Login

russian armor

MGs are not supposed to kill?

27 Mar 2015, 23:59 PM

I mean, HMGs are excellent at suppression but they seem to be absolutely terrible at actually killing infantry at a reasonable pace for late game.

Early on the suppresion matters far more than it does at late game where there are many ways to avoid or simply overwhelm it, but what makes less sense is that a mounted MG is worse in every way as a weapon compared to a handheld MG34 or even MG42.

I understand DPS isn't their point in the game and that a 240 MP starting unit (varies) shouldn't really come with a built-in even better LMG34 or anything, but it feels like they should have access to some upgrades that move them more from suppressing to killing later on. Or more long range accuracy, does it make sense to any of you guys that Obers fire MG34 more effectively on the move than the MG34 crew can fire theirs at long range?

I mean there are only so many cases where you can do the First Strike with Incendiary Ammunition combo.
28 Mar 2015, 00:07 AM

The upgrade is vet, and sometimes AoE bonuses.

Fo example, I just had a game where a stolen vet 3 MG42 poited out of a window of a FHQ at a sturmpio squad that had closed in to try kill it and wiped it in a single burst.

T'was glorious.
28 Mar 2015, 00:30 AM
Patrion 28

that damage aura
28 Mar 2015, 01:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Suppressed units receive less accuracy from their suppress-er, so the HMG that suppressed them is going to have a hard time finishing the squad off. It doesn't really bother me on its own...aside from how XP is based off kills and damage done. I wish HMGs got some XP for suppressing units.
28 Mar 2015, 01:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2015, 01:03 AMVuther
Suppressed units receive less accuracy from their suppress-er, so the HMG that suppressed them is going to have a hard time finishing the squad off. It doesn't really bother me on its own...aside from how XP is based off kills and damage done. I wish HMGs got some XP for suppressing units.

+1. At least give them xp for suppressing up to vet 1. It's painfully hard to vet up MGs unless light vehicles drive into their arc of fire.
28 Mar 2015, 02:15 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2015, 01:07 AMCieZ

+1. At least give them xp for suppressing up to vet 1. It's painfully hard to vet up MGs unless light vehicles drive into their arc of fire.

I think that we should just get rid of the reduced damage taken by suppressed squads mechanic. This way it is quite painful to crawl into an MG the toss a nade, and will also buff the dshk and all of the mgs in general.
28 Mar 2015, 04:03 AM

I think that we should just get rid of the reduced damage taken by suppressed squads mechanic. This way it is quite painful to crawl into an MG the toss a nade, and will also buff the dshk and all of the mgs in general.

If they nerfed MG raw DPS to compensate that might be fine.

Personally I'd rather see squads get pinned faster, or the suppression defensive bonus fade more rapidly. Both would make running into MGs more punishing because, as you've pointed out... right now it's pretty easy to run into nade range and just not care - which is silly. MGs should be dislodged by flanking, not by caveman right clicking straight at them and tossing a nade.
28 Mar 2015, 05:23 AM

It's not an unrealistic dynamic. HMGs are generally used to pound an area, you cannot be accurate with these weapons at long range esspecially when putting a high rate of fire down.

Of course, caught in a killing zone, they will murder. But any cover and people will always want to duck out the way.

HMGs actually have inacuracy built into them, like ones that move backwards and forwards on a rail firing a round at both ends of the rail, this is to increase the size of the "beating pattern" I.e. Larger area of suppression effect.

LMGs carried on a squad level, tend to be used at closer ranges, with controled bursts or even deliberate fire.

So to me, the mechanic makes sense.

Try using MGs on blind corners to do more damage with them.
28 Mar 2015, 08:51 AM

The MG is supposed to be a supression weapon; it doesn't do more damage because units 'hit the dirt' (get suppressed) so that they don't get caught by the massive amounts of bullets being sprayed. In the game, it takes as long as it does to supress so it isn't stupid to use, forcing you to spot for it for maximum effect.

It isn't supposed to kill your enemy and it isn't unrealistic that it doesn't.

Nading an MG isn't that big of a deal since it takes munitions, so forcing your enemy to use munitions like that can work out in your favor. I personally think it is a heroic thing to do hur hur hur.
I do think it would be awesome for MGs to get exp for supression or at least exp for units dying while they are suppressing them though.
28 Mar 2015, 09:26 AM

At vet 2 they get more suppression and act the way I think an MG should act (still not as good as the vCOH MG, but whatever).

I'd rather they switched the Vet 1 incendiary and the extra suppression. If you keep your MG alive for the first few engagements, that usually vets it if you can get a few kills in and survives a retreat. I see why they did it that way (popping incendiary ought to quickly get you to vet 2 if you catch someone off guard), but frankly the default suppression just doesn't trigger fast enough to deal with even two squads coming from slightly different angles.

It's fun to catch a noob with his light vehicle not paying attention to incendiary rounds but at higher skill levels, that ability just doesn't pay off vs vehicles. It would be better for Ostheer if they could use the burning bullets later during bigger engagements vs shocks and so on and got better suppression earlier. It has a slightly better than marginal effect vs troops and at max range I don't think it does much.

Switch the vets, Relic...

28 Mar 2015, 10:10 AM

Saying MG42 aren't killing isn't unrealistic, dafug dude.

No one crazy enough charge into that deadly gun which have 60 rounds per second even able to cut down trees.
28 Mar 2015, 10:17 AM

If MGs were supposed to be killers, suppression wouldn't have added defensive modifiers for some time.
28 Mar 2015, 10:33 AM
Benefactor 115

28 Mar 2015, 10:47 AM

Look at the member list

Kappa

Well, at least GTA V (PC) is coming out soon. :p
28 Mar 2015, 13:00 PM

Ima head off to my second life in Los Santos.
28 Mar 2015, 14:25 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Invised a post and the follow-ups which were esentially promoting a break of the NDA
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
United Kingdom 18
Germany 32

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak