy.
29 Mar 2015, 19:07 PM

The MG42/34 either need a larger crew size, better swivel and firing time, or they need to lose the stupid outdated 25% more received accuracy.

Yup, this really needs to be the case. I would apply it to DShk, .50 cal and Maxim too.
29 Mar 2015, 19:11 PM

Vet 2 grens rifle grenades dont help either... Step at the edge of the arc, rifle grenade the gunner from a mile away, and the rifles will finish the crew.
29 Mar 2015, 19:25 PM

Yup, this really needs to be the case. I would apply it to DShk, .50 cal and Maxim too.

The DShk and Maxim both have 6 crew men, in their case they need to have the bunching mechanics fixed so they don't get 1 shot by rifle nades. For them the 25% more received accuracy isn't as much of a big deal.

But it would be nice to see as suggested earlier it made so were the gunner is always the last crew member to die.

Vet 2 grens rifle grenades dont help either... Step at the edge of the arc, rifle grenade the gunner from a mile away, and the rifles will finish the crew.

This isn't helped by the bunching mechanics making it so your crew are all in one big group hug when the nade goes off.
30 Mar 2015, 00:07 AM

Did you even read what I posted?
30 Mar 2015, 00:49 AM
Patrion 28

i'm going to keep talking about DoW2 because it's still relevant.

in a suppression team vs jump troop scenario, you can buy another setup team to cover the first one and you still hardcounter the suppression team for a little more investment than the jump team (suppression teams are 30 power each, jump troops are 40-50 power).

additionally, not all factions have jump troops. SM and orks have them in t1 and chaos and eldar have them in t2 but eldars jump troops are not melee troops. ig doesn't get any.

the biggest difference i see between dow2 and coh2 is that setup teams were much more expensive in dow2 than coh2 compared to regular units in that they cost a medium amount of requisition and power where as regular infantry do not cost power.

in coh2 regular infantry and suppression teams all cost the same so you can always have an equal amount on the field. it's part of the problem with the maxim and making suppression teams cost more mp would make the mg42 and mg43 easier to balance.
30 Mar 2015, 01:01 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

additionally, not all factions have jump troops. SM and orks have them in t1 and chaos and eldar have them in t2 but eldars jump troops are not melee troops. ig doesn't get any.

the biggest difference i see between dow2 and coh2 is that setup teams were much more expensive in dow2 than coh2 compared to regular units in that they cost a medium amount of requisition and power where as regular infantry do not cost power.

in coh2 regular infantry and suppression teams all cost the same so you can always have an equal amount on the field. it's part of the problem with the maxim and making suppression teams cost more mp would make the mg42 and mg43 easier to balance.

Slightly related note, the Elite mod for the game added an "Artillery Spotter" unit for IG I think mostly for the purpose of giving the IG a suppression team counter. They use quick-dropping single mortar shell abilities, the primary one being one that does some damage and knockbacks on a target area with a range that's farther than weapon teams. It costs about the same as a suppression team, I'd imagine because their abilities don't necessarily guarantee a retreat from suppression teams like jumps squads do, another unit will have to take advantage of the suppression team having been forced to re-position.

Yeah, that's definitely a big factor in the matter for CoH2. I'd not mind HMGs being more fearsome (and I really want Maxims to be actually useful against blobs), but it's certainly impossible when they cost the same as infantry squads, as we'd go back to HMG spam with its only distinct weakness being "Doesn't have AT ability/weapon", long before major vehicles come out.
30 Mar 2015, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

This isn't helped by the bunching mechanics making it so your crew are all in one big group hug when the nade goes off.

This isn't help by veterancy mechanics which gives a longer range to Rnades, even more than the MG range.
30 Mar 2015, 01:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

This isn't help by veterancy mechanics which gives a longer range to Rnades, even more than the MG range.

That's like most of the problem with M2HBs against Wehrmacht right there.

Obviously against OKW, the most of the problem is instead Obers.
30 Mar 2015, 03:01 AM

MG's are supposed to suppress but as of now, it doesn't seem to be the case. With any faction, you can literally walk up to the MG(Either it takes 3+ seconds for the MG to suppress or it doesn't suppress at all), or crawl into the MG and kill the gunner and force a retreat; or if you're lucky you can kill the whole weapons team with a grenade.

Compare MG'2 in CoH1 to CoH2; in CoH1, MG's at vet 0/1 actually do their job and you actually have to flank, or your troops will be suppressed almost immediately. The MG's also do fair amount of damage so it prevents enemy units from crawling from long range into grenade range and killing the MG team. In CoH2, we have blobs of infantry running straight into the MG and forcing it to retreat or killing the crew outright.

I would support increasing the suppression, arc traverse and damage on the MG34 and MG42 so people would actually have to flank.
30 Mar 2015, 08:23 AM

Let's not forget that in COh1 a deployed Mg could not capture teritorry. How would this go along with Maxim? Virtualy maxims have no "undeployed" stance. You can't have both capture teritory ability while being deployed and the power from COH1. I guess it wouldn't be right.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★