Login

russian armor

It's all MINE - Let's talk about mines

27 Mar 2015, 15:08 PM

I'm a big fan of using mines in CoH2, I find it almost the go-to in big games when things boil down to defensive play. TM-35 is definitely my favourite since it is both cheap and capable of harming both infantry and armor. For Axis I enjoy the great squad wiping chance of S-mines on retreat paths and the Teller instantly taking down light vehicles. I haven't really looked into the Schu-mines and I am curious about it.

I am hoping to find some players here who know more about mines. I want to broaden my understanding about it. Any techniques? Certain issues I should be aware about? Good spots to place mines on certain maps? It's all about mines.
27 Mar 2015, 15:38 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Use Schu mines like soviet mines. I think they're the exact same mine except visually

I like to put mines on Crossroads or roads in general since vehicles tend to path themselves on to roads by default.

It's also funny to put a mine in a doorway, against a guy that likes fallschrimjager, or put a mine on Ice on maps like rzhev winter.

Putting s mines on distant flank points that an enemy may not pay attention to while sending a Squad to cap is always good

27 Mar 2015, 15:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Behind barbed wire is also a good position. It's always a safe bet people will want to break the wire with a vehicle
27 Mar 2015, 17:29 PM

Schu-mines and Soviet TM-35 mines are the same mine. 200 damage, 5 AoE radius, same price. Good mine.

Mines are really good but put some thought into what you really want to use them for. A 30 munitions mine that kills 2-3 Grenadiers or Riflemen is decent value but that more or less equals a good grenade. Some factions/commanders have access to demo-charges which, while more expensive, are far better for wiping out entire squads and will give you a better return for investment against infantry. If you want an anti-infantry trap as Soviets then consider the demo-charge.

Think about your strategy. Are you trying to stall for heavy armor and fear a light or medium armor piece ruining your day? Throw mines on flanks, near AT guns, and generally just behind your battle-lines so that they don't get detonated by enemy infantry as often. Try to preserve them for the light armor that threatens to punish you.

It's interesting to see the rise of Close Air Support doctrine because it really shows how powerful the Wehrmacht teller mine is. At 500 damage it will instantly kill any American tank/vehicle that is not a Sherman. Even the Jackson dies in one teller mine. 50 munitions for 350m/125f? That's value! This little killer is much underestimated.

27 Mar 2015, 21:13 PM

Why does close air support show off tellar mines?

I think, for Werh, if your going to play combined arms defensive play rather than gren spam, S mines are essential as a close part of your force to close some of the flanking routes to your MGs.

They can also really help hold your cut off or fuel, helping your force to stay compact and not get spread out too much.
27 Mar 2015, 21:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Schu-mines and Soviet TM-35 mines are the same mine. 200 damage, 5 AoE radius, same price. Good mine.

Mines are really good but put some thought into what you really want to use them for. A 30 munitions mine that kills 2-3 Grenadiers or Riflemen is decent value but that more or less equals a good grenade. Some factions/commanders have access to demo-charges which, while more expensive, are far better for wiping out entire squads and will give you a better return for investment against infantry. If you want an anti-infantry trap as Soviets then consider the demo-charge.

Think about your strategy. Are you trying to stall for heavy armor and fear a light or medium armor piece ruining your day? Throw mines on flanks, near AT guns, and generally just behind your battle-lines so that they don't get detonated by enemy infantry as often. Try to preserve them for the light armor that threatens to punish you.

It's interesting to see the rise of Close Air Support doctrine because it really shows how powerful the Wehrmacht teller mine is. At 500 damage it will instantly kill any American tank/vehicle that is not a Sherman. Even the Jackson dies in one teller mine. 50 munitions for 350m/125f? That's value! This little killer is much underestimated.

Actually the teller mine does 400 damage since 1 or 2 patches and cost was lowered to 50

I think, for Werh, if your going to play combined arms defensive play rather than gren spam, S mines are essential as a close part of your force to close some of the flanking routes to your MGs.

They can also really help hold your cut off or fuel, helping your force to stay compact and not get spread out too much.

If you rely purely on paks and optionally a shreck you're very vulnerable to armour charging through your lines. Teller mines deal heavy damage so the flanking tank will die fast.
Provided the teller doesn't bug out like it sometimes does
28 Mar 2015, 00:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Because you can build lots

+++++++++++++

The Riegal mine is a nasty surprise to people too, because it will immobilise and is it not common enough that people are ready for that. It can frequently mean a lost tank if it is laid somewhere they cannot get engineers too.

+++++++++++++

A Teller mine in the middle of an S-Mine field is also fun for dealing with people who will try to sweep them by driving a tank through it

+++++++++++++

Thing is though, "An obstacle not covered by fire is not an obstacle"

Most people don't keep their minefields under observation, which makes them trivially easy to sweep
28 Mar 2015, 00:32 AM

Mines on ice make for epic laughs sometimes. If you are in a really good trolling mood, then a mine with a demo charge ontop of it makes for even more laughs and instakills an awful lot of stuff. Place the demo just in front of the mine so whatever sets the mine off is definitely right on top of the demo.

If I have munitions to burn, I often put a mine on both sides of wire. It will either stop an advance twice, or potentially kill the vehicle trying to break the wire in one go.

Early game mines on roads, paths, doorways and flanks almost always offer some decent results.

If you are in a stalemate, sneaking behind the lines and laying mines is always good too, not only causes some good kills, but means your opponent has to invest in sweepers and time to clear paths for valuable units.
28 Mar 2015, 01:51 AM
Patrion 14

Use Schu mines like soviet mines. I think they're the exact same mine except visually

I like to put mines on Crossroads or roads in general since vehicles tend to path themselves on to roads by default.

It's also funny to put a mine in a doorway, against a guy that likes fallschrimjager, or put a mine on Ice on maps like rzhev winter.

Putting s mines on distant flank points that an enemy may not pay attention to while sending a Squad to cap is always good

this is a little of hit and miss. sometimes, i believe models spawn sequentially one after another. so i had times where falls stepped onto a mine as spawning, but only one guy "spawned" yet, so only he died and others were just fine. and killed my purposely parked katyusha near a building.

--------------------

anyway, i like defensive mines. a lot of aggressive mines are detected too easily by ppl who uses mine sweepers.
aaa
28 Mar 2015, 03:15 AM

How to sweep a mine. Engineer with tools
find and destroys the mine autoaticaly? If not what should I do to get rid off mine?
28 Mar 2015, 04:57 AM

Engie with sweepers auto detect mines, and you should get an auto que telling you mine detected.

But they wont clear them on their own, you need to then click the mine. If you use attack move to an area, the engie will auto clear any mines they find :)
28 Mar 2015, 04:58 AM

@aaa: Mines are swept automatically if the sweeper squad has no other assignment and is close enough, or by clicking on it manually. Demos can be defused as well, but they can still be detonated in the process, so its dangerous as eff...
28 Mar 2015, 05:12 AM

So a demo would be better dealt with a controlled explosion. Use a nade or target with a vehicle.
28 Mar 2015, 07:09 AM
Patrion 14

So a demo would be better dealt with a controlled explosion. Use a nade or target with a vehicle.

Just remember that all grenades have a lower penetration value than the demo has armor. In other words, it may not always go off, reuslting in asted resources. Use a tank/ atgun/ mortar to have best chance of detonation at minimal cost.
28 Mar 2015, 07:48 AM
Senior Editor Badge

As VanVoort said about the Riegel mines, they are guaranteed to immobilize, just like the M20 mine.
That being said, mines don't always change games; they can end them too.

The M7 AT mine for USF is decent; I believe they are best used when placed five at a time (as the chance of dealing a crit increases with each mine, up to five). They do damage to light vehicles, maybe medium tanks. I have seen KTs roll over them like nothing.

If you're going armor company (Assault Engineers can lay M7s), you could pair a couple of mines with a demo, or get a soviet teammate to plant a demo. I would assume the demo would go off from the mine detonation.

I really think that the USF need some sort of Anti Infantry mine that is non-doctrinal. Huuuuge design flaw.

TM-35 and Schu mine are best mines in the game because they are both cheap and effective against infantry and vehicles.
9 Apr 2015, 04:32 AM
Admin Red  Badge

I really love the feeling when light vehicles drive over my Tellermine. Tellermines nullify a lot ressources invested in critical early game wherefore I try to use Tellermines in as many games as possible. It definitely helps to deny light vehicle harassment on Ostheer.
10 Apr 2015, 19:16 PM

Can anyone clarify a little bit about S-mines for me? Specifically, I'm wondering what the mine spread is when the engis only finish 1/4 of the locations. Also how is the muni cost split on that?

Playing against, it still seems that some mines get spread across the whole square rather than just the quarter that the engis finished
30 Apr 2015, 03:21 AM

I love to put mine behind some green cover that frequent used by enemy or other side of cover of what i used all the time, if enemy have no mortar that is. it is always funny to watch a shock troop charge to my units' cover try to close combat me and got hit by a mine and then retreat immediately and sometime i wipe it. I do think Ost S mine should able to choose 1 only instead need to place 4 at same time, the munition drain is pretty bad
30 Apr 2015, 10:20 AM
Donator 11

Mine MINE! Mines everywhere!

As a Soviet Player: always place mines... they are cheap and very strong
Ostheer: some Tellerminen on the roads/ your flanks or Minenfelder around you cut-off is great though
Okw: cheap, good Counter against M20, Clown Car and Flak HT in the beginning
USF: I usally dont use this 5ammo mines...

New Faction: I hope they will get some strong expensive mines equal to the Ostheer mines.
7 May 2015, 22:04 PM
Patrion 27

I have a question about sweeping mines. I know if engineers with mine disposal equipment are idle near a mine they will automatically sweep it, but what about when they are simply told to move or attack move?

Or do you specifically have to tell them to sweep the mine when they reveal it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★